• Make it boot
v1.0
  • Make it running

Some more will be added soon
Now anybody can monitor the progress

Information: I am using Ubuntu 11.04 x64, any suggestions will be appreciated

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 298 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Norway
Excuse me... But do you seriously intend to boot Symbian with Multiboot?
You do know what kind of OS you're dealing with, right?
It's not Linux. It's Symbian. There is no initrd, no modules, but there's a kernel image. That image is compatible with U-Boot, which we are fortunate to have.
Symbian is a one-of-a-kind OS. It's not based on anything else, and nothing is based off it. And in addition... I want to ask: do you have any experience or knowledge about Symbian whatsoever? I think you should read up on it before trying to port it, so that you can understand how it works. Otherwise it will be like arriving at mars for the first time.

I have belief in that U-Boot will work, as it does the exact correct thing for Symbian: use a kernel image, and then boot off a second partition on the card.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Nokia 5700 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,411 | Thanked: 1,330 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Tatooine
Please can't you stick just to one thread for your 'project'?

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to jedi For This Useful Post:
Posts: 968 | Thanked: 663 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Australia (Melbourne/vic) / Lebanon (Zgharta/north)
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
v0.0:v0.1
  • Copy it to N900, make multiboot entry
  • Make it boot
v1.0
  • Make it running

Some more will be added soon
Now anybody can monitor the progress

Information: I am using Ubuntu 11.04 x64, any suggestions will be appreciated
any screenshots mate ??????? i think this is very awesome, and even better why don't u get a digital camera and take a couple of pictures of the n900 running symbian^3 , or even better a youtube video good luck mate .....

The Following User Says Thank You to elie-7 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 96 | Thanked: 51 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ India
Originally Posted by jedi View Post
Please can't you stick just to one thread for your 'project'?
I totally agree with you.
Maybe its just me but I feel that the person neither knows anything about Maemo nor Symbian. Its obvious he is totally new to maemo and he himself has declared he has no prior experience with Symbian either.

For me it feels more like a publicity stunt to grab attention. Its like how we used to find joy in compiling small applications like a calculator in C++ back in school. He feels that just by compiling a publicly releaed source code, an OS is born and expects it to work on multiple platforms!
Here, the OP fails to understand that porting an application and porting an OS are two entirely different scenarios.
No offense meant! Its just my humble opinion.

Anyways as usual, I'd never discourage anyone with a good motive. He is doing or trying to do something which I cant do. So I'd always support and encourage in any ways possible.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to warhawk007 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
If you build it they will come

Sorry could't resist...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to casper27 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by warhawk007 View Post
Maybe its just me but I feel that the person neither knows anything about Maemo nor Symbian. Its obvious he is totally new to maemo and he himself has declared he has no prior experience with Symbian either.
I think you're giving the guy too much credit. ~3 weeks ago, there was this. Writing one bad* C++ program does not maketh an expert in porting OSes.

Yes, bad. libhal is meant to be used from within programs, not lshal with dubious tricks...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jstokes For This Useful Post:
Why are you so eager to shoot him down? Let him try and learn on the process, chances are he will discover cool things on the way.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mrojas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 723 | Thanked: 519 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ Kuching:Malaysia
hard to explain to someone who thinks he know everything about symbian even if he never use symbian at all...
as one of symbian modder i have a reason why i jump ship from symbian to maemo...the reason is simple...

maemo platform is far superior than other platform
in symbian forum you can call me a modder but here i just a student that learning from the very-very best teacher such as MAG,nicolai,Mentalist Treaceur,pali & many other in our beloved forum...as a student still i don't show off my symbian modding abilities to other cause modding a symbian is nothing comparing than the abilities to modded a maemo...

so why do you thinks you can port symbian to N900 knowing that you dont even have the knowledge to understand the system itself???
did you learn something that make you believe that you can port symbian to N900??

if you do then i will be amazed cause i have been a symbian modder for almost five years now but still i believe it is impossible to port it to our beloved N900...

Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
I'll be trying... it's programming after all....
Now I'm trying to figure out how to compile it
No screenshots, only first milestone done up to now

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:

Tags
yet another one