I realize that this is the same issue with emails. If I delete my emails on the N900, it also gets deleted on my gmail account. To make it worse, it doesn't go to trash or deleted item, it just vanishes from your account without a trace.

Also, how do you get MSN? I thought it doesn't come with the phone and I can't seem to find a MSN messenger for the phone except for aMSN.

Last edited by MNX1024; 2009-11-26 at 23:46.

Originally Posted by MNX1024 View Post
I realize that this is the same issue with emails. If I delete my emails on the N900, it also gets deleted on my gmail account. To make it worse, it doesn't go to trash or deleted item, it just vanishes from your account with a trace.

Also, how do you get MSN? I thought it doesn't come with the phone and I can't seem to find a MSN messenger for the phone except for aMSN.
Is there any way to Archive Gmail emails on the N900?

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by jjx View Post
Judging from the OP's report: "Delete all contacts" deletes contacts that have never been synced onto the phone.
There's no such thing. The contacts list is really just like the contacts list in Pidgin. If you add an account (Google, MSN, ICQ, Skype, whatever), then all of the contacts are downloaded and magically appear in your contacts list. If you remove the account, the contacts disappear.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by MNX1024 View Post
MNX1024: Have you enabled Extras in your Application Manager yet? If so, install "account-plugin-haze" and you will get all of the Pidgin account types.

("haze" is a reference to "purple haze", libpurple being the library used by Pidgin for all of the different account types)

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 610 | Thanked: 391 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ DC, USA
Originally Posted by jjx View Post
Or are you suggesting every time you add a contact, remember to write that change down somewhere else too? Possible, but a tad inconvenient and prone to forgetting from time to time.
Yes. I don't trust electronic backups. I have a document that I keep my contacts in, and I print it out when I update it. No electromagnetic pulse will erase that paper.

Deuteronomy 13:6-10; 2 Kings 2:23-24; Judges 19:22-29

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by Staska View Post
My problem occurred when I manually deleted the contacts, by selecting them 10-30 at a time and using general contact deletion button.
I think this could be solved with a simple dialogue when deleting one or more contacts.

"You can choose to delete contacts from this phone only (locally), which only affects your phone, or to delete them from your buddy lists on MSN & Skype as well as your phone. How do you want to delete the following contacts?

john (MSN), fred (MSN), jjx (Skype)

[Delete locally] [Delete from server] [Cancel]

Btw, is there a bugs.maemo.org entry for this yet?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jjx For This Useful Post:
That sucks!!!! Nokia should seperate online and phone contacts. And we all should make a backup of online contacts as a lesson

Posts: 474 | Thanked: 283 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by mullf View Post
Yes. I don't trust electronic backups. I have a document that I keep my contacts in, and I print it out when I update it. No electromagnetic pulse will erase that paper.
I have the same thing

But I find I sometimes forget to update it, when I add someone's number to my phone and I'm not near the computer to edit the document.

When that's happened, they tend to stay off the document forever, even if they are people I'm calling a lot - after all if I knew they weren't on the document, I'd have put them on already.

It's a long job to go through phone contacts comparing them against the list in the document.

Of course with N900 it's possible to edit the document right there when a contact is added :-) But I know that I'll forget sometimes, being in a rush or whatever.

This is why they invented things like SyncML. But there's that uneasy feeling that it might delete or corrupt something silently - unless a syncing app has really proven itself to be rock solid.

I've used Nokia PC Suite with other Nokia phones, and that does mangle contacts on a regular basis - because the fields it shows in the contacts view are very limited, and not at all as complete as the fields in the phone's contacts database.

Last edited by jjx; 2009-11-27 at 00:01.

Originally Posted by Staska View Post
Actually, there is a feature "Delete all contacts" that deletes them and does not touch IM lists. It's just a bit hidden under the "Contacts"-->"Settings" and I did not notice it at first.

My problem occurred when I manually deleted the contacts, by selecting them 10-30 at a time and using general contact deletion button.
Well, lets say I add my MSN contact list, which is quite huge...
I'd like to have a different list of MSN contacts on the N900 to keep the contact list clean. There's probably a way to do that....not that I know...I'm getting my N900 somewhere Q1 2010

The Following User Says Thank You to Arif For This Useful Post:
Posts: 280 | Thanked: 72 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Switzerland
Typical b/s that you hear from Nokia...tut

Well basically, to save yourself from this pain & anger, try to backup the most important contacts you have. It's always important to back everything up. I know you can't backup every single thing you add on, but at least the most important stuff you should.

Tags
lack of quality control