Nope tried to flash it using the flasher3.5 thingy, and i could put it into flash mode but nothing ever happened. I'm not very familiar with DOS so it was pretty difficult for me to do. I did it according to the instructions, but they were pretty vague for someone who doesn't do this stuff constantly. I even tweeted at NokiaUSA and they completely ignored me. So they've blown me off by phone, email and web! WOW! I'll never buy another Nokia item again, their customer support has been horrid! To be honest I think the only way I am going to be able to do this is if someone can walk me through it.

Last edited by Serafin; 2011-09-01 at 00:35.

The Following User Says Thank You to Serafin For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by Serafin View Post
Nope tried to flash it using the flasher3.5 thingy, and i could put it into flash mode but nothing ever happened. I'm not very familiar with DOS so it was pretty difficult for me to do. I did it according to the instructions, but they were pretty vague for someone who doesn't do this stuff constantly. I even tweeted at NokiaUSA and they completely ignored me. So they've blown me off by phone, email and web! WOW! I'll never buy another Nokia item again, their customer support has been horrid! To be honest I think the only way I am going to be able to do this is if someone can walk me through it.
As someone who's had to deal with them a few times for several Nokia products and CONSISTENTLY frustrated and insulted by them EVERY TIME, I can wholeheartedly empathize. (Hence my big sarcastic flowery speech about how you're in for a treat with their WORLD CLASS support.)

Anyway... I'm not entirely familiar with doing all this in Windows. Do you have access to a computer running Linux? I find that there are NO USB or driver issues if you're doing it from Linux (I believe there's some if you use Windows). At the worst, you could install Linux inside your Windows computer (http://www.ubuntu.com/download/ubuntu/windows-installer).

Let me know if you do, otherwise I have to again rely on someone else to help figure out why Windows can't do this for you.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Actually... I didn't even ask--did you run into an error when you tried? ...or did it just sit there without doing anything?
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
No idea about N800 (never had one), but according to:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Updating_the_t...re#N800.2FN810

for N800 you need the "software update wizard", which you can download from here:

http://europe.nokia.com/support/prod...oftware-update

Good luck, and please report success/failure (if latter, please with details).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 154 | Thanked: 73 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Toronto
Serafin, it is worthwhile to persist with your attempts at reflashing the software. According to Ima (one of the most knowledgeable members of the forum), you will be able to boot your N800 after reflashing, although the lock code will not be reset. (See http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=589207&postcount=4) You will have to be careful not to lock the device again accidentally before you find the lock code. Instructions for finding it are later in this post.

You do not have to use DOS commands if you follow Reinob's advice and use the Nokia Internet Tablet Software Update Wizard. Click on the second link in his post, and then scroll to the bottom of the europe.nokia.com page, where you will find a link for downloading the Wizard. (DeBernardis gives a link to the Italian version of the same page. Il link rilevante "Scarica" si trova al fondo della detta pagina.)

Furthermore, once I get to http://tablets-dev.nokia.com/nokia_N800.php this page, I don't know which software to download to flash it.
Any of them will work. If you want to use your N800 without many further modifications, your best choice is the last but one, i.e. RX-34_DIABLO_4.2008.36-5_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin .
You can always change to the last version at a later time, if you decide that it will be better for you.

HOW TO FIND THE LOCK CODE

Once your N800 has booted and you have connected to the internet, install an application called "rootsh". (If you need help to do this, just ask.)

There is an application called "X Terminal" among the built-in "Utilities". Open it and type the following line:
Code:
rootsh grep -A 13 lock_code /dev/mtd1 | tail -1
(You can find the "|" symbol among the upper-case items of the onscreen keyboard.)

Press the "line return" symbol (sometimes called the "enter" symbol).

The lock code will appear on the next line. Most probably it was set by a previous owner, before you bought the N800 on eBay. I have had that difficulty myself.

Last edited by scaler; 2011-09-01 at 19:57.

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to scaler For This Useful Post:
Scaler deserves huge karma points.

The Following User Says Thank You to danramos For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
Actually... I didn't even ask--did you run into an error when you tried? ...or did it just sit there without doing anything?
It sat there without doing anything at all! Like, it reset to the NOKIA screen, and it gave me the little indicator that it was flashing, but then nothing happened after that. (Sorry, I've been hyperbusy with school lately, but I've got some spare time to tinker with this now.)

Originally Posted by scaler View Post
Serafin, it is worthwhile to persist with your attempts at reflashing the software. According to Ima (one of the most knowledgeable members of the forum), you will be able to boot your N800 after reflashing, although the lock code will not be reset. (See http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=589207&postcount=4) You will have to be careful not to lock the device again accidentally before you find the lock code. Instructions for finding it are later in this post.

You do not have to use DOS commands if you follow Reinob's advice and use the Nokia Internet Tablet Software Update Wizard. Click on the second link in his post, and then scroll to the bottom of the europe.nokia.com page, where you will find a link for downloading the Wizard. (DeBernardis gives a link to the Italian version of the same page. Il link rilevante "Scarica" si trova al fondo della detta pagina.)

Any of them will work. If you want to use your N800 without many further modifications, your best choice is the last but one, i.e. RX-34_DIABLO_4.2008.36-5_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin .
You can always change to the last version at a later time, if you decide that it will be better for you.

Once your N800 has booted and you have connected to the internet, install an application called "rootsh". (If you need help to do this, just ask.)

There is an application called "X Terminal" among the built-in "Utilities". Open it and type the following line:
Code:
(You can find the "|" symbol among the upper-case items of the onscreen keyboard.)

The lock code will appear on the next line. Most probably it was set by a previous owner, before you bought the N800 on eBay. I have had that difficulty myself.
WOW! I will look into this right now. Thank you!

AWESOME ADVICE! Thank you so much. Ran into a slight issue though.

Originally Posted by scaler View Post

Code:

Ok I got to where the lock code should appear on the next line, and it says :

"grep: /dev/mdtl: No such file or directory"

what??? why would it ask me for one upon startup then? ARGH

Last edited by Serafin; 2011-09-18 at 01:10.

AWESOME ADVICE! Thank you so much. Ran into a slight issue though.

Ok I got to where the lock code should appear on the next line, and it says :

"grep: /dev/mdtl: No such file or directory"

what??? why would it ask me for one upon startup then? ARGH
That should be a number 1, not a letter l. Try again.

(Just to be sure you see it right...
rootsh grep -A 13 (numbers one and three, to make thirteen) lock_code /dev/mtd1 (letters m, t and d and the number one) | (pipe symbol, a straight line) tail -1 (the number one)

Here it is without notes:

Last edited by danramos; 2011-09-18 at 01:20.

Tags
buysomethinelse, nokia support