Notices

Posts: 565 | Thanked: 618 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Upgraded, tested in all possible variants, voted for package promotion into extras... Working like a charm

the only thing that would be nice to correct at this point is package description - indication that it can be used also for disabling/enabling WLAN on both drivers - not only switching between them - may help other people discover it (i know that informations are in changelog, but still package description is most of the time "first contact" with package, and if outcome isn't good enough, it may be "last contact").

I know that uploading another version just for such small irrelevant thing may be irritating, but package isn't long in extras and still (except You as maintainer) I was only one voting, so i think it may be worth effort. Of course decision is always up to You.

/Estel
Uploaded 0.2.1-2 with correct description.
Wlan Driver Selector Applet - Switch easily between stock and bleeding edge drivers

The Following User Says Thank You to laasonen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 293 | Thanked: 372 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Westside
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Stock drivers loaded, wifi connected to AP, no activity (just connected doing nothing) - 75-100 mAh drain

Bleeding edge loaded, wifi connected to AP, no activity (just connected, doing nothing) - 140-160 mAh drain

Stock drivers loaded, wifi connected to AP, doing high traffic + high internal I/O task (measuring internet speed connection, using 25 Mb/1,5 Mb link) - 300-400 mAh drain

Bleeding edge drivers loaded, wifi connected to AP, doing high traffic + high internal I/O task (measuring internet speed connection, using 25 Mb/1,5 Mb link) - 300-400 mAh drain

When drivers loaded, but wifi NOT connected, both drivers also sucked same amount of power.

Thanks for doing this, confirms the seat-of-the-pants feeling I had earlier while using wlan driver selector. And thanks again laasonen, excellent work mate!

"The Cake Is A Lie"

The Following User Says Thank You to frostbyte For This Useful Post:
What actually is this mod ? What is doing ?

Originally Posted by Dragoss91 View Post
What actually is this mod ? What is doing ?
This is just simple applet for enabling bleeding edge wlan drivers. They have larger range and packet injection for example, but they drain the battery faster. You can find more information on their website.
Wlan Driver Selector Applet - Switch easily between stock and bleeding edge drivers

Last edited by laasonen; 2011-06-18 at 21:24.

Testing the new wifi on/off feature, using the stock or the bleeding edge drivers, I'm unable to connect to my wifi network: the wifi drivers are loaded, the connection dialog pop up, I select the SSID and then after 5 seconds, I'm notified of a connection error.

This was tested after having uninstalled wifi-switcher and rebooted the device. This is completely reproducible

Enabling and disabling wifi connection works perfectly with wifi switcher.

If that can help, the SSID is a hidden WPA2 protected network

Last edited by pierrem; 2011-06-18 at 21:27.

The Following User Says Thank You to pierrem For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by pierrem View Post
Testing the new wifi on/off feature, using the stock drivers, I'm unable to connect to my wifi network: the wifi drivers are loaded, the connection dialog pop up, I select the SSID and then after 5 seconds, I'm notified of a connection error.

This was tested after having uninstalled wifi-switcher and rebooted the device. This is completely reproducible

Enabling and disabling wifi connection works perfectly with wifi switcher.

If that can help, the SSID is a hidden WPA2 protected network
Does it work, if you close the dialog and open it again after couple seconds? I gave the connection manager one second to recover from the driver change. Maybe it is not enough for you :/ Do you have the customized osso-wlan package?

I'm also using hidden WPA2 protected network, without any issuses with new (or any old) version of selector applet.

Anyway, when connection dialog pops up, selector applet consider job done, and rest is for maemo connectivity parts, i.e. its most likely that it's not selector fault. Personally, i think that Your drivers may not be loaded properly (something stop the from loading like they should) - can You provide more debug info on this? Maybe it could be used to upgrade selector applet "detection" mechanism (i.e. when it should output "drivers loaded", and when kick off errors).

----

Version 0.2.1-2 installed and tested, of course no errors (having in mind that only thing changed was package description, no surprise here, huh? ) When it will make it's way into -testing, I'll happily vote.

// Edit

If by modified osso-wlan package You mean that one by lxp (bleeding edge drivers creator) I'm NOT using it ATM - may be worth to mention. As i said, for me everything is working fine.

Last edited by Estel; 2011-06-18 at 21:34.

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by laasonen View Post
Does it work, if you close the dialog and open it again after couple seconds? I gave the connection manager one second to recover from the driver change. Maybe it is not enough for you :/ Do you have the customized osso-wlan package?
no it does not work either
dpkg -l osso-wlan gives me version 3.0.20+0m5, so I guess it is the non customized package.
Do I have to install the customized one ? what does it change ?

Last edited by pierrem; 2011-06-18 at 22:12.

Originally Posted by pierrem View Post
no it does not work either
dpkg -l osso-wlan give me version 3.0.20+0m5, so I guess it is the non customized package.
Do I have to install the customized one ? what does it change ?
Osso-wlan in the repositories seem to have the same version number as the lxp's modified one. If you get the same output as I do from this, you have the modified one:
Code:
user ~ md5sum /usr/sbin/wlancond 
4b9057572d282f76072cff160d88cb1a  /usr/sbin/wlancond
user ~
This fixes a bug where WLAN gets stuck, when you are connected to an
access point and go out-of-range.

WARNING: Installing this will break seamless upgrades to new PR versions.
Most likely you will have to reinstall normal osso-wlan version
before you can do OTA upgrades.

You can also skip this step, but keep in mind that the above mentioned bug
can occur. If this bug is triggered you have 3 options:
manually unset ssid, unload and reload driver or reboot your phone.
I added the installation instructions to the first post.

Last edited by laasonen; 2011-06-18 at 22:11.

The Following User Says Thank You to laasonen For This Useful Post:
then I have the stock osso-wlan, but from what Estel wrote, it does not seem to be the problem
What kind of "debug info" would you need ?

Tags
announce, applet, bleeding edge, driver, monitor, not4noobs