I just dropped my N900. Actually I dropped it several times before badly recently but this time, screen gone black. It dropped onto my PC keyboard from 40 cm height. I've a thick screen protector, so there is no visible sctrach/crack on the screen

When I turn on the device, I can hear the boot-up welcome sound. Keyboard lights turn on. Status LED on the front panel also works. But screen is black. Backlight is also turned off permanently.

When I connect it to USB, I can hear the connection sound on both N900 and PC. But I can not click on the PC Suite mode or mass storage mode, because the display and touchpad seems not working.

How can I put the device into PC Suite mode without touchscreen?

I dissassembled the sliding display part and reconnected the flex ribbon cable to main part ( the bottom half of the screen with battery and keyboard) but problem persists. Any other ideas worth to try?

Thanks

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
You can't put it into PC Suite mode without the screen working AFAIK.

What you can do is use the Meego intrd from a Linux computer (you can use a live CD or USB if you don't have an install availiable) as described here, which will allow you to put it into USB storage mode, in this mode you can copy all the data off, including the contacts, although the contacts are stored in a sqlite database which unless you are planning to transfer to another N900 isn't quite straighfoward to move to another phone though it should be possible to convert it to vCard format which is somewhat compatible with other phones.

May be I can ask to a friend to use his N900's screen to save the data.

I found there are replacement LCDs for N900 on Ebay around USD30-40. Do you think is it worth to try to replace the screen? How can I be sure about the problem is the LCD itself?

PS. I can't feel the short vibration on power-on button pressed anymore.

By the way, I tried to click on mass storage mode etc as a blind mice but seems touch screen is not responding either. I checked the flat ribbon cable between bottom half and screen part. It looks ok.

Any opinions?

Did you try the TV output option?

no but how could it help?

no, rootsh is not installed and phone will not connect to a wifi automatically. Wifi is disabled thru Advanced Interface Switcher actually to save the power.

I tried keys to skip to Mass Storage mode or PC Connectivity Suite mode but no luck.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
All you have to do is plug the device into the tv and you will see the bootup sequence on the tv screen, from there open the keyboard and you will have access to everything.

I'll try TV option tonight. Thanks

Unfortunately TV output is not working.

When I turn on the phone, TV detects signal is coming but screen is black. When the phone turns off the display (power saving) TV says no signal.

So seems the phone can't generate images both for TV and LCD.

How could I fix this? Apperently if I replace the LCD, it is most probably the phone won't be fixed...

Any ideas?