Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Sure, let's use some proprietary free solution when you can either buy good navigation software or use the (IMO) best Android navigation app that is completely open source, can download vector maps for offline use and works perfectly on Jolla...

Last edited by nodevel; 2014-09-08 at 19:00.

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by nodevel View Post
Sure, let's use some proprietary free solution
You lose any argument about "proprietary free solutions" the moment you use Android

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 2,808 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
You lose any argument about "proprietary free solutions" the moment you use Android
OT...

As much as I dislike Android, this is simply not true.

I have triple boot on my tablet (webOS, LuneOS, Android). Once in a while I boot into clean Android 4.4 AOSP. No Google Services installed, all apps coming from the F-Droid store that includes only FOSS applications. OsmAnd is one of those.

Tell me where is the proprietary part.

PS: Even if your argument was valid, it would be like equating a Windows machine with bunch of freeware apps to Linux machine with all FOSS apps and one binary NVIDIA blob.

Last edited by nodevel; 2014-09-08 at 20:01.

Posts: 702 | Thanked: 2,059 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ UK
Osmand is ok but I do wish someone would write a new UI for it and added a better voice nav engine.

The UI doesn't appear to have been designed by anyone that has used a phone sized screen while trying to navigate on it.

The Following User Says Thank You to aegis For This Useful Post: