Hey guys.

I'm on the fence about buying a N900 at the moment and I wouldn't mind some insights / comments.

Frankly, the phone looks great. The only thing really holding me back is waiting for the coming update (More time for other applications to get polished, too), and the Droid.

Overall, I think I prefer the N900 to the Droid. I like playing around with Linux, I like that I could get some native-Linux apps running on it if I recompile them, and having X is great. I prefer the hardware too.

My biggest concern though is relating to the next N-device. I know it's likely not to be a massive upgrade over the tech inside of the N900, but Maemo being updated and the N900 kicked to the curb after only a couple of months really doesn't inspire confidence in buying it. Where as with the Droid, I assume, Android will be updated for it, and the development community is very strong for Android, even if it is a different style of one.

So do people have any suggestions? I really am looking a mini computer, so the N900 is right up my street - but I am not a coder. If Maemo is updated within a couple of months to a year of me buying a N900 I'll feel very burnt.

Is it something to worry about? Should I jump for the Droid despite a preference for the N900? Do I wait?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by rsuffix View Post
Hey guys.

I'm on the fence about buying a N900 at the moment and I wouldn't mind some insights / comments.

Frankly, the phone looks great. The only thing really holding me back is waiting for the coming update (More time for other applications to get polished, too), and the Droid.

Overall, I think I prefer the N900 to the Droid. I like playing around with Linux, I like that I could get some native-Linux apps running on it if I recompile them, and having X is great. I prefer the hardware too.

My biggest concern though is relating to the next N-device. I know it's likely not to be a massive upgrade over the tech inside of the N900, but Maemo being updated and the N900 kicked to the curb after only a couple of months really doesn't inspire confidence in buying it. Where as with the Droid, I assume, Android will be updated for it, and the development community is very strong for Android, even if it is a different style of one.

So do people have any suggestions? I really am looking a mini computer, so the N900 is right up my street - but I am not a coder. If Maemo is updated within a couple of months to a year of me buying a N900 I'll feel very burnt.

Is it something to worry about? Should I jump for the Droid despite a preference for the N900? Do I wait?

Any advice is appreciated, thanks!
Having used both, my feeling is that you will be fine with the N900. No one knows the answers to the upgrade paths for either the Droid or the N900, so don't make your decision on a total unknown. You could pick the Droid only to find out that a future version of Android has features that require hardware not found in the Droid.

My guess is that the successor to the N900 will not be coming in a "few months". But even if it does, why would that prevent you from continuing to use your N900?

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

The Following User Says Thank You to MountainX For This Useful Post:
My biggest concern though is relating to the next N-device. I know it's likely not to be a massive upgrade over the tech inside of the N900, but Maemo being updated and the N900 kicked to the curb after only a couple of months really doesn't inspire confidence in buying it.
Well it's my understanding that the next Maemo device won't be out until sometime in 2011 (and past experience with Nokia's protracted development makes me think so too ) so you should have a decent amount of time to use it while being fully supported. Even once the next Maemo comes, it could still run on the N900. In the past when then N800 replaced the 770 there was the Maemo hacker version which allowed you to mostly use the new system on the 770 (unsupported).

If an updated device came out it wouldn't stop me using my N900, not at all. The only concern I'd have is if a device using an updated Maemo version was released it would end up shifting development of applications and the like from Freemantle.

If there isn't an update to it until 2011 though, that makes me feel better about it. Thanks!

Posts: 516 | Thanked: 643 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Denmark/Poland
Welcome to the forum

Frankly: If you like to play with Linux, even sometimes compile/recompile something: don't even hesitate. N900 is for you.
Also, the general experience of having a computer with you is great. I have access to all the Nokia devices, but this beats everything. N97 can't even compare. With N810 I didn't have this impression of having a computer with me, now I sometimes do not take my laptop with me, knowing that I can do my (basic) stuff on N900.

Regarding the new model: it seems that N900 will not be just left behind, as most of the new software (written for Maemo 6) should be possible to compile and work on N900 (although obviously lacking hardware extras, such as multi-touch).
I don't also think that we will see the new device so quickly, probably a year at least.

Useful links for newcomers:
Użyteczne linki:
Nowi użyktownicy mówią cześć | New members say hello , Tu zaczynają nowi użytkownicy | New users start here, Podforum społeczności | Community subforum, Wiki dla początkujących | Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Często zadawane pytania | Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ), Google

Jeżeli mogę w czymś pomóc, pytaj!
If I can help with anything else, just ask!

Bored? Follow me

The Following User Says Thank You to hopbeat For This Useful Post:
Reading your post, and if I were you, I would get the Droid and maybe pick up a small tablet running Linux. I got the SmartV7 and am enjoying it a lot for about $200 - there are other, better options out.

The N900 is to me very much an interim stepping stone with flaws that will never bed worked out due to the short lifespan it will have.

The next N will have significant changes to both screen type and operating system (Harmattan) to just mention two known ones.The maemo development community also need to grow before it moves away from the 'beta-then-discontinued'-state that so many Diablo apps exist(ed) in.

The droid development community does seem active and as many have expressed on this forum: You don't/shouldn't have access to the command line as a user - then there is no big difference between using the two.

End of the day either device is a phone with some bells and whistles. Pick the ones that works for you. Neither is a laptop replacement.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
If an updated device came out it wouldn't stop me using my N900, not at all. The only concern I'd have is if a device using an updated Maemo version was released it would end up shifting development of applications and the like from Freemantle.
Community support will alleviate your concerns.

And, no, the N900 will not have a short lifespan. You can safely ignore such comments.

Posts: 415 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ A place with no mountains
Originally Posted by Tintin View Post
Reading your post, and if I were you, I would get the Droid and maybe pick up a small tablet running Linux..
For a guy that likes playing around with Linux, do you actually think the OP would be happy with a device that doesn't provide root access? Currently there is no root access on the Droid. It seems a bit like the iPhone situation -- if it ever comes, it might be a cat and mouse game. That would be a pain...

Useful links for newcomers: New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 Intro, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Choosing open source is an important purchasing decision for your future. The closed source model of computing is a form of exploitation -- of us! Open source empowers us. Be smart -- chose open source.

That's one concern I have about the Droid too, lack of root access.

That being said I fully intend to use the terminal in the N900, that's one of the big draws for it. If it wasn't for something like ConnectBot giving Android a decent SSH client I wouldn't even consider it.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I certainly will not suggest one device over another because I don't have enough personal experience with alternatives... but it sounds like you are answering your own question.