I was just wondering if anyone has noticed any changes in PR1.2 that they prefered the old way?

I only thought this because I've been trying to find the option to turn off "Call with Skype" for calls to phone numbers. It was there in 1.1(.1), but now seems to have disappeared, filling each contact with a field that I may only use once every 6 months.

So, first off: Has anyone figured this out?

Secondly... anything else that's disappeared, appeared that we don't like?

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
pretty sure theres a thread 4 this already

LOADS about 1.2

Couldn't find anything about the missing Skype option, and not much about stuff getting worse (except battery life - which seems the same to me)

And to add to this:

The new search function for Apps Manager. You can no longer search while it's loading repositories lists, you have to wait until you get the category icons, go to All, then search.

Posts: 2,829 | Thanked: 1,459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Finland
before jumping conclusion about what is bug and what is not i suggest little more delicate approaching. Just because it is not nice to make clown of yourself.

i have "skype call" option in all contacts with numbers. i would suggest following:
-look from skype settings that there is checkmark on "enable calling phones" you can find it from status menu.
-disable enable it and see what happens
-remove account completely and setup it again

after these i would come to this forum and ask carefully that has someone else found bug in skype.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to slender For This Useful Post:
Ok.... God knows how I missed the Skype thing, since I looked quite a few times, and now I feel like a complete *****... despite the delicate wording of your post.

To clarify, I wasn't trying to rant about bugs, because to be fair, I've not really come across any. I think the update was VERY good, it resolved most the things I thought were wrong or missing.

I just thought there may be people who have also noticed (I say "also" now, since the App Manager thing still applies) changes that they prefer the old way.

I figured that since a lot of people don't like change, and a lot that do, that maybe there may be room for a discussion on the changes people don't like (since it's a discussion forum).

Apparently I was wrong (about that too), and I may as well just answer people's questions on here, as opposed to spark up a new thread.

Thank you for pointing out that the Skype thing is still an option though - that was much appreciated

The Following User Says Thank You to Gazzlam For This Useful Post:
Probably you missed the option because it's in "Settings" section of Skype and it works only when your availability is not offline for the skype account (isn't this a strange decision )

And BTW i do not think anyone should make comments on your approach of asking such questions, nor on your individuality... A direct short answer would be sufficient...

Anyway the other option - for turning off video calls - is suprisingly in the settings of the Contacts application

Considering a thread about glitches/bugs in PR1.2 there is a dedicated thread really but a glitch is also this:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?p=698939

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
the virtual keyboard is even worse than the already crippled version before.

even more annoying: context menus. in older versions, you could tap and hold on a link or list item, make the context menu appear and then take away your finger to read the menu items before you selected one.

it was more diffictult to do than in maemo 4, but it worked.

now, it's almost impossible. the context menu almost always disappears when you lift your finer, so it's hard to tell whats in the menu and how to select it.

I prefer the new keyboard layout, but I am having more difficulty typing on it. Fortunately, I rarely use the virtual keyboard.

The long tap menu is more annoying now, agreed. Even worse since I've stopped dragging the stylus across the screen since I got hairline scratches from doing it... with your finger the menu is a lot more difficult.

But at least if you pull it up accidently, it goes away

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 23 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Germany
I'd actually like the context menu to appear to the top (left) of where you pressed, Since no matter what your finger will be in the way. It might even be configurable for it to show up left or right for right/left-handed people.

Originally Posted by benny1967 View Post
the virtual keyboard is even worse than the already crippled version before.
This is a matter of personal preference. I prefer it now