Yes
________

Author of TouchSearch -- web searching software for Maemo 5.

Mobile Device lineage: Palm Z22 -> Palm TX -> Nokia N800 -> Nokia N900

U said some files were different... what examples??? Something is not right in either permissions; or a skipped file; between the img and your partition... bash is failing to load for some reason.
pyRadio - Pandora Radio on your N900, N810 or N800!

The sym links have different permissions. Interestingly enough, in emelfm2 when I hit info of the sym links, it says to '....ect/example' MISSING. I'm missing things in /ect/?

Well I'm not the best with images.. and I know nothing of the copy of elemfm2 but I bet something (a lot) is missing.

I would retry.. this time either use cp -pr from command line (and seeing if it fails trying to copy any files)... or some kind of combo of gzip/zcat or a dd if= of= or something along those lines to get an exact copy..

I'm trying to google to find a way to extract an ext2 image to partition... will post if i get/find a step by step..

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
You need to reboot your tablet and post the messages from the first time you run the chroot. You'll notice that your posted messages say, "chroot set up already!" so it is completely skipping the partition mounting steps. If it still says "chroot set up already!" after rebooting, you've messed something up in your script so that it never mounts the partition.

I run my chroot from a partition, too, because it is much faster, and all I did was change the ~/.chroot file to point to the right place.

Perhaps I should upload a tarball with the rootfs from the img file, so you can just untar that into your partition.

Last edited by qole; 2008-08-08 at 20:53.

Qole he did that so that when he ran the copy he wasn't copying over active /dev, an active /tmp, and the maemo /home ... which was correct. - though unneccessary.

He said later he put it back to normal after he did the copy... it's the copy he's having trouble with.. and I think emelfm2 skipped files.. maybe hidden files or something like that..

Last edited by fatalsaint; 2008-08-08 at 20:54.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
yeah I edited my post when I realized I had mis-read it.

Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post
Qole he did that so that when he ran the copy he wasn't copying over active /dev, an active /tmp, and the maemo /home ... which was correct. - though unneccessary.

He said later he put it back to normal after he did the copy... it's the copy he's having trouble with.. and I think emelfm2 skipped files.. maybe hidden files or something like that..
That is correct. I didn't know how to mount the debian-img.ext2 file, so I did the best I could by temporarily deleting the mount lines.

It would be great if you could upload a rootfs tarball...it would make this process a bit easier.

I started uploading the file as soon as I posted. It is the same size as the image file, so it will take a while for me to upload and it will take you a while to download

I'll post a link as soon as it is ready.

But reboot, chroot (ie run "sudo debian"), and post your messages, please.

sudo debian does nothing.

debian on the other hand prints this:
Code:
Setting up the chroot...
using image file: /dev/mmcblk1p2
insmod: cannot insert '/mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.21-omap1/mbcache.ko': File exists (-1): File exists
Using ext2 file system
insmod: cannot insert '/mnt/initfs/lib/modules/2.6.21-omap1/ext2.ko': File exists (-1): File exists
mount: mounting /media/usb on /debian/media/usb failed
Everything set up, running chroot...
chroot: cannot execute /bin/sh: No such file or directory
/home/user #

Tags
chroot, debian, easy debian