Active Topics

Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
USB-C is the way to go for a 2018 device, and I believe Chen already mentioned it would be USB-C.

However, I personnaly don't really care what USB type it comes with (I still prefer USB-C) as long as it features OTG. Carrying a small adapter attached to my mouse or keyboard or thumb drive is not the issue, being able to connect them is the most important for me.

Both USB-C and OTG are planned if I remember correctly.

Last edited by Kabouik; 2018-06-21 at 20:59.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Originally Posted by shaihkritzer View Post
still wondering which would be a better choice: moto z1/z2 with keyboard mod or this new qwerty device.

obviously once the specs are published it would be much easier to decide. still wondering in terms of pricing (it's possible to buy z1/z2 for approx. $100 now and the mod itself is approx $100 too. so it's $200 in sum), any idea what pricing range would fit this new device?
also the time is a good question, `cause it took really long to build the keyboard mod and I'm not sure it would be available to anyone outside IGG campaign. then how long would it take to build a whole device from scratch, even if it's obviously the case part would come from keyboard mod and it's about 90% done.

p.s. I know I should be patient but the news about unavailability of keyboard mod really makes me nervous, good oldie N900 won't last forever either.
The Moto Mods and this new project are developed separately by different teams members. They are more like in parallel.

The problem for the Mod is it adds too much thickness in the middle, and makes the top too heavy and overall too thick. Obviously an all in one device is much better.

Also some minor part like the springs, I have to kept the spring open in order to reduce middle part thickness for above reasons but this problem won't exist in the upcoming device.

My experience from Mod project is never rely on anyone else, regardless big or small, but being independent and control everything in my own hands.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
I know the development is well underway but will the device make use of the newly certified WPA3?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by nh1402 View Post
I know the development is well underway but will the device make use of the newly certified WPA3?
Good question

But why do you need that now?

I guess we don’t have a device currently but more of a scetch or blueprint of the design of the slider. Nothing more.

My answer is currently: no but it might be ready for WPA4.

If Chen going for skunk work, without crowed scamming I think there is no need to advertise the features unless there is a working device with a working OS ready for shipment.

But that just me.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2018-06-28 at 22:18.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
WPA3 is a software update that will be released for the various operating systems after it is finalized and released to the general public.

You will also need a wireless access point that has WPA3.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ka9yhd For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
It's under R&D process integrating the new features into design. (Such as boarder-less screen but in slider form.)

BTW, it won't be the specs in this thread posted last year, it is actually much higher.

Plan to show some working proto next quarter.
Well, it's the next quarter now, let the countdown commence.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nh1402 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by nh1402 View Post
Well, it's the next quarter now, let the countdown commence.
Yeah. I vote for the final countdown! But any countdown would do.

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Status update: Chen is possibly working with something. And you and me are waiting to see if this is real or not. And if so, how real.

Sit tight!

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,478 | Thanked: 9,871 times | Joined on Dec 2008 @ Shanghai / London
Some member here has already seen it. Once more progress has been made I will share with them again and take feedback.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to chenliangchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by chenliangchen View Post
Some member here has already seen it. Once more progress has been made I will share with them again and take feedback.
"I have shown it to one but I am not going to show it to anyone else." That is a VERY curious approach. Why not share the progress with everyone?

Also... why would anyone "thank" that post? Are people so desperate that they are thankful for any illusion of an update?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:

Tags
n950 revival, q-device, qwerty keyboard, sailfishos, sailingchen