Posts: 2,050 | Thanked: 1,425 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Bucharest
Originally Posted by troff76 View Post
It's like telling people who want to buy a new phone "sorry, don't buy N900. go get yourself an iphone or an HTC coz our next good device will become available in 6 months...!" WTF! This piece of news is going to affect nokia sales big time.
Sooo... like... you didn't know there was going to be a new and improved device 6 months later?

Keep the forums clean: use "Thanks" button instead of the thank you post.

Well, I like Maemo 5, and as long as MeeGo apps come to the N900, I'm happy. Just stop worrying

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to m165 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 56 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
Originally Posted by ndi View Post
Sooo... like... you didn't know there was going to be a new and improved device 6 months later?
It's not going to be just a new device. It's a brand new OS while dumping another brand new OS.

Posts: 551 | Thanked: 507 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ North West England
[Harry Hill]

Hmmm, I like Maemo, but I also like Meego... but which is better?
Only one way to found out - FIGHT!

[/Harry Hill]

Apologies to non-UK people who won't have a clue what I am going on about here

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to JohnLF For This Useful Post:
Posts: 54 | Thanked: 40 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Wrocław / Poland
Not upgradeable? Dose it mean I'll need to flash my N900 instead of using OTA upgrade? :P

FUD, until more clarifying official statements come out...

- could mean that the upgrade is not available OTA, only reflashing
- could mean they'll deliver "Harmattan" (or whatever) soon for N900, not calling it "MeeGo", so, officially it's not MeeGo; when the "real" MeeGo comes out at the end of the year, the N900 could be not officially supported

anyway, applications should be pretty much compatible between all these versions, or with light modifications, so I don't see the issue... after all who bought the N900 knew what they were going to buy at that moment...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to thecursedfly For This Useful Post:
Posts: 139 | Thanked: 135 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cambridgeshire, UK
Originally Posted by JohnLF View Post
[Harry Hill]

Hmmm, I like Maemo, but I also like Meego... but which is better?
Only one way to found out - FIGHT!

[/Harry Hill]

Apologies to non-UK people who won't have a clue what I am going on about here
hehe...

The issue here is that Maemo 5 was billed as an open OS (which it is on the whole) and Nokia's next big direction with their devices. This implied certain things, including that as this platform was actually properly updateable and wasn't locked into things like Symbian "Feature Packs", it would evolve along with the Maemo 5 product range.

Now there is no Maemo 5 product range and even though capable, seems like the N900 is not going to be officially supported with MeeGo which is effectively what has stunted Maemo 5.

The comparison should be with something like the iPhone, which has received the major OS updates - which is the right way to treat customers. Or, conversely WinMo devices which don't. Again though, if you must compare this situation to desktop OS releases - with those at least you get significant warning and the ability to pay for an upgrade (even free on many recently released devices which come just before new OS releases). Nokia are not offering anything of the sort and much asx I love the N900, had I known a new device and platform was coming so soon I'd just have waited for it - but they don't communicate these things with customers, hence such high levels of frustration on the various Nokia related forums.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to stopgap For This Useful Post:
Posts: 311 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ London
Mh if this proves to be true it certainly will be the last time I'll ever buy a Nokia device again. As for now I remain positive in the hope that Nokia will do something unexpected.

Last edited by Haus3r; 2010-03-15 at 12:25.

Originally Posted by troff76 View Post
Seriously now. The N900 is the Top of the range device for Nokia and they should be promoting more than any device (along with the N97mini if they are planning on keeping Symbian).

By announcing something like this, they are putting people off from buying it. It's like telling people who want to buy a new phone "sorry, don't buy N900. go get yourself an iphone or an HTC coz our next good device will become available in 6 months...!" WTF! This piece of news is going to affect nokia sales big time.
I'm not sure if you have been following N900 before the release. It has been talked many times here before. N97 is still Nokias number one and the one that's selling in millions while being more expensive than N900.

In Nokia World 2009 they downplayed N900 that was talked here quite alot. N900 became so popular because of blogs and what not heavily advertising it.
Nokia's second largest factory is in Finland, Salo and it only makes high end phones and all previous flagships have always been made there(N97 is made there too). N900 East Korea factory hasn't been able to keep up with the demand... because Nokia didn't expect and maybe not event wanted N900 yet to be huge seller.
There's 10 N97 ads more for every N900 and i don't think that's just a coincidence. I don't know how many of the new members here have heard N900 being 4th step in 5 step plan, but that was the main thing Nokia let out in the 2009 about the N900.

I buy 1-2 phones every year so it's no wonder i don't really care all about this, but just led all that out.

Last edited by tissot; 2010-03-16 at 09:42.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Posts: 579 | Thanked: 286 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Australia
the issue here is. Nokia knew a lot of people were paranoid and worried about it, but cnet got the info first???? o well what do you do. Nokia lol

o the iphone 2g, 3g, 3gs ipad are getting 4.0 firmware soon

Tags
fud, troll!, troll76