Notices

Posts: 299 | Thanked: 241 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Singapore
A bit off topic. Is there anything available to play Contract Bridge, the card game? As a beginner, some kind of learning mode would be appreciated.
MobiTifo (which was formerly known as QSportsEvent) - Sports leagues tracking (mainly football).

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by magnuslu View Post
A bit off topic. Is there anything available to play Contract Bridge, the card game? As a beginner, some kind of learning mode would be appreciated.
Probably in Palm apps, certainly not as a maemo program.

Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
There's a chess game called Miniature in the repos. It's by far more advanced than the preinstalled one in terms of features, if I recall correctly. Not sure how much you can do of the training hints as you're looking for, though. Actually, I'm not sure if it's made it out of devel yet, but of the top of my head I'm pretty sure I remember seeing more than one chess game in the repos, with testing and devel enabled... *Shrug*

I don't know how good it is but you could try this http://www.astraware.com/webos/board...link=108/rel/3

It's a set of games (including chess) for WebOS, it might work with Pre-Env on the N900

Posts: 5,795 | Thanked: 3,151 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Agoura Hills Calif
Originally Posted by Mentalist Traceur View Post
There's a chess game called Miniature in the repos. It's by far more advanced than the preinstalled one in terms of features, if I recall correctly. Not sure how much you can do of the training hints as you're looking for, though. Actually, I'm not sure if it's made it out of devel yet, but of the top of my head I'm pretty sure I remember seeing more than one chess game in the repos, with testing and devel enabled... *Shrug*
Miniature, which was heavily promoted by Qgil for some time, never made it out of Extras-devel and development seems to me to be inactive. It does not appear to have a computer play mode at all -- it only allows one player to play another. It is very pretty and seems to me to have very few useful features, certainly not a training mode.

As for other actual chess games in any meaningful sense, I didn't find any in my check of five minutes ago. There is a chess clock. There is something called shakki which doesn't appear to be in usable shape. There's a game described as something like "turn over all the chess pieces and win the game", which doesn't sound like chess to me.

That's it. If anyone can find other chess games in the repositories, I'd be interested to know.

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
Mr Accountant, please let us know if you succeed.
In the meantime, about a year ago I started a thread with some chess flash games but there was not much interest, I had almost forgotten about it but have updated it today with a new download link and a couple of new games.

Don't get too excited ;-) it's not an ideal solution but they all work well for me to quench my chess thirst.

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...717#post578717

Edit... Incidentally, the chess game I use most now though is Chessmaster on the SNES emulator...looks and plays well in 2D mode.

Last edited by Dancairo; 2011-02-15 at 09:50.

Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
Originally Posted by geneven View Post
I recently installed Hiarcs in the Garnet VM and it's pretty good -- its claim to fame is that it has a very natural style, not so computerlike. It cost about $40. I don't think it has a 'trainer' though.

I think a program like Chessmaster has a version for the Palm. It might be your best bet for a trainer. I'll look for more details and post here.

An excellent program called Scid probably has a trainer. You'd probabably have to install it via Easy Debian.
Thanks Geneven, I didn't know about that Hiarcs - just installed it and trying it out..Seems pretty good so far