Posts: 631 | Thanked: 1,123 times | Joined on Sep 2005 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
What I mean by "missing the boat" is underestimating the Flash potential, and neglecting to bundle several Flash games with the tablets.
Well, I'm not too worried about that even. They wouldn't be the best games out there, and they would be pretty much outdated on release. I really like games on sites like this: http://www.goodexperience.com/games/ A game shipped _on the device_ would probably also mean a non-internet connected game, and that's rather oldskool imho. After all, if it is connected, why not just then download it.

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
Well, I'm not too worried about that even. They wouldn't be the best games out there, and they would be pretty much outdated on release. I really like games on sites like this: http://www.goodexperience.com/games/ A game shipped _on the device_ would probably also mean a non-internet connected game, and that's rather oldskool imho. After all, if it is connected, why not just then download it.
Sorry, that thinking is too narrow to me. Many of these games NEVER fall out of fashion. I see people get highly addicted to them. In that vein are standards like Yahtzee, Sudoku, etc. I even include Dicewars in that category, as well as some gambling games. Also, some Flash games do support internet-based multiplay.

And that's exactly what I'm talking about: bundle some free timeless Flash games on the tablets because people do like the diversion. We could even research the field and focus on the most popular ones that also fit the tablet form factor well. IMO, Flash is there, and we should take full advantage of it.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
I have hundreds of flash games on my N800. They are an addictive and fun diversion.
The smaller the size the faster they run. When N900 comes out the larger ones will run nice.

Shipping with flash games reminds users that there are flash games, and that their tablet can run them. It also permits a bus-stop gaming scene in the N9xx space-wasting advertising-to-people-who-already-bought-it video (or in other promotional material).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Benson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by ragnar View Post
A game shipped _on the device_ would probably also mean a non-internet connected game, and that's rather oldskool imho. After all, if it is connected, why not just then download it.
Just a reminder, not everyone that uses a NIT has an always-on connection for it - there's been plenty of discussion of the lack of reasonably-priced data plans outside of Europe and yet there are still plenty of NIT users outside of Europe. Basically, it's not necessarily connected ...

Originally Posted by Mysticode View Post
Just a reminder, not everyone that uses a NIT has an always-on connection for it - there's been plenty of discussion of the lack of reasonably-priced data plans outside of Europe and yet there are still plenty of NIT users outside of Europe. Basically, it's not necessarily connected ...
In some places, maybe (sucks to be in Canada, I hear!), but in the US, shopping around seems to yield data plans on par with European ones...

Anyway, the plan is that Maemo 5 apps are supposed to be able to assume ubiquitous access. Users who don't have a reasonably ubiquitous internet capability, whether cellular, WiFi, or whatever, are going to be something of second-class citizens. Or at least that's what I understand from reports of Summit attendees.

Originally Posted by fanoush View Post
Once you find out you'll be really worried about future of buttons on our tablets :-)
I'm a bit worried now, because thinking back ragnar and myself seems to have been having diametrically opposing opinions about hardware as well as software and UI, from at least since just before the N810 came out. Oh well, I can only hope for the best.

Fortunately I managed to order the Pandora though!

/nick TwoFullSizeSDslotsPlease

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Oh good God! I would be afraid of damaging the screen. I would fully expect something in that particular form factor to be a whole lot more fragile than normal.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
Fortunately I managed to order the Pandora though!
I hate you.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I respect ragnar and his experience, but I hope his opinion is not indicative of groupthink in that organization. The company in general already has a repuation (in the US at least) of not listening to customers, and thinking Our Way is The Way.

The Following User Says Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post: