Notices

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 535 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Karlsruhe, Germany
A new version 0.90+svn1209861 is in extras-testing. Changes since the last one:
  • Fix a crash on startup when restoring a route and GPS is enabled at startup
  • The OSM map theme with Mercator projection is now the default for new installations
  • Use miles instead of km in driving instructions and the map scale if the system is configured to use imperial units. Routing dialog tbd.
  • Fix a crash when using the "Plain Map" theme
  • When GPS is active and the user activates the screen saver, do not wake up the screen every thirty seconds

@Shinigamijim: Make sure to activate guidance mode as describing here. Note that you need a GPS fix. If you get "info" icons instead of arrows indicating the turn type, then the route comes from OpenRouteService. Disable it in the configuration to make sure only Monav is used.

@itaychi: You can set the map region (visible part of the map on the screen) to Israel and then use the "Download Region" dialog to download tiles from the visible area in different tile levels. That may not be ideal, but works well in practice. You can repeat that approach several times with different regions and/or tile levels.

@abill_uk: Marble is free and it will stay like this. Here's a short excerpt from Marble's (preliminary) OSGeo incubation application:

12. Does the project support open standards? Which ones and to what extent? (OGC, w3c, ect.) Has the software been certified to any standard (CITE for example)? If not, is it the intention of the project owners to seek certification at some point?

Supporting and promoting the idea of Free Software, Free Maps and Open Standards is Marble's primary mission.
We support open standards such as the OGC KML standard, GPX, OSM and the usual ones that are common among Free Software developers.
Marble's internal data structures are modelled after KML. Internally all data is passed as a KML document.

13. Is the code free of patents, trademarks, and do you control the copyright?

Marble itself is free of patents and trademarks. The only related trademark is KDE which is held by the KDE e.V..
Marble's copyright is held by its authors and the code is released under the LGPL 2+.

Last edited by earthwings; 2010-12-29 at 17:04. Reason: add a note that the osgeo application is preliminary

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Nuremberg
Yes, our Marble project is fully based on Free Software (LGPL) and we also take care that the data and the open standards we use is created in that spirit. We are also very picky about licensing, so we check the Terms of Use of the data we use very thoroughly. That's also the reason why we don't display Google Maps/Google Earth or Ovi Maps data. Marble is technically capable of displaying both but the Terms of Use (and our distribution policies) don't allow for usage inside Marble, so we don't ship with these maps (no problem, since OpenStreetMap is great!).

While we promote Free Maps and Free Software our licensing model (LGPL) intentionally allows for usage of Marble's framework in proprietary applications. And it allows for usage of "closed maps".

But our heart is with Free Software and Free Maps - and with Marble being a community project! So if you consider getting involved then join us!

http://edu.kde.org/marble/getinvolved.php

If you're a Facebook user don't hesitate to join our Facebook group which has all the latest bleeding edge news about Marble!

http://www.facebook.com/marbleglobe

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to tackat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Have just tried with USB Networking - crash, crash, crash.
Updating settings...
Unsupported DBUS type: 0
Segmentation fault

Have had enough seconds to see OpenStreetMap tiles, though.

Thank you!

Last edited by Wikiwide; 2012-09-30 at 13:23.

Posts: 6 | Thanked: 4 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Franken
This is more of a minor issue. I'm using a mixed locale on my N900:
Code:
LANG=en_US
LC_CTYPE="en_US"
LC_NUMERIC=de_DE
LC_TIME=en_US
LC_COLLATE="en_US"
LC_MONETARY=de_DE
LC_MESSAGES=en_US
LC_PAPER=de_DE
LC_NAME=de_DE
LC_ADDRESS=de_DE
LC_TELEPHONE=de_DE
LC_MEASUREMENT=de_DE
LC_IDENTIFICATION=de_DE
LC_ALL=
With these settings I would expect Marble to start with an English UI, however i get the German translation. I have Marble installed from extras-devel.
EDIT: Scratch that, seems to be a bug in Qt: http://bugreports.qt.nokia.com/browse/QTBUG-1313

Last edited by grinsekatze; 2011-01-04 at 15:53.

The Following User Says Thank You to grinsekatze For This Useful Post:
Could it be possible to get Marble use the same local stored maps as modRana and Mappero?

modRana's developer has created sqlite3 database and "standard" to store map tiles. Would be good if other map applications in N900 would also support this sqlite-database. Having lots of tiles as separate files will waste space and energy (in general and in so many ways).

From http://nlp.fi.muni.cz/trac/gps_navig...EN#Datastorage
NOTE: Because of the FAT32 file-system used in MyDocs, you should consider enabling sqlite tile storage (in options->map->tile storage). FAT32 uses very large per-file clusters, which together with map data that consists of thousands of individual tiles causes huge waste of space. Sqlite can store thousands of tiles in a single file and thus avoids this issue.

Last edited by zimon; 2011-01-04 at 17:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to zimon For This Useful Post:
Got the update last night. Notice a slight performance increase, but still some issues with scrolling in the menus.
I take it this update doesn't include OpenGL as yet?

And when can we have a Mars map?

P.S Or will we be able to add our own maps in future?

The Following User Says Thank You to stickymick For This Useful Post:
extras-testing now has 1.0 RC2 with the following changes:

- Add the Hike & Bike Map and the Osmarender map themes to the marble-maps package.
- Fix an upgrade problem in the marble-maps package (package manager reported a conflict).
- Disable the Guidance Mode button (left most of the four large buttons on the bottom) when no route has been calculated.
- Don't show the position indicator anymore when GPS gets disabled.
- Improve the look of the Map View Dialog and make it more responsive.
- Update translations
- More optimizations that double the rendering speed for maps scrolling (compared to Release Candidate 1).
- Fix a crash when using the Plain Map theme.

Thanks to all the Marble developers involved.

@Wikiwide: It's a Qt bug, I'm afraid, nothing I can do except than waiting for a fix in Qt.

@zimon: Yes, I plan to add that. At least the "standard" way with png tiles in directories. Not sure about sqlite.

@stickymick: The new version (1.0 RC2) has some speed improvements for scrolling maps, the map views dialog is faster as well.

Actually we do have a map wizard now (trunk) in the Desktop version of Marble that let's you create your own maps :-)

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to earthwings For This Useful Post:
You can add custom maps, but it's not as easy as I'd like. I'm currently using google maps tiles as the OSM tiles have several roads incorrectly named near me. I could register and change them at some stage.

There is a gitorious project called marble-restricted-maps or something. Downloaded archive from there, copied files into a local settings folder (can't find in latest version) and it appeared in map options but didn't work. Put it in /opt/marble/share/marble/data/maps/earth/. You need to make sure folder name matches theme name.

Two things I'd like to see:
1. Guideance to say turn left or right. Need to check but at the moment I've only had "drive right on xxx"
2. Changelog on repository/garage site

Originally Posted by Android_808 View Post
You can add custom maps, but it's not as easy as I'd like. I'm currently using google maps tiles as the OSM tiles have several roads incorrectly named near me. I could register and change them at some stage.

There is a gitorious project called marble-restricted-maps or something. Downloaded archive from there, copied files into a local settings folder (can't find in latest version) and it appeared in map options but didn't work. Put it in /opt/marble/share/marble/data/maps/earth/. You need to make sure folder name matches theme name.
It also works in the home folder. You need to put it in /home/user/MyDocs/.local/share/marble/maps/earth/googlesat (or googlemaps or whatever other map theme you like).

Two things I'd like to see:
1. Guideance to say turn left or right. Need to check but at the moment I've only had "drive right on xxx"
Yes, voice output is on the TODO list with rather high priority ;-)

2. Changelog on repository/garage site
That's available at http://marble.garage.maemo.org/testing/ at the end of the site.

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
overflowing with joy and thankfulness.

thank you very much.

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Tags
marble, nokia n900