Notices

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 29 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Open Source Capitol of the World
Thank you for your effort. This functionality has been missing for so long.

My first few attempts to add simple calendar events resulted in the app dying and the event not saved. I have learned that one cannot enter info in the description box without having saved the event first. And, text entry in the description box seems problematic as CR/LFs seemed to get entered on their own.

The Following User Says Thank You to PdxDoug For This Useful Post:
Posts: 58 | Thanked: 134 times | Joined on Dec 2012 @ Vilnius, Lithuania
Found a bug:

* In landscape mode: create new event, write some longer description and see dynamic wordwrap while typing. It uses less than half available space. Type 3 or 4 lines, close keyboard and rotate to portrait. Text correctly reformats. Now slide keyboard out and wordwrap fills whole textarea until you start typing.

* While doing above, I randomly get crashes. Can't get it to crash every time while doing same things..

* Also haven't seen it crash while launched from xterm, instead of dbus service from widget. But this might be coincidence.

qalendar 0.5.1-1

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iceskateclog For This Useful Post:
hi Iīm getting crashes all the time itīs getting very dificult to use the qalendar any idea.
Maybe Iīll try a previows version?
Thanks

The Following User Says Thank You to guilledoc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
Originally Posted by guilledoc View Post
hi Iīm getting crashes all the time itīs getting very dificult to use the qalendar any idea.
Run via terminal and provide debug information?

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sixwheeledbeast For This Useful Post:
when runed from xterm it doesnīt crash

-$ qalendar
Detected language: "es_MX"

Thats all what it show

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to guilledoc For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
when runed from xterm it doesnīt crash

-$ qalendar
Detected language: "es_MX"

Thats all what it show
Blame Sixwheeledbeast

As far as I can tell you followed these instructions: http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90942

Apps like the Worldclock and also Calendar need to register itself in a certain way, else they get terminated by the system in a while. Invoking qalendar like the default calendar service is not suitable for qalendar (yet). If you start qalendar from the menu (not via the calendar widget), you should experience no crashes.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Yep thats right so...
is there anything I can do to have a full use of this or only via the menu?

The Following User Says Thank You to guilledoc For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by skanky View Post
If I say, have a repeating event for the 25th of every month, but only on a Mon-Fri and if it falls on a weekend, then it should occur on the Friday before I can't see any way to implement that. If it's there then I've missed it, sorry
It is not possible to do with one rule, but the calendar engine can use multiple rules for one event. However, GUI for that is not implemented yet.

If you do not mind adding that event as 3 separate events, you can configure them in the following way:
  • frequency = monthly; day of week = Mon..Fri; day of month = 25;
  • frequency = monthly; day of week = Fri; day of month = 24;
  • frequency = monthly; day of week = Fri; day of month = 23;

Yep thats right so...
is there anything I can do to have a full use of this or only via the menu?
Only the menu.

I would have already started working on it, but I still do not know if Calendar is sitting in the background just to cut the startup time or if it actually does something useful. If there is no one around with this knowledge, I guess I will have to add an option to run Qalendar in replacement mode and wait for bug reports.

I have uploaded a small update (0.5.2). Hopefully I got the whole locale-related stuff right.
  • Locale is determined by device language instead of regional settings.
  • Use locale settings to choose day-month order for the partial date format.
  • Fixed a bug that prevented zero-length events from being displayed in the week view under some circumstances.
  • Fixed too narrow text wrapping boundary in description fields.
  • Corrected wrong form of month and weekday names.
  • New translations:
    • Finnish by jonkha,
    • Italian by Rakom,
    • Dutch by ade,
    • Polish,
    • Ukrainian by int_ua.

@ade, @Rakom: there was a small change in the translation file and to speed things up I updated your translations myself (other translations were not that obvious). The 3 new strings start with "Older than %n", in case you want to check if I failed miserably.

The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to gidzzz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,100 | Thanked: 2,797 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by gidzzz View Post
I would have already started working on it, but I still do not know if Calendar is sitting in the background just to cut the startup time or if it actually does something useful. If there is no one around with this knowledge, I guess I will have to add an option to run Qalendar in replacement mode and wait for bug reports.
To make it respond properly to dbus calls, look at:
http://developer.nokia.com/Community...application_UI
http://developer.nokia.com/Community...h_DBus_support

Nicolai pointed me to this when I was struggling with this.

Look at the code of osso_calculator replacement or worldclock replacement for some examples (that is basically Pali's code part).

I wonder if you really would like to have qalendar in the background most of the time. Qt programs usually eat about 9% of memory. Calender itself (gtk/maemo-invoker) uses way less then that.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to ade For This Useful Post:
Preventing Qalendar from being terminated on D-Bus activation timeout is as easy as registering a dummy service (one line of code). The real problem is that when the application is closed, the service is unregistered and the calendar is automatically restarted. I have no idea how to stop that.

Disabling the respawning can be the best solution because of simplicity (?) and resource usage, but as I have already mentioned a few times, I am afraid that there is some reason why Calendar is running in the background and mediaplayer or worldclock are not.

IIRC, even a hello world in Qt can take over 30 MB of memory, but the libraries are shared, so 2 Qt applications could take for example 35 MB total. But I guess that's still bad if Qt is not used in any of the startup applications.

Adding an option to run Qalendar in background would be only the first quick step, just to check if there are any problems after dumping the default calendar (stopping the respawning could serve that purpose as well, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is hardcoded somewhere). Later it could be replaced by some kind of non-Qt stub which would launch the real thing when required.

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to gidzzz For This Useful Post:

Tags
calendar, fremantle