Notices

Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
Resize please!

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Another idea for Shepherd: make your NIT into a WiFi USB host for your N900 (posted here by request):

(Prerequisites: an ad-hoc wifi network set up between the N8x0 and the N900, and a USB OTG adapter for the N8x0)

When you plug a USB device into your N8x0, Shepherd will notice and can ask if you want to start the ad-hoc wifi network. Then, on the N900, when you connect to the ad-hoc network, Shepherd can ask if you want to mount the USB devices from the tablet on your N900 (via sshfs probably), and open the file manager for you.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ gbg.se
Could it perhaps be interesting to control the desktops based on time or location?

Eg. put all workrelated widgets, links etc on one desktop and have that one switched to when arriving at work. Get another desktop when at home, a third when on the bus in between..

Could save you up to two swipes each time.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nymajoak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 199 | Thanked: 144 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ gbg.se
Could current weather be a reason to trigger an application? I can't think of any other use-cases right now than maybe to trigger a change in wallpaper to one representing the weather, or a notification to bring the umbrella/remember the tanning lotion, but the idea seems somehow... exciting to me.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nymajoak For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
What if I knew I'd have 30 hours no adapter to charge device.
Would I then not allow certain features, or in general want the device to be a bastard for power, like not allowing LCD to be too bright? Or put LCD off quicker?

What if GPS or network provider is non-flatfree, roaming instead?
Would I then want to disable certain auto fetch stuff? Or enable caching proxy which compresses pictures instead? Lower SIP quality? These are examples for the point here is to have a 'mode' defined by the user which gives 'acceptable quality' but 'takes into account non-flatfree'.

And some things... I have no idea, how much data for example MySpace or Facebook IM extensions use because I don't know how they exactly work. If they don't use an API but use HTTP + HTML and then parse the JS then they're quite 'bloated' so to say.

So, I think, for research purposes, some kind of traffic accounting on user processes is very interesting (much like powertop, htop, iotop for other statistics)

Some interesting possibilities...

Would the following be possible?

1) Headset connected/disconnected
(I know the NIT can sense this as the icon on the FM-radio player (N800) changes when you connect a headset)
a) When headset inserted, set volume to X
b) When headset removed set volume to Y

2) Application dependent
IF incoming VoiP call, stop all other audio, set audio to X and switch to Skype in full-screen.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to slartibart For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
Originally Posted by slartibart View Post
Some interesting possibilities...

Would the following be possible?

1) Headset connected/disconnected
(I know the NIT can sense this as the icon on the FM-radio player (N800) changes when you connect a headset)
a) When headset inserted, set volume to X
b) When headset removed set volume to Y
sounds cool

2) Application dependent
IF incoming VoiP call, stop all other audio, set audio to X and switch to Skype in full-screen.
make sure the app you stop is NOT the phone app

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 60 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ Castello d'Argile (BO)
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
And since we're on an input frenzy... with a N900 we could also do:
- Light sensor
- Kickstand
- Proxymity sensor
In dmesg I see the slider is gpio 71 but nothing comes up for the kickstand and I am not surprised, considering there is no visible connection inside the case.

Posts: 270 | Thanked: 303 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Serbia, Belgrade
What about changing profiles if phone finds your home/work/school wireless connection?
This way if you come to for ex. work, it searches for wireless connection, finds out that you're on work and changes your profile to silent. When that wireless connection isn't present any more it switches your profile on the one you had before you went to work.
This can work too when you're leaving home and home connection isn't accessible.
It should have infinite modes that user can make.
Here are some ideas for other parameters:
- Time
All the parameters should be mixable. I think this could work for applications too. Sorry if this is too much off topic.

Posts: 31 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Edinburgh
I had a thought on another brainstorm about using bluetooth status for some actions. For example if the device is paired with my car headset and a friend texts I'd like it to send a message to them saying if it's urgent please give me a call, I can't look at messages right now. It could also set the presence status of any IM clients running to say I'm in the car/not available/whatever.

Also if I'm sitting near my laptop with it turned on I might want the phone to behave differently than if I'm watching my media PC (which has bluetooth).

Somone had mentioned locale too, from android, which has a really interesting plugin set up to allow you to do almost anything when certain location based conditions are active. The granularity of location info can be wifi/call tower/GPS or whatever. I can see a lot of stuff being useful off just cell tower info for me. The GPS is such a battery hog I'd be reluctant to use it for many things.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dtrouton For This Useful Post:

Tags
cron, power save, scheduling, shepherd