Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Nighty View Post
Nokia gave me a Lumia 800 for free. My work colleagues asked me about the new phone thinking it was good. They asked for my honest opinion and I just think the phone is a pile of crap. I keep going back to my N9.

So yea, quite literally, I think that most people will never look at WP even if it is free.
I think your colleagues should try out a windows phone and get there own opinion. Why not give it to them since you dont like it iven if its free, And I hope people here do that before the decide that windows sucks. different people have different use cases. Form you on opinion is what the right way

Last edited by Dave999; 2012-06-16 at 15:13.

Posts: 121 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ India
Instead if investing money in developing meltimi project , if nokia would have used the same money to develop meego it would have been a hit and would have outsold lumia , iphone , s3 , note ,etc. Nokia = Dumb (after Elop entered nokia) , Before Elop Nokia = Inovations

Posts: 455 | Thanked: 782 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by jinnn_1989 View Post
Nokia = Dumb (after Elop entered nokia) , Before Elop Nokia = Inovations
Nokia was dumb much before Elop took the wheel. After Elop they are not just dumb, but plainly suicidal.

Posts: 24 | Thanked: 42 times | Joined on Mar 2012 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Joseph9560 View Post
Sorry to hear that.

How many individuals are supposed to have full source code of maemo or meego or meltemi?

Legally speaking if source codes of any of the os (the part that's already not open) were leaking by employee X then when what is the worst lawsuite result for employee X?
Talking about only a handful have more or less up to date source in full format. I can guarantee you that this was really not expected to happen. I am also very sure that if we would have had at least a small glimpse of what was going to happen and the servers open, then everyone would have dumped whatever was available at that given moment.

But to answer the last question, it's not technically doable for mr XY to leak personally the code announcing it on a forum, for example. I see more a leak elsewhere on torrent e.g.
Lawsuits are unwanted as you can imagine the value of the code itself.

Anyways, I agree that it would be great to make use of all that code that has been developed in the last 3-4 years in Finland.

Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by sony123 View Post
I am not entirely familiar with system architecture, but I have been wondering... why didn't Nokia use Android core then port Qt and build the whole UI on top of it?

Imaging a Android core + Harmattan UI... would this be a possible direction for community to work on?
define "core". if you think of something like "all of Android plus qt plus harmattan ui", you'd still be trapped in android's licensing issues and the google-centric application ecosystem. Wouldn't make any sense, because if you don't mind these two you're better off with plain vanilla Android anyway.

Originally Posted by Chuck Norris View Post
I think your colleagues should try out a windows phone and get there own opinion. Why not give it to them since you dont like it iven if its free, And I hope people here do that before the decide that windows sucks. different people have different use cases. Form you on opinion is what the right way
People always need to form an opinion by themselves.

My colleagues did try out the phone, a few of them were about to renew their contracts. My phone was lent out to them but 3 of them decided that they did not like Windows Phone. They went the android route, One X, SGS2, SGS3. The consensus among them was that the tile system was essentially a poor man's widgets. No multitasking was also a killer (skype). All of them loved the speed of WP7.5's UI interaction.

There was another person that thought wtf, why do you have 2 phones which look exactly the same. He thought the swipe interface was awesome and actually ended up buying an N9 against my recommendation because I told him the ecosystem is dying/going to die soon.

Originally Posted by Dared View Post
....fat lady sings!

(by fat lady i mean Elop)
You mean 'fat head'
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

Originally Posted by patlak View Post
She has sung many a times so far. Nokia as we knew, is long gone.
and she sang 'ecosystem' 'ecosystem' 'ecosystem' 'ecosystem'!!!
Motorola M3688 → Ericsson R320 → Siemens S40 → Motorola V60c → Palm Treo 650 → Blackberry 9000 → Nokia N900 → HP Pre 3 → Nokia N900 → Nokia N9 → Nokia N900 → Nokia 808 → Blackberry Z10 → Blackberry Passport

Only dead fish swim with the stream.

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Can't say that I didn't see this coming. I just wonder what his (Elop) end game is...

Banned | Posts: 3,412 | Thanked: 1,043 times | Joined on Feb 2010
It is very clear that many people on here just do not understand enough and consistently blame Elop for the downfall of Nokia and the amount of threads and posts to this effect is huge !!!!.

The facts are and have been very clear for a long time now but many just don't read outside of this somewhat ill-informed community, for those who are blaming him for nokia's downfall need to go read the news and try at least to digest some of it.

Elop is there for one reason only and that is the winding down of Nokia and it is so clear that by the September 21, 2010 Nokia was already finished (parden the pun) as a company and Elop has never had anything to do with any failures within Nokia, in fact he has done his job so good he will go down in history and his methods of winding down such a prominent company that was will be used for years !.

Move on from Nokia and try something else instead of this ridiculous mad charade of trying to convince the world that Meamo Meego meltemi will carry on because it won't !! its a simple as that.

Time to get real on here !!!.

Tags
downward_spiral, fu_flop, memories