Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
I tend to agree, imagine the humiliation for MS if these comprehensively outsold their own Windows Phones.
i don't think this is impossible. price is king and a lot of the manufacturers are trying to build lower end phones (apple, samsung, even facebook is trying to expand internet access to "poorer" peope, so too is google). in fact, i would be very surprised if this low end android phone doesn't outsell Windows Phones.

Wait, two pages and no LumiaMan comment yet? I'm disappointed

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

Last edited by tortoisedoc; 2014-02-11 at 13:09.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by droll View Post
i don't think this is impossible. price is king and a lot of the manufacturers are trying to build lower end phones (apple, samsung, even facebook is trying to expand internet access to "poorer" peope, so too is google). in fact, i would be very surprised if this low end android phone doesn't outsell Windows Phones.
I don't think you understand the matter here from MS's viewpoint, their strategy is to push people to windows ecosystem. It dlse not matter what the ultimate cost of the handset is, and they are pushing the low end with 520 et al.

The chances of MS adopting Android platform are about the same order as of me ever installing windows on one of my computers, pretty slim even in this infinite universe!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,873 | Thanked: 4,529 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ North Potomac MD
The bottom line is the all mighty dollar. If Nokia of MS can make a buck doing this they will do it. I think their thinking is that if folks have decided to buy a low end android os phone and not buy a MS os phone they might as well buy MS/Nokia's android phone. Plus it provides an opportunity to build a bridge to MS products to those that have used and liked the low end Nokia products.

Last edited by mscion; 2014-02-11 at 14:28.

Originally Posted by mscion View Post
The bottom line is the all mighty dollar. If Nokia of MS can make a buck doing this they will do it. I think their thinking is that if folks have decided to buy a low end android os phone and not buy a MS os phone they might as well buy MS/Nokia's android phone. Plus it provides an opportunity to build a bridge to MS products to those that have used and liked the low end Nokia products.
It's all about the customers in the end;
if they can promote their services on the android platform, but offer the full-blown set only on windows phone, they have a pretty good hook. ofc the risk is people will go android and bye windows; this sounds like a desperate move to me... :|

LINKer - transform your N9's home view in a Desktop, give it the freedom it deserves! -> LINKer for Harmattan

QuickBar - Can't find the app you used yesterday in your overcrowded Home Screen? Want access to the QuickLaunch bar even in the home screen? QuickBar for Harmattan

If you like our work, and would like to support via PayPal : users.giulietta@gmail.com

The Following User Says Thank You to tortoisedoc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Come on, don't be silly. Microsoft is not going to offer what the customers want. They have clearly demonstrated it with Windows 8 (as did Gnome devs with Gnome 3, but that is another matter ). So no, Microsoft is not going to release phones with anything other than Windows on them. They will do everything they can to stuff WP down the customers' throats. By force if necessary.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 277 | Thanked: 546 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ rack city
Even if this device enters mass production i wonder for how long will it be supported by nokia? how many days will this project see? I dont see any high specs android phones from nokia in near future becoz it will be a danger to wp platform and that could create meego like situation.

Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I don't think you understand the matter here from MS's viewpoint, their strategy is to push people to windows ecosystem. It dlse not matter what the ultimate cost of the handset is, and they are pushing the low end with 520 et al.

The chances of MS adopting Android platform are about the same order as of me ever installing windows on one of my computers, pretty slim even in this infinite universe!
i actually think MS has already been left behind many times in the fight against android. Android has already evolved far beyond just mobile phones.

of course MS would be worried with Nokia making such a move. i am quite sure once the transaction closes (with MS buying over the devices portion of Nokia), they would totally kill this Android device by preventing Nokia from further developing it.

Originally Posted by Janitor X View Post
Is there a collaboration? From what I understand, and I might be wrong, Nokia and HTC just agreed to end their litigation over patents.
Nokia are reported to have said:
"the companies will also explore future technology collaboration opportunities."

The author of the article I linked to imagines that means working together on Windows Phone but as the patents belong to real Nokia (i.e. not MicroNokia) and they've already squandered billions flogging that particular dead horse I'd hope they were thinking of something more fruitful.

Originally Posted by switch-hitter View Post
I tend to agree, imagine the humiliation for MS if these comprehensively outsold their own Windows Phones.
How so?
You do realize is MS makes more money on this than WP, then they'll be happy.... right?

There would be 0 humiliation because MS would never disclose how much each platform sold or how much profit each platform raised.

If the trend continues, WP could eventually just turn into a handful Apps, UX and APIs just like Google has done (keeping ecosystem and OS separate).

We could have Windows on phones, tablets, TVs, watches and etc without an OS shipped from Redmond. It's called smart business.

I'm flattered