Active Topics

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by ohwut View Post
Because MeeGo is based on Qt, allowing the apps to be easily back ported to Maemo 5 w/ Qt. Does that benifit the N900.....yes. Does it say it will run on the N900. No.
But in the world of reality - even IF that would be possible - who will at the end of 2010, and beyond, backport applications to the N900 when the N9xx is already out - or about to come out?

Answer: The same amount of development effort that is currently spent on any other Nokia legacy device.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The Following User Says Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7lHPX_iHKs

new maemo apps (love the rollercoaster)

Last edited by zfarooq; 2010-02-16 at 04:18.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Reading 25 pages of this thread, I've seen a number of posts on the *political* advantages of this combination of *corporations* -- but I can't recall any posts describing what Moblin itself brings to the party. What does Moblin do better than Maemo? How is this technical hybrid better than if Intel had simply dropped Moblin and agreed to adopt Maemo, work on it with Nokia, and do the Linux Foundation thing?

(That is, how is it better apart from adding x86 support?)

Last edited by GeraldKo; 2010-02-16 at 04:27.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
That's not what I mean at all. I'm simply talking about the organization.
I don't see that happening either. Talk.maemo.org is horrendously structured and as we've seen that's not going to change this side of hell-freezing-over.

I can't think of anything on maemo.org that would have value for a MeeGo venture.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Posts: 5,478 | Thanked: 5,222 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ St. Petersburg, FL
Originally Posted by GeraldKo View Post
Reading 25 pages of this thread, I've seen a number of posts on the *political* advantages of this combination of *corporations* -- but I can't recall any posts describing what Moblin itself brings to the party. What does Moblin do better than Maemo? How is this technical hybrid better than if Intel had simply dropped Moblin and agreed to adopt Maemo, work on it with Nokia, and do the Linux Foundation thing?
Saner base platform. Maemo has diverged so far off into left field from Debian that it's basically become its own platform. Moblin brings back to having an upstream (MeeGo) that's up-to-date and sane.

Plus ConMan and such.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to GeneralAntilles For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GeneralAntilles View Post
Saner base platform. Maemo has diverged so far off into left field from Debian that it's basically become its own platform. Moblin brings back to having an upstream (MeeGo) that's up-to-date and sane.

Plus ConMan and such.
Would you mind to expand? I am not doubting you, just want to learn more.

Vínculos interesantes si nos visitas por primera vez (en inglés): New members say hello , New users start here, Community subforum, Beginners' wiki page, Maemo5 101, Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Si te puedo ayudar con cualquier otra cosa, sólo dilo!

Posts: 1,885 | Thanked: 2,008 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ OVI MAPS
Originally Posted by technician4 View Post
check out the video in the second link, 1:31. the 'N900' that was there up to that point becomes 'N00'.
all that means is they have multiple devices with different demos installed which is the norm
N00 usually means it a internal device or pre-production

The Following User Says Thank You to NvyUs For This Useful Post:
Posts: 487 | Thanked: 152 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by zfarooq View Post
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7lHPX_iHKs

new maemo apps (love the rollercoaster)
Same here!

does that mean they fixed the payement issue in the ovi store?

Applications I've made:
- Vuvuzela
- LTM: London Tube Map

Originally Posted by El Amir View Post
Same here!

does that mean they fixed the payement issue in the ovi store?
In the vid he said that its almost solved and 'its coming soon'

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
That's a really good question, and along the same lines, does maemo.org even need to go away?
Of course not. And quite contrary to the concept of community if you ask me. Utilizing governance principles, I would add that you carefully consider whether any particular Council even has the authority to dissolve the organization.

Can't we plug into MeeGo as a support function?
Yes, the same way we support Maemo and maemo.com, maybe? But maybe we should make that decision by way of referendum?

Tags
let maemo live!, maemo vs. moblin war, rpm vs. deb war