Posts: 388 | Thanked: 1,340 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
Kidding aside, can anyone tell me whether searching in Mail app works well? Also, can I edit quotes when replying? How about copying texts in a mail?
Couldn't find search feature.

Editing quotes when replying works: tap where you want to edit and start writting or deleting text.

I could copy mail text from reply mode but I couldn't figure out how to do it in the mail view mode.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to att For This Useful Post:
Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
Originally Posted by ZuLuuuuuu View Post
I also wonder how Facebook and GTalk messaging works. I am currently using Windows Phone and Facebook messaging is horrible (notifications are very problematic) and GTalk is not integrated. I miss N9's messaging capabilities. Is there instant notifications when a Facebook or GTalk message is sent to me?
i could not test it myself, but since FB and GTalk are both using Jabber / XMPP, they should work with telepathy, just like on the N9.

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
User experience seems to be connected if you are a jolla fan or not. Drop a jolla phone in a real usability test and I fear that usability result will be very bad. Might be wrong but that is what I read from this thread.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 594 | Thanked: 1,094 times | Joined on Aug 2012 @ Rhine
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
User experience seems to be connected if you are a jolla fan or not. Drop a jolla phone in a real usability test and I fear that usability result will be very bad. Might be wrong but that is what I read from this thread.
well, i'm pretty sure, you can say the same about Android, iOS and WP...

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Leinad For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by att View Post
Couldn't find search feature.

Editing quotes when replying works: tap where you want to edit and start writting or deleting text.

I could copy mail text from reply mode but I couldn't figure out how to do it in the mail view mode.
No search!

At least the rest are better than N9...

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Leinad View Post
well, i'm pretty sure, you can say the same about Android, iOS and WP...
Yes, in their early stages.bu peobobly not now. What i mean real tests.not on fans.

So far only supporters bought it for what ever reason. I hope that next device can be a bit more for end users.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2013-12-04 at 07:30.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,195 | Thanked: 2,708 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Hanoi
I am an end user and when I get the Jolla I am going to write my usability impressions down like I have done with the N9.

The N9 (only and final consumer HW to run Harmattan) had an uncorrectable hardware design error though: the Pentile display that proved to be incompatible with my eyes and usage pattern. Hardly usable for reading small text.

As far as I can tell at present now there will be no such thing with the Jolla,
For certain I will discover the Jolla to have untolerable and incomprehensible shortcomings, but all fixable in software.

So let's lighten up and follow the real story: how Sailfish matures through updates during first half of 2014?

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
They switched to iOS and Android from what existed prior - mostly Symbian, BlackBerry and Windows Mobile.
Now slow down and think. What do all those OSes have in common? They all come from Big Companies™. RIM can be considered the odd one out and it is - it has always been a niche OS.

You can expect reviewers to switch to a brand new OS, as long as it comes from some big company they know. You can't expect the reviewers to help Jolla to make it. Jolla has to make it on its own and become big. Then and only then will the press start paying attention.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
What i mean real tests.not on fans.
There is no such thing as an objective usability test. Howgh!

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Not following your logic here. Apple and Google both didn't have a mobile OS before 2006. Google bought theirs, Apple made theirs. And they both started from "ground zero" in terms of acceptance. There were no guarantees.

In fact, the two players that had long-term OS's - Windows and Palm were both outclassed by the upstarts. Both had some serious usability issues that were later overcome via the simplification of iOS and Android. Windows survived (much to my dismay) and Palm morphed into WebOS which was doomed due to Leo Apotheker's bad decisions.

People switched because the older way phones were done - notice I'm ignoring Nokia - it wasn't how folks wanted them. 7 years into this cycle of iOS/Android, it's time for something new. For something new from the next soon-to-be-big company. Let it be Jolla.

Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
Now slow down and think. What do all those OSes have in common? They all come from Big Companies™. RIM can be considered the odd one out and it is - it has always been a niche OS.
RIM had a bigger share than you give them credit.

You can expect reviewers to switch to a brand new OS, as long as it comes from some big company they know. You can't expect the reviewers to help Jolla to make it.
Actually, I can expect reviewers and folks to switch. Face it, we're here huddled around all things Maemo and MeeGo for rather same reasons - the status quo plain sucks. The in-fighting and bickering that folks tend to do once there's an ounce of Linux involved is just a rather crappy inherited part of that. I hate hearing folks argue over which shell/editor/kernel/license/neckbeard quote of the month is about in all things Linux. It's offensive to the general population because they're clueless in those areas.

People switch all the time. Otherwise, we'd all be using Windows Mobile still (which also commanded a major percentage of prior generation smartphones).

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience