Posts: 252 | Thanked: 597 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Denmark
Hi,

Well. I've been really glad for my N900 but not for it's battery life.

Do you have any good ideas on a good way to treat your battery so you get most hours out of it and it last longer.

Maybe some good charging methods?
I often leave my on connected to my computer all day long it that a bad idea?
I always remember to charge it before it goes down to like 20%. I've heard that it's a bad to run the battery dead and then charge it to it full and therefore I rarely do that.

Despite the fact that I've many things that I don't like about the N9 I decided to buy a rarely used example because I want a phone with a better battery life and the possibility to travel and go out without thinking of charging all the time. Also I don't like Android but thats a different story.

The phone will hopefully be delivered in a few days and has only been used 3-4 times. However the battery on the N9 is'nt easily replaceable and therefore I would really like to get some advice on how to treat and charge the battery so it last the longest.

I'm looking forward to your suggestions

P.S. I'm still planing on using my N900 although I get the N9

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
Read the battery life posts in the N900 area, there are loads!

There are apps to turn off the 3g and wifi when not needed and of course turn the brightness down and turn of or delay email checking etc.

Have a read of this post for starters.

Last edited by bockersjv; 2012-02-24 at 01:08.

second bockersjv's suggestions

regarding charging cycles: a friend of mine keeps her laptop connected to power supply 24/7, except when she needs it in another room for some time; after nearly 2 yrs of that, the battery is still in pretty good shape

this being said, the important thing with Li-on isn't the discharge level but that you always recharge it to 100%
once a month, it is also good practice to let the battery run completely empty & recharge it completely while the device is powered OFF

you may also want to get yourself batterygraph and check how high it (still) charges
1200+ mAh should be normal
my 1st battery was "dead on arrival"; i couldn't use the phone away for more then a couple hrs even with very energy efficient use; got myself a new original one for 15 bucks & happy now

Posts: 528 | Thanked: 345 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ MLB.AU
Turn off all sounds but calls and messages

Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
This Guide covers much of the above and a bit more

Generally my N900 lasts a day easily, I did replace the battery with a scud one after 18 months too. I have found that after 5 yrs as a smart phone user you develop a habit of plugging your phone in at every opportunity

Posts: 244 | Thanked: 354 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Scotland
Leave it powered off? My battery lasts at least a good two weeks or so in that state.

The Following User Says Thank You to gregoranderson For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by misterc View Post

regarding charging cycles: a friend of mine keeps her laptop connected to power supply 24/7, except when she needs it in another room for some time; after nearly 2 yrs of that, the battery is still in pretty good shape

this being said, the important thing with Li-on isn't the discharge level but that you always recharge it to 100%
once a month, it is also good practice to let the battery run completely empty & recharge it completely while the device is powered OFF

you may also want to get yourself batterygraph and check how high it (still) charges
my 1st battery was "dead on arrival"; i couldn't use the phone away for more then a couple hrs even with very energy efficient use; got myself a new original one for 15 bucks & happy now
WTF have you been smoking? Charge it 100% once a...Good practice to empty/recharge with device off...WTF I don't even.

If anything li-ion 'likes' to sit around 80%. There is a charge controller chip so you cannot really do much to push the battery out of it's 'comfort' zone.

The most important feature you need for battery life is kernel power 49 with smart reflex enabled. If you are not getting a full days use then you have possibly buggered up your phone and need a reflash.

Originally Posted by misterc View Post

did some research following another thread and the fully discharge / charge tip does not apply to li-ion batteries
check the other post for more...

Posts: 738 | Thanked: 819 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Berlin
Is there now a possibility for a N9 turn off the WLAN completely? over a programm or the terminal?
I used the wifi rather less. Therefore, it would be nice if we could turn it off to save energy.