Posts: 305 | Thanked: 154 times | Joined on Aug 2006 @ Colorado
Has anyone gotten the HP-iPaq Bluetooth keyboard to work under the OS2008 beta? I have tried both the built-in bluetooth keyboard system in the control panel AND the btkbd hack from fanoush.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
I have not included proper kernel module for new kernel into kbdd.tar.gz yet. Correct uinput.ko module is inside this archive http://fanoush.wz.cz/maemo/modules-r....6.21.0.tar.gz and you need to put it to kbdd directory and rename to uinput.ko.kernelversion where kernelversion can be found by running 'uname -r' on your OS2008-based device. It is something like 2.6.21-omap1.

I'll add it to kbdd archive ASAP, hopefully today.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Let me know if it worked, when thinking about this maybe there is a problem with rfcomm binary. I know pand for PAN bluetooth networking is missing in OS2008 so rfcomm command may be missing too. If this is the case btkbd script needs some serious D-BUS hackery similar to the pand one.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Thanks Fanoush,

When run ./btkbd scan I get "hcitool not found"

When I enter the address anyhow (I already know it) and run
./btkbd I get "sdptool not found"

I have found an 'sdp-query' that seems to be similar to sdptool. I'll try changing btkdb to use that and see if it works.

Hmm, maybe whole bluez-utils package is not installed or no longer includes those basic commands? I'll check it on my device when I get home.

bluez-utils is installed. It's possible (though unlikely) that I wrecked my bluez-utils install. sdp-query has a very similar function to sdptool ( see http://www.daemon-systems.org/man/sdpquery.1.html though that page is for sdpquery, not sdp-query.)

The built-in bluetooth system doesn't seem to know how to use the SPP profile as a keyboard. But it DOES know how to find the keyboard and pair with it as SPP. Perhaps there is a way to connect that system with uinput?

Originally Posted by BruceL View Post
bluez-utils is installed. It's possible (though unlikely) that I wrecked my bluez-utils install.
It is more likely that with OS2008 all those commands are no longer included and only D-BUS is used, see http://wiki.bluez.org/

if you try 'dpkg -L bluez-utils' is there anything in /usr/bin or /usr/sbin?

The Following User Says Thank You to fanoush For This Useful Post:
Nothing...
Here is what I get:

/home/user/MyDocs/kbdd # dpkg -L bluez-utils
/.
/usr
/usr/bin
/usr/sbin
/usr/sbin/hcid
/usr/share
/usr/share/doc
/usr/share/doc/bluez-utils
/usr/share/doc/bluez-utils/README
/usr/share/doc/bluez-utils/AUTHORS
/usr/share/doc/bluez-utils/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/bluez-utils/changelog.gz
/usr/lib
/usr/lib/bluetooth
/usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd-service-input
/usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd-service-serial
/usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd-service-audio
/usr/lib/bluetooth/bluetoothd-service-network
/usr/lib/alsa-lib
/usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_ctl_bluetooth.so
/usr/lib/alsa-lib/libasound_module_pcm_bluetooth.so
/etc
/etc/dbus-1
/etc/dbus-1/system.d
/etc/dbus-1/system.d/bluetooth.conf
/etc/default
/etc/default/bluez-utils
/etc/bluetooth
/etc/bluetooth/hcid.conf
/etc/bluetooth/input.service
/etc/bluetooth/audio.conf
/etc/bluetooth/audio.service
/etc/bluetooth/network.service
/etc/bluetooth/serial.service
/etc/init.d
/etc/init.d/bluez-utils
/home/user/MyDocs/kbdd #

I'll look into doing it with D-Bus.

Yes, that's what I feared, only hcid and all services moved to /usr/lib/bluetooth/

This will need to rewrite btkbd in python over D-BUS or do some nasty dbus-send scripting hackery. As python is a bit bloated and still not installed by default I'll try the latter. It will be similar to my recent PAN networking D-BUS experiment.

Fanoush,
I hope you have had more success than I have. One problem is that the uinput.ko.2.6.21-omap1 module cannot be installed; "Invalid module format (-1): Exec format error"

Also, the rcomm program is missing from os2008beta. I don't know how to replace all that functionality using DBus. Obiwan, you are our only hope!