Hey i was watchin a YouTube vid and saw a program called rDesktop that i believe is the same thing as VNC...Which is better

they are not the same, rDesktop is to use the "terminal services" remote desktop functionality of windows. so you can "see" windows systems only.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rdesktop

Vnc needs a "vncserver" installed on the remote system, and this is available for about any operating system you can imagine.

personally I prefere vnc to use remote control of windows systems.
much less hassle then that terminla services stuff

Last edited by polossatik; 2008-01-15 at 16:34.

Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
VNC lets you control what is exactly on the screen.

Terminal Services/Remote Desktop lets someone log into as a separate session, they won't see what someone who is logged into the computer is doing but they can browse the files and run programs etc on their session without affecting anybody else.

Terminal Services is on Win2k3 Server and allows more than 1 remotely connected person but the cut down remote desktop on XP Pro, only allows 1 remotely connected person.

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
here's an idea of the advantage of rdesktop.

http://www.russellbeattie.com/blog/r...ile-killer-app

personally, I'm a remote desktop guy. VNC has it's purpose, but it just seems slower and a little tedious at times. I'm only basing this on my PC experience, as my Nokia 800 isn't even here yet.

VNC is good at a lot of things, but managing Windows servers is not one of them. It's actually a key reason that I haven't upgraded from my 770. There just isn't anything on the N810/N800 that improves my rdesktop capabilities significantly over the 770 with a mini BT keyboard.

I would love, however, to see some scaled zooming support in the ITOS client, so that I can work at 1024x600 or so (maybe 1200x720?) without scrolling.

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ London, UK
I'd have to agree with newf here, I'm deffo an Rdesktop guy. It feels 'slicker' in that aside from the *missing* keyboard and mouse you feel like you've actually got a windows session running combine this with a bluetooth keyboard an you're away!

All I've got to do now is figure out how to access my pc remotely in a secure way.

Well, I use both to access Windows:
VNC is nice because things are not squished down onto native display resolution.
Rdesktop is nice because things are squished down onto native display resolution.
Depends what I'm doing.

Bigga, use ssh to tunnel traffic of whatever protocol.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
VNC is slow, but has direct control. You can see directly what the remote person is doing. Cross-platform. Tends to be slow even on LAN.

RDesktop is Windows only, faster, XP has only one connection license, can be extended to more with an ugly hack.

XDMCP is a X remote connection protocol, unixes only, faster than VNC, you can share remotely whole desktop or one application at a time. Demanding on the network connection, not very user-friendly to configure.

NX is NoMachine's XDMCP proxy and accelerator. Unixes only, free for two simultaneous connections (the open-source version has no restrictions). Fast and flexible - can share a desktop (even a local one like vnc), can share applications only, can make shadow sessions (simultaneous connections to one desktop), can be used behind firewall, can be even used as a proxy for a remote desktop behind firewall. Not very network heavy, user-friendly. My choice

Posts: 122 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ A quiet place.
NX is the bee's knees. Otherwise, rdesktop for me.