Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Morning guys.

passeridae, not a hoax, just not quite what was offered.
It was not video out but was still VERY cool and got people talking

Read my comment on the posting you put.

The other thing to look at is upping the USB transfer speed. Anyone know the limitation here?

Originally Posted by TA-t3 View Post
I would be extremely interested if I could somehow run my presentations (just slides) directly from my N800 instead of using the laptop. It would be even better if I could just connect a (tiny) device to the projector and do the rest via wi-fi (then I could move around a bit too). Was that what the nobounds project was up to?
HI TA-t3, I saw some posts from you here in the "internettabletalk forum" talking about use N8x0 for the connection with a projector to use just for slide presentations. I just bought today a N800 and my first interest for the internet tablet is also to replace the laptop connection w/ projector during my classes. Did you find some solution for that?

Thanks in advance.

Graham Cobb and some others worked on a USB2VGA adapter solution. Here is the link.

http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...hlight=usb2vga

From the thread, the solution seems to work well for slideshows, but that's about it.

Posts: 15 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Bochum, Germany
After noBounds! is cooking up again and again with a lot of wrong speculation...

First: IT'S REAL! But some introducing words:

noBounds! is not delivering earlier, since all my Teammembers and myself were required to seek a different company and/or to relocate after whole Nokia Bochum (>2300 people: Production and R&D) has been closed down in 2008.
I can understand your disappointment. I'm very sorry about that delay, but I hope you can understand, too why this was a significant blow!

FYI, my old noBounds! publication was:
http://www.internettablettalk.com/20...ounds-project/

Liquid-HD by Silicon Image, my new Employer in Hannover, has handled all even more closed in the beginning, unfortunatly. Exceptions are a few publications as e.g. on youtube. The source-device in the Video can be an N900 over WiFi, too.

The bad fate is: My new Employer has recently decided to close all European R&D locations... But there is again hope, I can't publish now, sorry! I'm getting used to this :-(

Referring to qole:
The "big-sized demo" was using a very old and intentionally limited Laptop (instead of N900 at that time) as source-device to speed up our Implementation work. I had to start from scratch! Additonally, I've received the N900 not before that day.

The very first sink-side box has about CD-area, but is very empty:
http://ces.cnet.com/8301-19167_1-10137194-100.html

Above devel-device additionally includes debug-hardware, legacy etc. As a product it can be battery powered and much smaller, e.g like a phone.

Afterwards, the low-cost chip ($10) of the sink-box would be integrated into the TV or Projector:
http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2338367,00.asp

noBounds! can be understood as an external Smartphone-companion GPU. It's expanding N900's capabilities and can relieve the local N900-CPU, too. This enables Desktop-like behaviour (e.g. with 1920x1080p GUI) of the N900 without any PC!
Only needed are: N900 with driver SW, WiFi and our remote-GPU connected to a TV or Projector.
You can compare that situation very well to e.g. ATI or nVidea Graphic-cards in a PC, but the CPU (i.e. N900) is connected to the LiquidGPU over build-in USB or WiFi, instead of a PCI-bus.

Sorry, I still have to be a little diffident , as competition is reading here, too!

Anyway, in the meantime noBounds works well on N900, too!

For HD-video streaming (e.g. 1280x720p, more than N900 current capture capabilities) our executable & python GUI takes <10% of N900, but the N900 Mass-storage driver and WiFi driver take a little more. Anyway, there is still a lot of headroom free.

For FullHD GUI (1920x1080p), the ARM CPU is used only in short peaks, seldom more than 10%. Mostly 0..1% CPU time. RAM usage is also quite neglectable, while reaction time is still immediatly.

So, I hope you can keep your patience ....

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BeIng For This Useful Post:
Posts: 87 | Thanked: 47 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Sorocaba, Brasil
Originally Posted by BeIng View Post
Anyway, in the meantime noBounds works well on N900, too!

For HD-video streaming (e.g. 1280x720p, more than N900 current capture capabilities) our executable & python GUI takes <10% of N900, but the N900 Mass-storage driver and WiFi driver take a little more. Anyway, there is still a lot of headroom free.
Doesn't this technology need usb host mode support in the tablet? Am I wrong?

If so, how is it working on N900 as it does not have the necessary support for usb host mode? Or does it mean that it indeed supports the mode and we all in this forum have been fooled?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Belng;
How does your scaling resolve with the different UI of the maemo 5 platofrm (finger-friendly does not scale nicely on higher resolutions) and there needs to be some mouse/keyboard, wireless accessory support to make this work best - does noBounds address this aspect of the Mamemo 5 platform?

Nevertheless, I'm quite excited to read that its still going on. Especially considering my personal use of mobile devices.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
I am very intrigued. Exactly what I was looking for. Estimated time till availability please?

Originally Posted by dalonso View Post
Doesn't this technology need usb host mode support in the tablet? Am I wrong?

If so, how is it working on N900 as it does not have the necessary support for usb host mode? Or does it mean that it indeed supports the mode and we all in this forum have been fooled?

Thanks in advance.
The USB mode host/peripheral/OTG is not relevant for noBounds as long as any link is established.

Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
Belng;
How does your scaling resolve with the different UI of the maemo 5 platofrm (finger-friendly does not scale nicely on higher resolutions) and there needs to be some mouse/keyboard, wireless accessory support to make this work best - does noBounds address this aspect of the Mamemo 5 platform?

Nevertheless, I'm quite excited to read that its still going on. Especially considering my personal use of mobile devices.
We don't scale a ready GUI-output at all, as this would lead to reduced quality! It's matter of any Application to read the information there is e.g. a FullHD display connected and re-arrange properly on it's own. This still is the case with most Apps ported form PC to N900. Btw, that's the same situation as with vertical- vs. horizontal display support: The App needs to have the right designed GUI support, which takes time.
noBounds is mostly part of the System level (X.org...), not necessarily the application level. It can be a nested X-Server like Xephyr on App-level, or an additional screen like in Xinerama and XDMX on lower level.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BeIng For This Useful Post: