Active Topics

Hey y'all!

I've put together two sets of matching background and bootup images to better reflect the device than the Nokia logos and trademarks.

The first one is Linux inside - and it needs no explanation. It's using two rather cute images from the web. The bigger of these comes in two formats: background (for setting as personalized background), and regular (to be used to replace the Nokia Hands image). The smaller Linux inside image replaces the small NOKIA logo shown at startup.

The other theme is Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Since we all know that an Internet Tablet IS a Hitchhiker's guide to the galaxy). This one was largely made by me (with some graphics from the official HHGTTG site). They look ok, but if someone wants to make nicer ones - please do. My artistic skills are low.

The images we will be replacing are: The NOKIA logo that shows while the device is loading. It is located in:
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/hildon/qgn_indi_startup_nokia_logo.png , and the Connecting Hands image that shows when the device is almost finished booting, which is: /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/hildon/qgn_indi_nokia_hands.png.
There is also a specially cut background version of the linux-inside picture, which goes particularly well with Theme Nr. 1.
You can of course use the HHGTTG loading image as a background too, it will resize great automatically!

Now - how to set this up?
  • First - make sure you have rd mode enabled. It's needed to get root access.
  • Open up an X terminal (you have installed that package, haven't ya?)
  • To become root, type in this command: sudo gainroot
  • Backup the original images by doing:
    cp /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/hildon/qgn_indi_startup_nokia_logo.png /media/mmc1/
    And:
    cp /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/hildon/qgn_indi_nokia_hands.png /media/mmc1/
  • download the images attached to this thread to your memory card
  • For the small image, do:
  • cp /media/mmc1/SMALL_IMAGE_NAME_HERE /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/hildon/qgn_indi_startup_nokia_logo.png
  • cp /media/mmc1/LOADING_IMAGE_NAME_HERE /usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/hildon/qgn_indi_nokia_hands.png
  • Don't worry about some images being in jpg format and not png. The N770 will read them just fine!
  • To set the background, you need to copy the image from the Memory Card to your N770 by doing a Copy->Paste in your File browser. Then you just set it as a background by clicking on the home menu item.
  • You're all set!

Good luck, and post whatever artwork you create!
Ziggamon
Attached Images

HA! Hilarious stuff.

-- live @ NYPL via free 770

And of course, five minutes later, here is the update to the linuxinside_small.png image, it looked kind of funny with all those development images next to is, so I made it a bit larger to cover them.

Use the newest one.
Attached Images

Great hack. I'm not particular to any of these images myself but the first thing I thought when I first booted my 770 "hmm I wonder how I can replace that Nokia boot logo."

In this vein, I suggest other members submit properly formated (800x400) boot logos.

/me begins waiting

Hmmm. I like a lot.
I will have to watch this thread, after I change my images.. hehehe.
Thank you.

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ central georgia, usa
Ya

ziggamon: if you could put some comments in your message, it would also help people learn linux.

AND thanks for the effort. (Sorry to tur* before the praise.)

putkowski: what do you mean some comments?

I thought I explained things pretty well. If something is unclear, I'll be glad to help. And I'm sure there's plenty of others here that can help out too!

Robette: Yeah, I'm not an artist, and I don't claim to be, as I wrote. So please - if somebodyu has an artistic vein: submit some cute artwork!

I installed the hhgttg theme. Thx!

I find, that an special area for wallpapers and images should be arranged. Maybe somewhere at the Screenshotsarea.
I contribute two Osx Backgrounds.
In my opinion the best at Mac .
Attached Images