I was planning to buy a N9 as soon as it comes out but I am afraid if Nokia really partnerships with Microsoft all new nokia phones would have windows. Is it possible that Nokia will leave N9 and stop developing Meego as they did with our Maemo? Meego looks great but I am kinda afraid that Nokia will leave the N9 as they left N900!

You can bet on it that Nokia won't be sticking with Meego Elop confirm this himself.
http://www.fiercewireless.com/story/...hit/2011-06-27
They much preferred a closed source OS like microsoft.

But look on the bright side. You have the community that is guarantee to take good care of your device. Best Regards

Last edited by Garcel; 2011-07-01 at 01:37.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Apps support wise, it would be better than N900 although still nowhere near as good as WP7/Android/iOS. I expect N9 to sell at least 5-10x more than the N900. So yeah, you will have more community devs jumping onboard as well.

At the end, I think you should be just thankful that N9 is being released at all. =)

The Following User Says Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
I expect N9 to sell at least 5-10x more than the N900.
You're far too optimistic. It's a shame Nokia never bothers to publish numbers.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

I think it won't be a good idea to buy a N9 as it would be a dead platform. On the bright side I am very thankful to all the Dev's who didn't let our maemo die and kept making applications so we can compete with Iphone's and Andoid and I hope there is a community for N9 to take good care of our device.

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 847 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
You're far too optimistic. It's a shame Nokia never bothers to publish numbers.
Maemo Downloads still serves about 200k downloads per day, so even N900 must've sold in some reasonable amounts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bergie For This Useful Post:
Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
Maemo Downloads still serves about 200k downloads per day, so even N900 must've sold in some reasonable amounts.
Nokia always say that they were surprised by the number of N900 sales. I think the number might be pretty big. So far I have met 4 other N900 users, none of which registered at this forum.

I think this is why the N950 will be so hard to get..so that Nokia can not support it and leave alpha apps on it and no one can complain. I think they wanted the N900 to be like the N950..a beta product..but sales got out of hand ^_^.

Still it doesn't make any sense..a lot of money must have been spent to design the hardware, form factor and software for the N950..why limit it only to loans and only 250? Why not release a version with N9's software to the masses? And why release a developer product for a platform they will not support? It just doesn't make any senbse..then again nothing Nokia did these past 3 years and especially this last year made any sense..to me anyway.

Last edited by pantera1989; 2011-07-01 at 21:53.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Apps support wise, it would be better than N900
A quick look at maemo.org/downloads[1] doesn't support such conclusions for community projects. As for commercial developers, keeping in mind that Nokia actively discouraged Maemo 5 development even after Qt became mainstream on it, I wouldn't expect much until other manufacturers produce MeeGo products. Ones that are not pronounced dead on arrival.

[1]Summary:
  • 770: 253 packages
  • N8x0: 512 packages
  • N900: 658 packages

Note that the vast majority of these are Hildon apps, ie not portable to Harmattan

The Following User Says Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bergie View Post
Is that counting only downloads via maemo.org/downloads or all repository.maemo.org access? Are those 200K downloads Fremantle-only or total? What is the extras/extras-devel ratio? Are these stats publicly available somewhere?

Last edited by lma; 2011-07-02 at 07:54.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
lma asks for good specifics.. anything?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Tags
nokiabrandfail