Notices

I know that geocaching has been raised before but there are no recent threads running.

Trimble's Geocache Navigator on S60 was a cracking tool. It just worked.

On the N900, there are a couple of geocaching apps but they involve downloading the pocket queries, creating a db and then importing them into another app like geotoad.

The recent AGTL is buggy and the maps seemed to have stopped loading. Step in the right direction though.

Has anyone got any plans to port or code an online geocaching tool for the N900 or are we stuck with these slow and slightly painful methods?

Anyone got a mate at Trimble? ;-)

That's what I use:

On the PC: Firefox with Greasemonkey Add-on and GCTour (http://gctour.madd.in/) to prepare a gpx file of a number of caches.

On the N900: GPXView to load the gpx file

Works fine.

Posts: 345 | Thanked: 467 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by bjknight View Post
On the N900, there are a couple of geocaching apps but they involve downloading the pocket queries, creating a db and then importing them into another app like geotoad.
Are you talking about GPXView? You just click on "tools/geotoad" within gpxview and it will do the download and import automatically. Is this really too complex for you? What would have to be simplified to make it useful for you? You might even do the necessary changes yourself as the source code is free.

I just checked the trimble thing. It costs $30. GPXView is free and so are all the other geocaching tools for Maemo. Of course there's a difference between tools that someone actually earns significant money with and some spare time projects.

Originally Posted by bjknight View Post
The recent AGTL is buggy and the maps seemed to have stopped loading. Step in the right direction though.
Version 0.6.0 released just minutes ago. Please try it out, and if the bug persists, report it, so I can fix it.

I can highly recommend the current AGTL.
Better than the iphone app.

I got a surprising bug in AGTL after the last update: It doesn't load the logs anymore. The tab stays blank, only hints are shown :-(

Posts: 38 | Thanked: 10 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ GTA Ontario
AGTL is a great appl. If only geocaching.com could make up their mind and do not change their site so often, AGTL can catch-up and work as it is intended.