Notices

I have a very strange problem with media player on my N810. In a nuthshell, whenever I play ANY file (avi, 3gp, whatever) either locally or streamed from my home MythTV box... it plays a 'green' version of the file. These are files that were working up to a few days ago!?

The only time the video appears 'normally' is if I move the window to the background somehow.

For example, if I load the film yesman.avi - it starts playing, but the image is distorted and green in colour. If I tap the brightness adjuster on the top bar, the video works fine in the 'background'. If I tap the media player window, it goes green again.

The video will stay fine for as long as the other menu is up and continue to play normally so long as the window is not in the foreground.

In fullscreen it does the same. It will be green and distorted, until I tap the 'home' key and bring up the overlay to select between windows... .and the film plays normally. Tap back to the media player window and it will be distorted again.

It even does it with popup menu's within media player. Like the pop up menu for to select either 'repeat' or 'random'. If I tap to show that menu... film works fine... if I tap to close... film distorts and becomes green.

Any ideas?

Many thanks

Dan

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMCC7pc-PEc

I have created a video, which hopefully shows the problem a little more clearly than my description.

Posts: 267 | Thanked: 50 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Montreal, Canada
I don't know what the issue is... but have ou tried mplayer?
I had a similar problem with mplayer (a bit different, but close enough) - but it occurred only when any menu was on top, so when I switched back to the video it worked well.

besides that - no clue.

And it is cheaper, lighter and less consuming than an x86 laptop!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
That started happening to me with my camera app. All I would get where the camera display should be was a green box. I found a workaround, but the only fix for it was to reflash my tablet.

The Following User Says Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Sounds like you just need to watch video with something on top ;-)

Also try Canola - at least to demonstrate if it is application dependant.

I've been doing some more testing. The problem is present in mplayer as well (although there is no way to get it to display properly by clicking outside the window). But Canola plays videos fine.

I don't really want to reflash before I at least understand what the problem is / was caused by. Qole - what was your workaround? Might help me in the right direction for a cause.

Many thanks

Dan

Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
Looks like blizzard video overlay is not working right (when something is displayed on top, Xv switches to a slower omap dispc overlay). Did you install any third-party kernels that might have broken it?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Serge For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Serge View Post
Looks like blizzard video overlay is not working right (when something is displayed on top, Xv switches to a slower omap dispc overlay). Did you install any third-party kernels that might have broken it?
No third party kernels, just the original. Strangely I haven't installed anything in the past few days since it was last working (including updates). The only app that I did install was Video Center a couple of weeks ago, but it has been working since I installed that.

I do have deblet installed, but that runs a separate kernel that I have to chroot into in order to use. With the Debian kernel 'closed' it shouldn't interfere, but again I have had that for a very long time!

Are there any config files for the blizzard video overlay that I can check and reset? I do have another n810 and an n800 so I am happy to be quite experimental to get a 'fix' rather than just a reflash!

Many thanks

Dan

Posts: 503 | Thanked: 267 times | Joined on Jul 2006 @ Helsinki
You can try to reflash kernel only. Take the latest official firmware and unpack it:
Code:
flasher -u -F RX-44_DIABLO_5.2008.43-7_PR_COMBINED_MR0_ARM.bin
You will get lots of files extracted. File zImage is the kernel. Then you can flash it to your device:
Code:
flasher -k zImage -f

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Serge For This Useful Post:
Thanks Serge, I will give it ago over the weekend and report back here as to how I get on.

Kind Regards

Dan