While looking at documentation for the new sony e-reader I noticed some advice on creating pdfs with the best settings for viewing on that reader. That led me to experiment on settings suitable for Evince on my Nokia 800. What follows are settings I have found useful so far.

I am using Word and Adobe Acrobat on a WindowsXP system.

To convert a Word or text file:
Load it into Word.
Set the page size to 3.5" wide and 2.1" tall.
Set Margins all to zero except for left margin 0.03"
Layout - portrait
Font size 7 (I am using Calibri) and the fonts are embedded.

Then print to Adobe PDF
Settings, again page width 3.5 inches and height 2.1 inches
Print, ignore any warnings about printer margins.
If you are not using Acrobat but one of the free pdf printers I expect the settings are the same.

On the Nokia in Evince I view the pdf in presentation mode.
This gives a readable full screen view which can be navigated using the up/down keys.

To convert an existing pdf, I believe that you have to first convert it to an rtf and then do the above. I haven't tried that though.

The above are my first efforts and I'm sure they can be improved upon.
I look forward to any suggestions.

The Following User Says Thank You to mikeywilliams For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
If your version of Word is 2007, it will create a PDF from the print menu without resorting to Acrobat. I just placed a document on my N800 using tne USB cable. I just told Evince to fit to page width; the pages are legible regardless of font.

Thanks for the reminder. My Word did not have the print to pdf enabled but after downloading and installing it I see that it cuts down on the process. No need for the acrobat printer.

Fit to width in Evince does often give a readable display. But isn't really full screen and still has the vertical scroll bars. With the settings for page size I suggest, the presentation mode gives true full screen, no scroll bars and easy navigation using the up/down button.

Tags
evince, settings