Active Topics

Sailfish OS for the Samsung Galaxy Note 4 (SM-N910C) - (treltexx)

Code:
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
!!            Everything you do,               !!
!!      you do at your own peril and risk.     !!
!!                                             !!
!!      I do not bear any responsibility       !!
!!          for your faulty devices.           !!
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
First I would like to thank NoKit, monich, elros34 and all the Sailfish OS porter guys who helped me to make this port.
Thank you very much guys!

News 31/08/2023: OTA to SFOS 4.5.0.21

26/03/2023: OTA to SFOS 4.5.0.19
08/03/2023: OTA to SFOS 4.5.0.18
26/10/2022: OTA to SFOS 4.4.0.72
14/07/2022: OTA to SFOS 4.4.0.68
08/06/2022: OTA to SFOS 4.4.0.64
30/05/2022: OTA to SFOS 4.4.0.58
22/02/2022: OTA to SFOS 4.2.0.21
16/10/2021: Waydroid on Galaxy Note4 (SFOS 4.1.0.24)
03/09/2021: OTA to SFOS 4.1.0.24
23/03/2021: OTA to SFOS 4.0.1.48

Requirements:
Before you start to download anything, please read all this through carefully.
The first requirement is your device must be rooted and you should be able to install a custom recovery (preferably TWRP) onto it.

Installation instructions:
1. Download all files, LOS14.1 zip, Sailfish OS zip and twrp2.8.7.img to the external SD card on the phone
2. Reboot into TWRP (Hold buttons: Power on + Home + Volume up)
At this point you should install TWRP 2.8.7 as the installation work the best with this recovery.
Once you flashed TWRP 2.8.7, please reboot into recovery and continue the process.

3. Do a factory reset
4. Format data to remove any encryption or other residues
5. Still in recovery, flash the LOS14.1 image
6. Still in recovery, flash Sailfish Os image
7. Reboot
8. Enjoy the latest (3.3.0.16) Sailfish OS on your Note 4 (treltexx).
You will need patience as the first boot will take for a while. Then you can go through the initial Sailfish OS set up.

This Sailfish OS Android HAL is based on LOS 14.1.

Downloads:

Problems/Solutions:
  1. Problem: LXC container doesn't start.
    Solution: In TWRP install the kernel for lxc support. (This will be included into a later build.)
  2. Problem: Incoming calls are not displaying the number only the 'Private call' text.
    Solution: Install the fix for 'Private number' calls rpm. (This will be included into a later build.)

Some useful patches:
Apps from Openrepos
Apart from the Jolla store there are plenty of other, community made apps in Openrepos. There is a user-friendly app to install/remove apps from this source called Storeman. It can be downloaded and install from this location: Storeman

Debug/login/troubleshooting:
In Ubuntu, connect USB cable. telnet 192.168.2.15 2323 or SSH nemo@192.168.2.15.

Notes:
  • On Sailfish OS, as it is a Linux system, you cannot install/run any android apps.

How to make a backup/restore with TWRP:
You can boot into TWRP with the usual button combination (Hold buttons: Power on + Home + Volume up) and can make backup/restore.

Battery life
In my experience this build gives a very good battery life (I've tested with a new battery and it drops beteen 5% - 10% overnight with wifi on)

Changelog:

=========
  • Custom (Sailfish OS) boot logo

=========
  • Sound fix is included, it works out of the box
  • GPS fixed!
  • S-Pen works as a mouse! To make the cursor visible (thanks for elros34!) you need to install:
    1. Patchmanager 3 from openrepos
    2. mousetracker
    3. amend '/var/lib/environment/compositor/droid-hal-device.conf' file, add the -plugin evdevmouse:abs:/dev/input/event3 to the end of LIPSTICK_OPTIONS. (That line should look like this:
      Code:
      LIPSTICK_OPTIONS=-plugin evdevtouch -plugin evdevkeyboard:keymap=/usr/share/qt5/keymaps/droid.qmap -plugin evdevmouse:abs:/dev/input/event3
    4. as final step apply the moustracker patch in Settings/Patchmanager, then restart the services (pulley menu in Patchmanager) or reboot, then pull out the S-Pen and use it as a stylus/mouse.
      (Note: As patchmanager doesn't yet work when the default user is defaultuser, the instruction above works only on sfos 3.3.0.16 or the OTA updated 4.0.1.48. On fresh sfos 4.0.1.48 install you need to install the mousetracker and manually apply the patch from it.)

=========
Work:
  • Screen
  • Touch
  • IMEI number is detected
  • Sensors (Rotation, Acceleration, Gyroscope, Magnetometer, Light & Proximity)
  • GPS (The permanent solution will be included in a future build. Now, the workaround is (do it only once): as root delete the folder /data/system/gps and then reboot. GPS should start working)
  • Notification LEDs (white, green, blue, red)
  • Wifi
  • MTP
  • Bluetooth
  • Calls incoming/outgoing
  • Messages incoming/outgoing
  • Mobile data
  • External SD card detected and mounted to /run/media/nemo/_sdcard_name_ (where _sdcard_name_ is the name of the sd card when it was formatted like 4B93-785B)
  • Home button and the Back soft button
  • Vibra
  • Pixel ratio and icons set to 2.00
  • Audio is routed to headphone if that presents
  • Camera front/rear
  • Video recording (only on the rear camera)
  • Jolla store
  • findutils is installed by default (updatedb and locate commands work out of the box)
  • Torch
  • can boot into TWRP recovery with the usual button combination (hold buttons: Power on + Home + Volume up)
  • Low Power Mode (AKA "sneak peek" or "ambient display") works (install instruction is in this post)
  • Sound - Please download the 'Sound fix script for Note4 (treltexx)' and save it into /home/nemo/Download, then give it executable permission and run as root or do the following:
    1. Download the 'Sound fix script for Note4 (treltexx)' and save it into /home/nemo/Download
    2. goto Settings/Developer tools, enter a Password and save it
    3. start the Fingerterm app and within, issue the following commands
    4. devel-su (press enter, then enter the password you set)
    5. chmod +x /home/nemo/Download/soundfix-treltexx.sh
    6. /home/nemo/Download/./soundfix-treltexx.sh

Do not work:
  • USB mode selection from Settings (workaround: as root run 'systemctl restart usb-moded' command)
  • Video recording on the front camera
  • Video playback in Gallery app (You can use Kodi for playing videos)
  • Internal SD card is not mounted to /android
  • S-Pen WIP

Extra 1: Change boot logo, Download warning image, Charring image and Download image for Sailfish OS like.
Simply download the Note4-Boot-Logo-Updater_by_edp17.zip from the download section and flash it with TWRP.
Important!: Once the zip is flashed, boot into recovery again, then you can boot into Sailfish OS.

To revert these images back to original:
Download the original param.bin and flash it with heimdal:
Code:
heimdall flash --PARAM param.bin
Inspired by this post

Extra 2: Desktop Linux distro install/run on the Note 4!
1. First flash the kernel from the Downloads section (in a later build this will be included)
2. Then, install all the following packages:
3. Once the packages are installed, fire up the LXC and install a distro into it (e.g. Debian SID)
On the Note 4 the harbour-containers GUI doesn't work properly. Fortunately the desktop distro installation can be done from a command line. Here are the steps:
  • sudo lxc-create -t sfos-download -n mycontainer
    follow the instruction and set the distribution (e.g. debian) then the version (e.g. sid) then the architecture (armhf)
    example command: sudo lxc-create -t sfos-download -n mycontainer -- --arch armhf --dist debian --release sid
  • sudo lxc-start -n mycontainer
  • sudo lxc-attach -n mycontainer
  • then within the container:
  • /mnt/guest/setup_desktop.sh
  • /mnt/guest/setups/debian.sh

4. Once the Desktop distro is installed you can start:
I recommend to use one of these scripts as they save a little time. (Note: You need sudo installed and configured for these scripts!)
5. Enjoy.

6. More info about the Full linux distros on Sailfish OS.

Pictures:

Custom boot logo and other pictures:

Last edited by edp17; 2023-08-31 at 19:05. Reason: OTA 4.5.0.21

The Following 19 Users Say Thank You to edp17 For This Useful Post:
A new build is available. Sound and GPS are fixed. S-Pen works as a mouse/stylus. Instruction and links are updated in the main post.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edp17 For This Useful Post:
Custom boot logo for Note 4. Instruction and images in the main post.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to edp17 For This Useful Post:
Wow, didn't expect to see this as a Sailfish option - is the port daily driver ready? The only thing not mentioned is good battery management which is quite important...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to suicidal_orange For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by suicidal_orange View Post
Wow, didn't expect to see this as a Sailfish option - is the port daily driver ready? The only thing not mentioned is good battery management which is quite important...
Thanks. I have added my experience of battery life to the main post.
I think you can give a try to use as a daily driver. (Although there is no android apk support.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edp17 For This Useful Post:
I don't have a Note but my Xperia X rarely makes a sound when I get a call, if I'm lucky it will vibrate once and sometimes the screen remembers to light up - I can have it in my hand waiting for a call and still miss it which is not ideal. Sometimes the touch accuracy seems to be off too...

No interest in android apps so I will add the note 4 to the list of options. Finding a good unlocked one may be a bit of a challenge though.

The Following User Says Thank You to suicidal_orange For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by suicidal_orange View Post
I don't have a Note but my Xperia X rarely makes a sound when I get a call, if I'm lucky it will vibrate once and sometimes the screen remembers to light up - I can have it in my hand waiting for a call and still miss it which is not ideal. Sometimes the touch accuracy seems to be off too...

No interest in android apps so I will add the note 4 to the list of options. Finding a good unlocked one may be a bit of a challenge though.
I understand your situation and agree not easy to find exactly this model.
If you need this as yourmain phone I think the best to purchase a second hand Sony Xperia XA2. With that you'll have the luxury of having an officially supported phone where everything should work 100%. Then, you can purchase a backup phone for "playground".

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to edp17 For This Useful Post:
I got a problem reported. During incoming calls the number was not displayed but a 'Private number' text instead. Because of this, the receiver cannot call back the caller as there is no number.
To fix this I needed to amend ofono. The fix is available at the download section.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to edp17 For This Useful Post:
Awesome work! How is video recording quality with the back camera? Does it come close to the original android recordings? Actually I'm surprised to see that it was possible to port Sailfish to this device. And not only that, but it looks to be a very good port, only minor issues remained.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sailor For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post
Awesome work! How is video recording quality with the back camera? Does it come close to the original android recordings? Actually I'm surprised to see that it was possible to port Sailfish to this device. And not only that, but it looks to be a very good port, only minor issues remained.
I'll test the video and let you know.

The Following User Says Thank You to edp17 For This Useful Post:

Tags
note 4, samsung, sm-n910c, treltexx