http://liliputing.com/2014/12/hp-pro...n-support.html
This Tablet also interests me. It is an 8 inch tablet with 2gb ram, a slightly newer intel atom the Z3736F and a active digitizer pen. I looked at the HP product sheet and the pen appears to be a synaptics digitizer as the pen on product sheet is similar to the Dell Venue 8/10 pro pen. It could also be an atmel active digitizer. Either way it looks like the Wacom and N-trig has been broken. We should see more windows tablets at CES.

For some reason, all these WindowsRT and Windows 8.1 tablets have been a big let down.
Common problems have been:
- build quality
- thickness
- weight
- battery life
- low memory
- slow processor
- screen quality

And when those downsides are not negated, then there is the issue of Windows. Its legacy support is great, but doesn't bode well for touch. But when you go to use the touch ui, the learning curve is stupendous. Much much worse than Android, which is touted as "not great" at least in comparison to iOS. On top of this, once you pass that learning curve all you see are the cracks in the armour. You keep scratching your head why they designed things that certain way because it makes no sense and is very counter intuitive.

I think at this point if the average person wants personal electronics get a:
- smartphone (iPhone 6, SGS4 or better)
- an iPad (cheap iPad 2, iPad mini 2, iPad Air 2)
- a laptop (Macbook Air/Pro Retina, Yoga Pro, XPS 13, Acer S7, Ativ, Elitebook, etc)

The hybrid revolution never quite happened.

I'm flattered

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by Kangal View Post
For some reason, all these WindowsRT and Windows 8.1 tablets have been a big let down.
I am the last person ever to say anything positive about windozy-things, but there are some who are pretty satisfied.
My wife uses an Asus W8.1 tablet (with some atom-i-dont-remember-whatsoever-cpu) and she is quite happy with it.

I made it pretty clear from the start I will be not maintaining/administring it for her because Windows is poison for my soul and I would die if I touched the thing. She has managed quite well with it herself.

I think at this point if the average person wants personal electronics get a:
- smartphone (iPhone 6, SGS4 or better)
- an iPad (cheap iPad 2, iPad mini 2, iPad Air 2)
- a laptop (Macbook Air/Pro Retina, Yoga Pro, XPS 13, Acer S7, Ativ, Elitebook, etc)
My list on what an user really should get is:
- smartphone; The Jolla device
- tablet: The Jolla tablet
- laptop: a secondhand Lenovo T60 (or X60s if you want a smaller one)

Anything else is waste of your money and bad for your health.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
I am the last person ever to say anything positive about windozy-things, but there are some who are pretty satisfied.
My wife uses an Asus W8.1 tablet (with some atom-i-dont-remember-whatsoever-cpu) and she is quite happy with it.

I made it pretty clear from the start I will be not maintaining/administring it for her because Windows is poison for my soul and I would die if I touched the thing. She has managed quite well with it herself.

Dude, I get where you're coming from but the point was from an average consumers point of view.

Lenovo T60... sure Windows7 is not too sucky, but this thing is aged bro. And not aged like wine, but like milk. Better to settle for something from 2012 (Ivy Bridge) and up. Upgrading of 2 years (and up) can ensure you upgrade at the major release, ie the tick of the "tick tock cycle".

Jolla Tablet is vaporware as far as the average consumer is conserned.

Jolla phone is small, slow, hard to get, difficult support, little third party interested as far as the average consumer is concerned. Its a very small niche. Blackberrys, Symbian, webOS, FirefoxOS, Ubuntu Phone.... all niche.

In fact, its hard to even recommend a Windows Phone 8.1 device.

I'm flattered

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Dude, I get where you're coming from but the point was from an average consumers point of view.

Lenovo T60... sure Windows7 is not too sucky, but this thing is aged bro. And not aged like wine, but like milk. Better to settle for something from 2012 (Ivy Bridge) and up. Upgrading of 2 years (and up) can ensure you upgrade at the major release, ie the tick of the "tick tock cycle".
Why I advocate those older Lenovo T* models is because the build quality of those devices is terrific; most of the laptops that are specced with "modern" chipsets are really crappy when regarding the display, keyboard and the general toughness of the devices.
If you desire real quality you need to shell out way ove 2000 euros.

And well why would you want to use any version of Windows is really behind my comprehension. The device I'm typping this with is running Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS for example...

Jolla Tablet is vaporware as far as the average consumer is conserned.

Jolla phone is small, slow, hard to get, difficult support, little third party interested as far as the average consumer is concerned. Its a very small niche. Blackberrys, Symbian, webOS, FirefoxOS, Ubuntu Phone.... all niche.

In fact, its hard to even recommend a Windows Phone 8.1 device.
So can you tell me why an user would want to select a system that is "not-a-niche-product", what benefit would that bring to you?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 334 | Thanked: 2,004 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ Fin

[Edit] Sorry offtopic..

Woah exactly same set what I have/am going to have! Expect I have one first hand T60 and one got for free from defense forces. I recommend also!:3

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eekkelund For This Useful Post:
Why I advocate those older Lenovo T* models is because the build quality of those devices is terrific; most of the laptops that are specced with "modern" chipsets are really crappy when regarding the display, keyboard and the general toughness of the devices.
If you desire real quality you need to shell out way ove 2000 euros.

It's not like Lenovo suddenly forgot how to make quality laptops, bro.
All I'm saying is that a newer model is better, because it incorporates some advancements.

And well why would you want to use any version of Windows is really behind my comprehension. The device I'm typping this with is running Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS for example...
I used to use openSUSE as stable, and Fedora for experiment.
Family all used Windows (98, XP, 7).
Uni had Macs (OSX) and Windows.

Then life kicks in, and I found myself getting more and more frustrated with somethings in linux distros. Mainly drivers, and some browser problems. And occassionally having to dig/research things to do stuff. Though most of my frustration was with Fedora. Then openSUSE really slacked off/fell behind Ubuntu and Fedora (although I still say they're the best :P). And I really hate Unity/whatever direction Ubuntu is going.

So after all that, I got a Windows 7 laptop and just being using that as my main computer. I later realized it was superior simply for the fact that I could do some things for work, and got leave earlier from work. Just upload it from my house wifi when I got home.

Soon after I noticed my N900 was collecting dust and failed to start. Got a new battery and it didn't work. Managed to fix it thanks to TMO and played around with it again. Then later noticed it was picking up dust again. And when I got the OG NOTE, I've pretty much been experimenting with it. So whatever time I had for experimenting the desktop computer and N900, has gone into work and just playing around with the NOTE (and later note 3).

Linux just got too tedious for me.
And I didn't really have any friends who were interested in it.
They all used Macbooks or Windows, and had iPhones or GalaxyS'.

Oh, I also started playing video games, I bought a PS3... so that too.

So can you tell me why an user would want to select a system that is "not-a-niche-product", what benefit would that bring to you?
To fill a niche purpose.

I [The Average Consumer] wouldn't buy a Windows Phone, they're simply inferior. But I could justify getting a Lumia 1020 for its camera purposes.

I wouldn't buy a Blackberry, but if it was necessary for a work network, then yeah its justified.

I wouldn't buy a Jolla Tablet, but if I'm interested in linux, or developing as a hobby, then yeah I would.

I don't know if that clarifies it. If my mum wanted a tablet, I wouldn't get her the Jolla Tablet, I'd get her the iPad. etc etc.

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
I have had a kind of opposite way-to-go

Long time ago, in the early nineties I used Windows, both at home and at work. I had also installed Linux in a computer at home and played with it a lot on the side, but my main computers were running various windows releases, from NT3.51 and later NT4.0, W95 and W98.
(and my first Linux was slackware, when kernel was still ~0.9 something)

The last Windows version I used was XP, and I think I gradually stopped using that around -04 or something. Linux had grown up so that it filled my desktop needs at work too, and at some point I also convinced my wife to switch using Linux.
(on the spring of 2000 I had switched jobs, and started to work on a department that did all the SWDEV on linux servers anyway, so desktop machine was just for the documentation, surfing, etc stuff)

My Linux distro history is something like this; Slackware -> RedHat -> Debian -> Ubuntu
(and I am still running Debian on my server machines, desktops are Ubuntu)

http://www.cnet.com/products/toshiba...-write-8-inch/
THe product from the Intel slide is real. It looks cool.