Active Topics

Notices

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by superhyper View Post
Well I guess today's announcement of turn-by-turn for Ovi maps pretty much kills this....assuming it ever comes to maemo of course.
It seems to me to be an irrelevant announcement, no?

Originally Posted by superhyper View Post
Well I guess today's announcement of turn-by-turn for Ovi maps pretty much kills this....assuming it ever comes to maemo of course.
It will come to maemo and yes today's announcement kills this.

Posts: 233 | Thanked: 170 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by sevdali View Post
It will come to maemo and yes today's announcement kills this.
Yeah, kills it! Unless you want navigation for your n900 THIS year.

Posts: 119 | Thanked: 124 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Brazil
I wonder if Sygic knew in advance about this Ovi Maps announcement...

Maybe that's why they ported their SW to Maemo, since Nokia doesn't seem to prioritize Ovi Maps for Maemo catching up with Ovi Maps 3.0

I just don't wanna imagine that Nokia is delaying turn-by-turn navigation on purpose in order to not hurt Sygic investments on Maemo platform. If I worked for Sygic and they had launched Ovi Maps 3.0 for Maemo yesterday, I would certainly be pissed off...

Sygic might be a nice SW, the price would be interesting ...
However, given the uncertainty on the availability (and quality) of Ovi Maps (They seem to skip Maemo 5 ... likely)I would not recommend to spend much money on Sygic or any other Maemo 5 SW. It sounds as if M5 and M6 will be as incompatible as previously, and no upgrade paths - well, of course you can buy another Nokia in half a year ;-)

Waiting for the next device with Maemo 6 to solve current deficiencies is something I definitely won't do it. If Ovi Maps 3.0 (with all the benefits they proudly announced) doesn't become available for N900, this will be my last Nokia product at all.
How can be sure that the future Maemo 6 device won't promise some features that would also just be properly implemented in a Maemo 7 device?

Just received a post from mafiatounes on Nokia Discussion with some good news, let's hope it is true indeed:

Nokia N900 to Get Ovi Maps 3.03:
http://noknok.tv/2010/01/22/free-ovi...nd-nokia-n900/

Extracted from the article:
"Ovi Maps will initially only be supported by 10 smartphones. If you’re a Nokia N900 user, which runs Maemo 5 rather than Symbian, thankfully support is on its way. Read on to find out more…"

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
I don't think ovi map for n900 will be available any time soon, so if sygic working well, i will gladly pay the fee. Ovi maps sux as it is right now. hope sygic is good.

Originally Posted by russo_br View Post
Just received a post from mafiatounes on Nokia Discussion with some good news, let's hope it is true indeed:

"Ovi Maps will initially only be supported by 10 smartphones. If you’re a Nokia N900 user, which runs Maemo 5 rather than Symbian, thankfully support is on its way. Read on to find out more…"
Don't be surprised if support for Maemo means support for Maemo6

Originally Posted by russo_br View Post

I guess that is your site then? So you could have posted the point - and not wasted our time. Next time just write it is your site...