The N800 has a great-looking screen for video playback, but every video I've tried has a stuttering problem--regular blips in sound and/or video, one minute apart, all the way through.

I'm watching mp4s @512kps, aac@96, NTSC film framerate, created using Handbrake. I've tried Media Converter, but get nothing but static for sound. Mplayer will play the Handbrake video but not the audio. Files in .avi format from Handbrake get a "not compatible" error.

Does anyone else have these problems? Do your videos play successfully all the way through?

I have ran XviD's as high as 1200kbps that were recorded from DVD's with FairUseWizard. The soundtrack was recorded in MP3. I do this because my main PMD is an Archos and Archos requires a $20 plug-in otherwise. Perhaps MPlayer also has the same sound limitation.

These videos play great in MPlayer with no skipping or stuttering and the sound stays synched to the video. They are too much for the built mediaplayer.

The Mplayer limitation is somewhere between 1200kbps and 1500kbps. A file I recorded at 704x368, 1504kbps stuttered and froze. One at 688x288, 1240kbps played fine.

I don't think that mp4 works very well with the n800. Every single mp4 I have thrown at it has the same problem as you describe. You can convert the mp4 with N800 video decoder (search the forums), but you will loose some quality.

Like the previous response suggested I use fairuse wizard which produces video which works well with MPlayer.

Here's a pretty good discussion on the subject:

http://www.gossamer-threads.com/list...7249?page=last