Well sevdali, look at additional things

Things like hardware specs, how much space do you need? Both are expandable with microSD cards. But there's no (official) way to run applications from the SD card on Android yet. You can (unofficially) though. N900 comes with around 32 GB of built in flash memory (more around 27-29 GB after you take out the 2 GB /opt parttition and factor in whether they're counting by 10^2 or not).

Then there's what kind of applications you want to run. How often do you multi-task. Both devices multi-task but the N900 is better at it once you start going above 6 apps.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
Originally Posted by Enyibinakata View Post
Of course I'll advice a lot of people to buy e.g. the Nokia 5800XM over the iPhone for a number of reason, cost, openess, great sound quality, flash in camera, flash support in browser, build quality and most of all functionality. A lot of feature / dumb phone users expect to be able to transfer files via bluetooth, plug in their phone to any computer and easily add mp3 by drag and drop (no iTunes), run Nimbuzz and other apps in the background, run Java apps, GPS Nav with stored maps; a lot of users actually like the idea of setting their own ringtone, wall paper, theme i.e. general customisation. I could go on and on but I guess I've made my point. There is more to functionality than seductive UI.

So yes Apple is big on HYPE marketing (here in the UK, the iPhone has seen more TV time than all of Nokia smartphones put together) and branding plus spiced up UI. Nokia is big on function. Yes they need to improve usability, but if the stats are anything to go by, 100s of millions of users prefer its function over form - and not having to pay an arm and a leg for it .

I dont even need to advice anyone as the masses are buying the Nokia 5800XM in droves. Its the biggest selling smartphone in the UK and the top music player (as at April 2009).

Dont get carried away by the HYPE tsunami.

Next ?
i meant he n900 not the 5800 and yes with the 5800 your point is more valid.

BUT you are seperating function and usabilty- in practise there is no seperation thats the fundimental problem and why your argument fails- its about UI.

you also fail to undserstand the market- 90% of people want something that works and works well staright out the box, they dont care if you call them a dumb user or not.

the n95 had every function under the sun- problem is none worked effectively.

Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post

Things like hardware specs, how much space do you need? Both are expandable with microSD cards. But there's no (official) way to run applications from the SD card on Android yet. You can (unofficially) though. N900 comes with around 32 GB of built in flash memory (more around 27-29 GB after you take out the 2 GB /opt parttition and factor in whether they're counting by 10^2 or not).

Then there's what kind of applications you want to run. How often do you multi-task. Both devices multi-task but the N900 is better at it once you start going above 6 apps.
The additional things are almost same for both devices. Hardware-wise they look similar. N1 has a larger screen which I may prefer. The funny thing is I used n800 and like the big screen.

Also the storage space is not a big deal for me. I am a developer and at this point the main difference is the OSs Maemo 5 vs Android 2.1.

Posts: 290 | Thanked: 68 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Barbados/London
Originally Posted by mysticrokks View Post

you also fail to undserstand the market- 90% of people want something that works and works well staright out the box
and for that works well out of the box....you used an iphone that wasnt jailbroken?......

Originally Posted by sevdali View Post
The additional things are almost same for both devices. Hardware-wise they look similar. N1 has a larger screen which I may prefer. The funny thing is I used n800 and like the big screen.

Also the storage space is not a big deal for me. I am a developer and at this point the main difference is the OSs Maemo 5 vs Android 2.1.
Well you did say your familar with Java. As of now the N900 doesn't really have a java like environment available (though I believe it's possible through EasyDebian). So it does sound that if you prefer Java that the Nexus might be better for you.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Well you did say your familar with Java. As of now the N900 doesn't really have a java like environment available (though I believe it's possible through EasyDebian). So it does sound that if you prefer Java that the Nexus might be better for you.
Yes, you are right Nexus might be better for me.
I know C/C++/Phyton/Java but I like&prefer Java.
The thing is n900 also supports Java but unofficially, there is a thread about it. But I like Android's official support.

Posts: 589 | Thanked: 54 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ london
Originally Posted by RobertHall View Post
and for that works well out of the box....you used an iphone that wasnt jailbroken?......
it still worked well b4 i jailbroke mine

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL

Things like hardware specs, how much space do you need? Both are expandable with microSD cards. But there's no (official) way to run applications from the SD card on Android yet. .
"Andy Rubin revealed something that’s sure to be a relief for Android users and developers alike: you’ll eventually be able to store a vast number of applications on your phone, even large ones the same way you can on an iPhone. The change will come with a future software update, when Android begins storing applications as encrypted files on the SD card. Rubin didn’t say how long it will be until we see the update, but it’s clear that the team is working to resolve the problem."

Coming.

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Gainesville, FL
Originally Posted by fatalsaint View Post

So in other words.. not yet.

http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/05/n...what-you-wish/

Posts: 387 | Thanked: 566 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Dublin
158 comments read later and my eyes are bleeding.
ok i'll keep it as short as possible.

R&D crap.
nokia develop both phone hardware and software

android is a join development with google the big boss. do the research.
htc, motorola,samsung, etc all develop the hardware. not google.

google farts everyone sniffs and same goes with apple.(my hype metaphor)
take the nintendo wii major hype but it's like a scooter, only fun for a while.

compare the new symbian phones to the iphone and g1 and so on as they will be it's compatition. if any of you bothered with all the press release videos available on nokia.com you'd know what the plans are.

so when the next 150 posts appear i'd like to read something based more on fact then opinion on what can and can't be done and what will and won't be done.

facts are their both good, both serve different needs. my biggest regret is the hour reading all this.

Last edited by smegheadz; 2010-01-06 at 03:14.

The Following User Says Thank You to smegheadz For This Useful Post: