Notices

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
so it wont work if you have stock kernel??

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton, UK
Originally Posted by f2thak View Post
so it wont work if you have stock kernel??
Until I am able to make some changes, looks that way.

Posts: 4,365 | Thanked: 2,467 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Australia Mate
weird..............................!!!!!!!

Originally Posted by mr id View Post
It's okay it's not you. Just tried running at stock the experience is far from good! Seeing the same thing of a brief snatch of sound and then nothing, if I manually advance the timeline I get another snippet and then silence again.

I always had doubts about how well this port could perform on the default kernel. Still at least I can reproduce it here, so I'll know when it improves.

cheers
May I ask what kernel/OC you are using to get nice performance?

Originally Posted by f2thak View Post
weird..............................!!!!!!!
It's a port of a desktop app that does audio processing. Sadly not that weird. Your sig suggests you overclock anyway, maybe just not in the summer?

Originally Posted by outdoors View Post
May I ask what kernel/OC you are using to get nice performance?
Currently running Titan's v45 @950/125 have been for about the last 6 months - all stable. Still get dropouts if I get a text or something else significant is running in the background.

If previous experience is anything to go by a project like this starts out as an interface rewrite and then ends up with an engine rewrite anyway.

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 24 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Paris
I suspect the audio and the timeline animation is proving a strain at stock kernel speeds and audio gives way. I may have to look at setting an option to not animate the timeline whilst playing or recording until I can get around to streamlining in general.
It reminds me the early days of Bhajis loops when Olivier, the developper, was trying to get this ***** timeline cursor running in the pattern editor, he said it was *the* worst memory hog ever, and finally gave up on displaying it. The usability did not suffer as much as one would think. AFAIC, the most important kind of accuracy we need is *audio*.
Of Course visual accuracy is nice too, but more when "editing" (I like your "trim at playhead" command very much, BTW)

I played with an Android (based on this cpu) phone for 2 weeks, and tried an app called 16 bars, the interface is *very* minimalistic : Just a static screen, you only have the sound of your first track to cue the second one in, but it works. I tried recording a metronome on track one, loading it in the app (yes, you cannot even record *two* tracks in it, just one over some existing mp3) and recording another one, the tracks were nicely playing along.
This was actually the first time I did successful re-recording on a palm-sized battery-based machine.

All this very-remotely-english verbiage to say : If the display must blank completely while I'm recording something, it's fine with me.

I have a tendency to sing and play w/ my eyes closed anyway

This app is going to ROCK, I can tell

Last edited by xaccrocheur; 2010-11-27 at 11:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to xaccrocheur For This Useful Post:
Thanks xaccrocheur,

Some good insight there.

At least I know what I'm doing at the weekend now!

Just to give a quick overview of what's on the TODO list at the moment:
  • Rework timeline animation to be optional
  • Hildonize menus
  • Improve library
  • Allow setting output device.
  • Performance Tweaks ... and tweaks ...

Last edited by mr id; 2010-11-26 at 11:18. Reason: Typo

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mr id For This Useful Post:
Thanks xaccrocheur,

Some good insight there.

At least I know what I'm doing at the weekend now!

Just to give a quick overview of what's on the TODO list at the moment:
  • Rework timeline animation to be optional
  • Hildonize menus
  • Improve library
  • Allow setting output device.
  • Performance Tweaks ... and tweaks ...
In my opinion, the menus are just fine. No need to hildonize. At least not a priority. Best served sould be to ditch the timeline animation. As someone said before, the audio is the only thing we need really.

As for output device and such I would have to say its not that important for me. The use of this app is being able to record my guitar, vocals and harmonys during a campingtrip or something. Not doing studio work and gold records

So I would focus on making it useable as a very simple multitrack recorder to start with. And add the fancy stuff later.

But hey, thats just me.

The Following User Says Thank You to outdoors For This Useful Post:
In my opinion, the menus are just fine. No need to hildonize. At least not a priority. Best served sould be to ditch the timeline animation. As someone said before, the audio is the only thing we need really.
Granted. My feeling is that once you have the basic performance available to you the menus will quickly become an issue as you start to see the value in those options. Anyway, it's a key part of the port to me to make it native.

Sadly, the timeline (forggetting animation) becomes quite critical when you start multitracking, you've not been able to experience it yet but pulseaudio supplies a noticable lag between playback and record - the timeline is the best way to manually correct this by dragging each clip to a small increment to resynchronise the performance. yes, there are other ways to enable this correction but dragging a block on a magnified timeline feels very natural.

As for output device and such I would have to say its not that important for me. The use of this app is being able to record my guitar, vocals and harmonys during a campingtrip or something. Not doing studio work and gold records
Don't worry, if you want to work with the defaults (mic in / headphone out) you wont even notice this. It's a small piece of work anyway.

So I would focus on making it useable as a very simple multitrack recorder to start with. And add the fancy stuff later.
Wholeheartedly agree. Thanks for your comments.