Posts: 155 | Thanked: 92 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Jordan
Hi I've searched the web but without much luck as I'm a kind of learning linux but this has become my pet project ..been hunting for some time to find the background image for personal ip address as want to change it to a clear one and I've search nearly every darn file trying to find the image but today I got alittle closer when I found this file personal-ip-address.so but I can't read it all the way as towards the bottom of the file it says default background image is there away to read the file on a widows cpu.. or if someone smarter than me could point me in the direction with QB to get it to do the same thing as personal ip address..tia
Attached Files
File Type: zip personal-ip-address.zip (8.5 KB, 146 views)

Posts: 187 | Thanked: 28 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Southampton, UK
Hi

A .so file is a compiled bit of C/C++ code which forms a library. There is no way to realistically read it and it is unlikely to contain the background image.

Sorry for the lack of help.

Peter

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterjb31 For This Useful Post:
You can however check the .so file for interesting paths used by the code.
Simply run 'strings personal-ip-address.so' and look for interesting stuff.

I just did, and found this:
/usr/share/icons/hicolor/64x64/hildon/personal-ip-address.png
So I would start by looking for that file on your N900 and see if that's the one you want to change. If yes, then just change that file and it will be used by the application.

Edit: But the canonical way of finding files included in an application is simply to use 'dpkg' (the Debian package tool). Like so, from an xterminal:
Code:
dpkg -L personal-ip-address
You'll get a nice list of files, including that previously mentioned .png icon file.

Last edited by TA-t3; 2011-03-02 at 12:55.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,751 | Thanked: 844 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Sweden
If you want to look for files on the n900 (and linux). You could also use the find command. Root access is needed for the root system.

Code:
sudo find / -name "personal-ip*png"
sudo = as it will look in the root system
/ = where. you could also specify it more.. like /usr/share/
* = wild card. In the example it will look for everything that starts with "personal-ip" and ends with "png".

Make your desktop look awesome - use the AwOken Theme with the AwOken Icon Theme.

Add me on twitter @almehdin
Visit the swedish maemo/meego community forums

The Following User Says Thank You to AlMehdi For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the answers.. the png in the icon folder is for when using personal ip address in non-compact mode.. was able to few some of the file with word pad..so I need to find the "DefaultBackgroundColor" that is mention in the file...the hunt continues...lol

Posts: 1,637 | Thanked: 4,424 times | Joined on Apr 2009 @ Germany
The DefaultBackgroundColor is the system defined color from the current theme.
But this won't help you. As the alpha value is hardcoded in the source code.
The source code for this widget is available (http://maemo.org/packages/view/personal-ip-address/).
Just change the program yourself or ask a developer if he can make a
customized version of this widget.

Nicolai

The Following User Says Thank You to nicolai For This Useful Post:
@ nicolai ,, well coding is way over my head but I did as you suggested and sent a note to the developer..thanks for the idea..

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Originally Posted by AlMehdi View Post
If you want to look for files on the n900 (and linux). You could also use the find command. Root access is needed for the root system.

Code:
sudo find / -name "personal-ip*png"
sudo = as it will look in the root system
/ = where. you could also specify it more.. like /usr/share/
* = wild card. In the example it will look for everything that starts with "personal-ip" and ends with "png".
You shouldn't need sudo or root access if you are just looking for filenames, or even to read the contents of most files, at least not on Maemo.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post: