Active Topics

The sad thing is, if there's really going to be that one MeeGo device announced in 2011, I am probably going to consider buying it. Knowing in advance it will have no company support, no future, no upgrade path.

It'll be a community phone, Nokias step child, but it might be the only phone on the peak hour of a most powerful platform.

The N900 is unique, like the Openmoko was. If there ever is going to be a MeeGo product, that might be yet another dying star in that night sky.

And who knows, a generation after that, Nokia might make desktop Windows 8 phones, as opposed to Zune phones.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to volt For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by gmuslera View Post
Your definition of fully functional could be very different from the definition of a lot of people here, is like calling light the moonlight when we all have been seen the sunlight already. You think would be anything similar in WP7 of what happened i.e. around kernel power or fcam, to put 2 easy examples?
The problem with the Maemo OS was simply the lack of team effort and more like a hobbyist get together, certainly nothing that would gain success, so the idea as such of a perfect OS ... can that really exsist? My bet is it will certainly gain momentum IF it gets going with the Gates stable behind it !!.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by abill_uk View Post
Well buchanmilne the problem is we are obviously stuck with what Nokia decide to do and as it now has a ex Bill Gates wiz kid at its helm you can only expect by reading in between the lines as to the area he will take Nokia.

It is of no use quoting anything right now but my bet is we will see a new generation OS from the Windows stable that will have huge development going for it and as Nokia are in trouble i would think from a bussiness strategic point of view the teaming of 2 of the worlds giants can only mean one thing... a Windows OS of the future and personally i am all with it IF it gets the development going for a much improved Windows Mobile platform, just look at the interest on this very thread... should that not tell us something?.

Originally Posted by wizbowes View Post
I guess it depends if you're here as a Nokia fanboy or as a Meego/Maemo/Linux fanboy. You're clearly in the former, most people here are the latter. Why would anybody hear give a s**t what happens to Nokia and WP7? They've given their time and effort trying to help the platform and have been stabbed in the back IMHO.

If you want to blow smoke up Nokia and the WP7 tie up this perhaps is not the best place to do it.

(BTW I'm a Windows on the desktop man myself and like MS - but have less than no interest in WP7)
Actually abill_uk has a point. If this is a genuine partnership between Nokia and Microsoft then some intersting things might develop from it.

Even if the partnership is successful I still won't buy a Windows Phone device or even a Nokia device (regardless of os). I've been spoiled by the relatively open nature of the N900.

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
Originally Posted by wizbowes View Post
I guess it depends if you're here as a Nokia fanboy or as a Meego/Maemo/Linux fanboy. You're clearly in the former, most people here are the latter. Why would anybody hear give a s**t what happens to Nokia and WP7? They've given their time and effort trying to help the platform and have been stabbed in the back IMHO.

If you want to blow smoke up Nokia and the WP7 tie up this perhaps is not the best place to do it.

(BTW I'm a Windows on the desktop man myself and like MS - but have less than no interest in WP7)
I am with you as i am also a windows man and as for Nokia all i can tell you is NO i am not a Nokia fanboy far from it but i AM an N900 owner and as it has the potential of just about anything OS wise i look to the future that will be viable unlike the Maemo and Meego was supposed to be, remember Windows has been with us for a long time now so i would obviously go with a future that can exsist , not one that is brought out and ditched for whatever reasons.

Thats the moment where all developers of meego and maemo should center their aktivitys to develop nitdroid!!! Give nokia a kick in their a**

Posts: 539 | Thanked: 518 times | Joined on May 2010 @ nanaurbusiness
I wish all penguins unite and create an open nokio

The Following User Says Thank You to J4ZZ For This Useful Post:
Posts: 36 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Slovakia
HP should thank NOKIA for this step.
Palm is my next point of interest.
SInce I had the chance to try some Palm apps on n900, I think HP means it seriously and want to cooperate with big commercial app. developers. Is WebOS at least so open OS like maemo? AFAIK it is using the regular linux and Xserver - so development of gtk/qt apps should be possible.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Deafboy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,397 | Thanked: 2,126 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Dublin, Ireland
Originally Posted by Deafboy View Post
HP should thank NOKIA for this step.
Palm is my next point of interest.
SInce I had the chance to try some Palm apps on n900, I think HP means it seriously and want to cooperate with big commercial app. developers. Is WebOS at least so open OS like maemo? AFAIK it is using the regular linux and Xserver - so development of gtk/qt apps should be possible.
Indeed these are very good news for HP.

The Following User Says Thank You to ivgalvez For This Useful Post:
Posts: 270 | Thanked: 610 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Leipzig/Germany
I have to agree, I'm seriously looking at HP/Palm now. Nokia is definitly dead in my eyes. I won't be getting another Nokia anymore. I hope my N900 will last for a while, and If it's time to get something new it will be something with WebOS, if no better competitor appears out of nowhere (which is unlikely)

http://www.seiichiro0185.org

The only reason Nokia is partnering with Microsoft is because of Elop, who is a Microsoft guy.

Nobody else in their right mind would join with Microsoft on smartphones now, because Windows on smartphone usage is dropping like a stone over a black hole. As far as I can tell people can't leave it fast enough - all those former HTC/Windows users are now HTC/Android users, or want to be.

Bad move by Nokia. Elop is guilty of this, but what could you expect when you hired him, Nokia? Stockholders will suffer.

Tags
elop ur a pain, meego sucks