Notices

Hi,
What kind of video format is "readable" by the 770 player. .Mov and .mpg4 are not supported

I found a list which video/audio/image formats are the supported in Nokia 770. list can be found here:

http://tinyurl.com/99kor

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
My experience showed that the Nokia 770 cannot play any video I give to it, unless it has been encoded specially. And even then it has problems with long videos (read: movies).
Encoding instructions can be found in the Wiki:

http://maemo.org/maemowiki/VideoEncoding

I hope the player will be improved...

Mpeg1 works just fine in my 770.
Problem: because I think that mpeg4-files are smaller than mpeg1-files, I tried some Windows programs to convert DVD/mpeg2-files to mpeg4 with both of subformats DivX and XviD, but they don't work in my 770.
770's demo file IceAge2_trailer.avi is DivX 352x208 and naturally it plays in 770. So 770 is able to play mpeg4s/DivX's and my problem seems to be the conversion to DivX.

Has anybody succeeded to make (in 770) playable DivX- or XviD-files? (Instructions in maemo-wiki are for Linux-PC.)
If so, which (Windows) converter and which codec? (mpeg2 to mpeg4)

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 3 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ The Netherlands
I gave it a couple of tries with the windows port of Mencoder using both the settings of the maemo wiki and www.cybersystem.de, neither resulted in video files which could be run in the 770's video player. It attempts to load the file, shows the length and then
gives an error message. I think most of nokia's dev team efforts went into the browser,
which works beautifully IMHO, quite a few of the other apps are still somewhat buggy.
I hope they will release an update in the near future.

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
I have and I haven't had any problems. I've used mencoder. Just remember to keep bitrate nice and easy at cap 300 for video.

maybe a port of other applications like xine or mplayer on nokia 770 would help to watch videos...

Originally Posted by pycage
My experience showed that the Nokia 770 cannot play any video I give to it, unless it has been encoded specially. And even then it has problems with long videos (read: movies).
Encoding instructions can be found in the Wiki:

http://maemo.org/maemowiki/VideoEncoding

I hope the player will be improved...
I used the smallest settings from this page and got playable videos up to about 90 minutes (the Firefly series opener double episode). I have yet to watch them all the way through yet but they load and start and look pretty good.

I have edited and made a lot of DVD=mpeg2 home videos with Ulead VideoStudio and with it is a snap to convert mpeg2 to mpeg1. I love "snap"-converters!!
Now I realize that my in 770 not-working mpeg4s' size is not smaller than mpeg1's against my privious expectations. And think that 770 videoplayer has an inherent size limitation of 352x288 pixel. So, I'm afraid that Windows mpeg4 converting is a fruitless attempt.

To confirm those thoughts:
- What is the size of 352x288 mpeg4 made by _mencoder_ (MBs per minut)(such a mpeg1 is 10 MB/min)?
- could not find Windows-MenCoder! For Linux/Mac platforms only. PC-Linux is too heavy addition for me. So, is there somewhere a (hopefully "snap") Win-mencoder?

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
you can use different settings. 300kbps+64 for audio is very good quality. it will result in 2.7 MB/min. I use 128+42 for series like joey, which results in 1.2MB/min. the quality isn't that good, but good enough for stand-up.