Closed Thread
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
I don't know which position has the microsd slot on the n900 but imho the mobidapter could be used only if the port is on a side of the device, otherwise there would be no space to make it enter inside.

Anyone with the real thing, please confirm if the Mobidapter plunge could be inserted, or is the slot recessed and can't be reached?
The internal card connector position is shown here:

http://mynokiablog.files.wordpress.c...pg?w=550&h=412

In case a direct image link doesn't work, the corresponding article is here: http://mynokiablog.com/2009/09/14/no...e-pics-inside/

EDIT: Sorry, I'm on a slow connection - I see that others already posted this information

Last edited by Otaku; 2009-09-21 at 06:08. Reason: Too slow :)

The Following User Says Thank You to Otaku For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
Good point, but in practice, if someone asks me to read a USB stick, it would be a bit awkward to pop the back plate of the phone, stick in the Mobidapter and the USB stick, and somehow hold the device so the screen is visible without the Mobidapter falling out and damaging the connector in the process. What I could imagine working is if you jury-rigged a ribbon cable connector from the Mobidapter that could then be fed into the n900 internal connector. Still would look pretty Frankenstein-ish, though.

The idea of a BT to USB adapter, if one exists, sounds much better.
Carrying a bag of adapters kinda defeats both the purpose of mobile computing and the original ideea that separate charging and usb ports mean more cables

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Just had a thought. There's a compact USB to BT adapter that most of us already have: our current NITs.

If this issue is the only thing keeping you from leaving the laptop at the office, then I suggest throwing your n8x0 and your OTG adapter in your briefcase for just such situations.

Make sure your Maemo devices are already paired and copy the data over BT.

Someone needs to write a Diablo app for this purpose!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by qole View Post

Someone needs to write a Diablo app for this purpose!
sshfs is your friend?

Though I'd LOVE to bring less stuff with me and still be ready for anything

Last edited by debernardis; 2009-09-21 at 06:48.

Will the N900 (hardware and software) support using it as a 3G modem for a laptop, tethering to the laptop by USB? by WiFi? by bluetooth? USB and/or WiFi is prefered over bluetooth since they support higher bandwidth and (perhaps) lower latency. (I tether my v9m to my laptop over USB and bluetooth and get 3G. I'd like to replace it with an N900.)

As long as we're considering solutions that require an extra device, this device can do file transfers between two USB mass storage devices: http://reviews.cnet.com/hubs/sima-hi...-31997849.html

The article is from 2006 so there may be newer, smaller versions out by now.

Posts: 337 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ München, DE
Originally Posted by qole View Post
If this issue is the only thing keeping you from leaving the laptop at the office, then I suggest throwing your n8x0 and your OTG adapter in your briefcase for just such situations.

That sounds painfully slow if you want to copy more than one or two word documents.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Originally Posted by Otaku View Post
As long as we're considering solutions that require an extra device, this device can do file transfers between two USB mass storage devices: http://reviews.cnet.com/hubs/sima-hi...-31997849.html

The article is from 2006 so there may be newer, smaller versions out by now.
Quite expensive - Qole's suggestion is cheaper

http://www.amazon.com/Sima-USB-101-D...61203435/ref=p

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
in this day and age, i am surprised that there is no adapter made that does usb to bluetooth and runs of a AA or two...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tso For This Useful Post:
Posts: 402 | Thanked: 451 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ India
Originally Posted by tso View Post
in this day and age, i am surprised that there is no adapter made that does usb to bluetooth and runs of a AA or two...
Huge file transfers over bluetooth can be slower! Also, that device may not be even cheap! But again, I may take that as a solution, though not happily!

The Following User Says Thank You to vkv.raju For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread

Tags
awesomeness in the works, boulevard of broken deals, host, i am the dealbreaker, inspector gadget lies, mobidapter is a scam, nokia fanbois, otg, over 9000, usb, usbcontrol