Hi,

I'd like to know if there is any significant change in the new eMMC firmware (RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin) to update the N900 to it. I've just updated my N900 basic firmware to PR1.2 via OTA (and it works perfectly), but I don't know if it is worth to fully reflash the device including the MMC. Does anybody know the changes present in the new eMMC image? Why Nokia has released an updated image of the eMMC?

Best regards,
Iker.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ikerrg For This Useful Post:
I'd like to know that too...

I have loaded the RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin file as a partition (removing the first few hexcodes of the file and then using WinHex) and I have found the following differences between the original FAT32 partition in N900 and the updated one:

.documents: Many differences in files (User guides) and a new document named "maemo_software_copyright.pdf"
.images: no changes
.sounds: no changes
.videos: only different Nokia_N900.mp4
Mac OS: no changes
.n900.ico different
autorun.inf different

This indicates that OTA update does not update the eMMC contents. On the other hand, I cannot load the ext3 partition or other partitions contained in RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin. I still need help for this.

Cheers.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ikerrg For This Useful Post:
Posts: 248 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Birmingham
Originally Posted by bousch View Post
I'd like to know that too...
So would I....

Posts: 739 | Thanked: 242 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Montreal
Originally Posted by ikerrg View Post
I have loaded the RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin file as a partition (removing the first few hexcodes of the file and then using WinHex) and I have found the following differences between the original FAT32 partition in N900 and the updated one:

.documents: Many differences in files (User guides) and a new document named "maemo_software_copyright.pdf"
.images: no changes
.sounds: no changes
.videos: only different Nokia_N900.mp4
Mac OS: no changes
.n900.ico different
autorun.inf different

This indicates that OTA update does not update the eMMC contents. On the other hand, I cannot load the ext3 partition or other partitions contained in RX-51_2009SE_10.2010.13-2.VANILLA_PR_EMMC_MR0_ARM.bin. I still need help for this.

Cheers.
So basically there is nothing necessary nor useful on that eMMC ...?
Is the Icon and video that much cuter?

But yeah, if anyone figure out how to extract the ext3 fs... that'd be nice!

Originally Posted by R-R View Post
Is the Icon and video that much cuter?

But yeah, if anyone figure out how to extract the ext3 fs... that'd be nice!
Almost similar video, only different music. I have not compared the updated userguide. Maybe there are more relevant changes in the 2Gb ext3 filesystem included in the updated file.

ok, it's actually very easy to extract:

flasher-3.5 -u -F vanilla.bin
you get an mmc file..
than:

mount -o loop mmc somefolder/

there you go

The Following User Says Thank You to R-R For This Useful Post:
The only thing that I have found I can't do is modify the menu, which I read somewhere, was to do with not having the latest eMMC, but thats no big deal??

Originally Posted by davedickson View Post
The only thing that I have found I can't do is modify the menu, which I read somewhere, was to do with not having the latest eMMC, but thats no big deal??
What do you mean by modify the menu?

What do you mean by modify the menu?
Well apparently with PR1.2 you can modify the menu, I guess move things around, create folders etc, I am not entirely sure what extent of changes you can make, because I can't do it......

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=53593 - Guy on here talking about modifing the menu (and someone suggesting that he can't because he hasn't got latest eMMC)....

so maybe it is worth full-flashing to get the most out of PR1.2???? but I'm guessing.....