Active Topics

Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Right now, there are 4 valid candidates so if I accepted there would be 5 candidates and no vote. I think it would be best if Arie or Nieldk linked their tmo account to their maemo.org account so they would meet the karma criterion and then we can have a vote.
if that's any help, i could put my candidacy up as well, so there would be 6 candidates & i suspect an awful lot of ppl very motivated to vote (for anyone but me )?

The Following User Says Thank You to misterc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by danramos View Post
We're at the point where it's clearly true that you might as well go onto more open hardware ANYWHERE else with a new non-Maemo but Linux-based OS. Possibly something more Debian-like than Maemo was allowed to be.
True. Yet, I still prefer to do it with "Maemo" people for gals and guys that have successfully hacked half-undocumented half-closed system to current point of usability, creating a usable stack for fully open system would be a piece of cake, yep?

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,455 | Thanked: 3,309 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Rochester, NY
Originally Posted by qwazix View Post
Qgil stated clearly that any more code will not be opened.
While it would be great to get more code, I also think that route is going to prove futile in the long run. Not to say it's not something to keep in the file, but it's more like plan K now, vs plan A/B. The larger push right now is to make sure licenses are aligned so that, should Nokia become the next Megaupload, the builder and tools needed for the community to continue can be shared freely.

As has been pointed out already, if Nokia implodes that badly, then licenses won't be an issue, since there will be no lawyers to go after people breaking said licenses. The bigger worry is they become like Kodak, and it gets piece-mealed into something else that does still have lawyers. That avenue is being probed/explored right now by Council (and a few non-council that are helping out).

While I agree that people running for Council should make their POV clear on this, I think the appropriate place would be to add a question about it to the wiki page (there is already one that's close to it, btw), and ask that people check/update their answers and statements there.

Also, some people that have not answered (or even accepted their nomination yet...) are already quite active in efforts to move things forward for the community. Doing things like exploring setting up an OBS that would be easier to move/migrate with existing or developing OBS with other groups. They may be doing important things like that instead of following this thread, which for a while now has gone way off topic.

Last edited by woody14619; 2012-04-23 at 20:53.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
Right now, there are 4 valid candidates so if I accepted there would be 5 candidates and no vote. I think it would be best if Arie or Nieldk linked their tmo account to their maemo.org account so they would meet the karma criterion and then we can have a vote.
I don't see why your accepting nomination should hinge on having 6 candidates. If everyone did that, there would be 0 current candidates. We need all the active and involved people we can get. Plus it would be really nice to have at least one council member overlap into the next term, if for no other reason than to provide an historic perspective on what's happened in the last term or so.

Originally Posted by Andre Klapper View Post
I wonder how often karma is updated. Arie linked his talk account yesterday but it's not reflected yet.
I took nearly 5 days for mine to update once I linked it. There may be a way to speed that up. I'm sure it's just a cron job running somewhere that could be triggered early if need be. We should also be able to look at their user stats and from a quick bit of back-of-envelope math see if they're in the ballpark. The only way it would matter is if they were close, but not clearly in. If they have several hundred posts and thanks, good odds that's enough points on it's own to qualify.

Edit: Just ran Aries's numbers... and they're REALLY close. Nieldk is probably significantly under, but should link the account anyway in case my calculations are wrong.

Last edited by woody14619; 2012-04-23 at 21:06.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by woody14619 View Post
Edit: Just ran Aries's numbers... and they're REALLY close. Nieldk is probably significantly under, but should link the account anyway in case my calculations are wrong.
Both look over the threshold (100) to me. The formula is sqrt(posts)+8*sqrt(thanks). The two prospective candidates' post/thanks counts are 674/404 and 179/162 currently, making their t.m.o. karma components 186 and 115 respectively (rounded down).

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
For some reason I missed the 8 multiplier on thanks. (I thought it was two for some reason; thus my miscalculation.)

As they've already accepted, when the recompute happens we will have 6 candidates running, or 7 if SD69 accepts, which I hope he does. That means we will need to hold an election.

The Following User Says Thank You to woody14619 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,539 | Thanked: 1,604 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ With my N9
For some reason I missed the 8 multiplier on thanks. (I thought it was two for some reason; thus my miscalculation.)

As they've already accepted, when the recompute happens we will have 6 candidates running, or 7 if SD69 accepts, which I hope he does. That means we will need to hold an election.
I am the only heavy Harmattan user that is a council candidate, we need a voice in the council.

Filled out my responses to community posed questions:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_Coun...e_declarations

@everythingn9

Temporary Inception Fix

Times Banned from TMO: 4

Last edited by Arie; 2012-04-24 at 19:26.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Arie For This Useful Post:
i came to realize why Estel thinks i'm UK_Bill...
i'm rambling all the time about how NOKIA is the only chance for Maemo.
the only problem i see with that is that Estel with his secession ideas will bring infinitely more harm to Maemo then UK_Bill ever could have with his endless posting about USB port & all

will have to wait for the outcome of the election, i guess.
even so, should the secessionist win, the community may lose some of its members, but NOKIA will most likely continue Maemo.org, for the sake of supporting devices if nothing else.

glad ppl like Woody and Arie stepped up for a more conciliating approach.

let's hope for the best and plan for the worst

Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by misterc View Post
i came to realize why Estel thinks i'm UK_Bill...
i'm rambling all the time about how NOKIA is the only chance for Maemo.
the only problem i see with that is that Estel with his secession ideas will bring infinitely more harm to Maemo then UK_Bill ever could have with his endless posting about USB port & all

will have to wait for the outcome of the election, i guess.
even so, should the secessionist win, the community may lose some of its members, but NOKIA will most likely continue Maemo.org, for the sake of supporting devices if nothing else.

glad ppl like Woody and Arie stepped up for a more conciliating approach.

let's hope for the best and plan for the worst
So far, I haven't seen you rant about the mis-use of the title 'sir'.. so I never suspected it.
Nokia's slogan shouldn't be the pedo-palmgrabbing image with the slogan, "Connecting People"... It should be one hand open pleadingly with another hand giving the middle finger and the more apt slogan, "Potential Unrealized." --DR

Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
I don't see why your accepting nomination should hinge on having 6 candidates. If everyone did that, there would be 0 current candidates. We need all the active and involved people we can get. Plus it would be really nice to have at least one council member overlap into the next term, if for no other reason than to provide an historic perspective on what's happened in the last term or so.

A few people criticized some of my efforts and pointed out that there was no vote either time I became a council member. I know, silly, but there it is and I appreciate those who support(ed) my efforts. Getting consensus in maemo is hard enough as it is so I'd like to be free of that particular thing.

Of course, the things you mention are more important. I'll accept my nomination with thanks and post a formal statement on the wiki page in a few days.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:

Tags
council, election, incommunicado, winding down