Notices

Modest is very slow. Opening the list of received files takes almost half a minut, opening a message even longer (over one minute). Does anyone experience this as well?

I am using modest with Gmail that has over 8GB worth of e-mail. I am not sure if that matters, is there a way to tell modest to track only the last 1000 messages or something?

I am using sync with Google calendar ( http://wiki.maemo.org/Sync#Synchronising_with_Google ) - could this be a problem? AFAIK these are separate programs.

Any other ideas? Can I wipe all mail on N900 and start over? I hope this does not wipe e-mail on Gmail server either?

Posts: 3,811 | Thanked: 1,151 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ East Lansing, MI
8 Gigs of emails? Dear Lord.

Maybe you could create another email account and have your current email forward any new messages to the new one.

Originally Posted by Addison View Post
8 Gigs of emails? Dear Lord.

Maybe you could create another email account and have your current email forward any new messages to the new one.
Well, I am a happy Gmail user since 2006 or so. Hm, that would work but I do want to send my mayl as from my normal gmail account.
What puzzles me though that I remember that the mail used to be faster (never fast, but not painfully slow).

I once had 8,000 emails and decided to delete them all.

It took Modest a few hours to do this, but afterwards, it was quite liberating.

Have you tried changing the message size limit?

Ok, just checked, I use 1.5GB only, but still in modest you're getting only latest 250 messages, so 8GB is not the issue here (check the menu once you click Inbox at the top: Show more (250/xxx) is an option, so you could have 8TB, unless attachments are all loaded). Try with different account? If issue persists something you installed is at fault, if other email works fine make a local copy of the attachment ones and remove them from serv.

The Following User Says Thank You to szopin For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by szopin View Post
Ok, just checked, I use 1.5GB only, but still in modest you're getting only latest 250 messages, so 8GB is not the issue here (check the menu once you click Inbox at the top: Show more (250/xxx) is an option, so you could have 8TB, unless attachments are all loaded). Try with different account? If issue persists something you installed is at fault, if other email works fine make a local copy of the attachment ones and remove them from serv.
I was using this: http://mat.exon.name/modest/ (offline support) - but deleting my account and enabling it again without this option does not seem to speed things up:-/.

BTW: I am using modest from the CSSU Stable, but I guess I am no alone.

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 97 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ United States
You should be able to delete the respective directory within ~/.modest/cache/mail/imap/ and restart modest to clear the cache. I'm pretty sure the offline IMAP patches are in CSSU, so I wouldn't install the packages from mat.exon.name

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by sup View Post
I was using this: http://mat.exon.name/modest/ (offline support) - but deleting my account and enabling it again without this option does not seem to speed things up:-/.
ACK!!! Be very careful -- that "offline support" feature has no mechanism to deal with large volumes of e-mail; it will happily download every message you've got until it's filled up all the space in your N900 (I forget which partition it is using, but it's bad news regardless).

There's more info about this in the offline IMAP thread:

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=55771

I personally think this patch needed a lot more work done on it before being included into the CSSU...

Copernicus: hm, that is worrying but it still does not explain why it is so slow.

Anyway, I treid forwarding my mail to a new address and modest is reasonaly fast with a account with 40 mails or so. It has the disadvantage that all mails are unread - even those I read on my computer, which is almost all of them.

I am using the online interface of gmail, opera handles it just fine (and it is much faster), but it would still be nice to have offilne messages and working fat client on N900. Anyway, I do not suppose anyone is working on this so I will stick with the web interface for the time being.