Notices

Originally Posted by jakoleh View Post
As I stated earlier, it tries to read it with phonebook access over AT "protocol". First with AT+CPBS command to select phonebook memory storage and then propably with AT+CPBR command. Only AT+CPBS command is shown in logs though.

This was found in other thread earlier http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...&postcount=155.
And the AT commands are implemented on Symbian phones through the Nokia 810 Contact Download application?

Posts: 4 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ London, UK
Sanderlo - that debug is virtually identical to what leviathan18, jakoleh and I have as the Audi/SEAT/Skoda Bluetooth units of that era are pretty much the same. There's no easy fix as these units don't support PBAP.

The N900 can deal with some of those AT commands. It gets my signal strength on the display, although it can't deal with the "3 UK" operator or "N900" name, giving me "No Network" and "No user connected" instead.

The 810 contacts download was a Symbian fix but isn't going to port easily to the N900.

Oddly enough, iPhone users with iOS4 are also having trouble with these VAG bluetooth units, although on other forums the users are blaming PBAP!

What I'm interested in is how some other VAG owners with 2009/2010 models have this working. The newer GSMII bluetooth units perhaps do have PBAP.

--------------

I can answer a couple of my own questions from earlier. While ps | grep obex only output the switches "--nodaemon --opp --ftp --pcsuite ", it was because it cannot output any more characters. If I temporarily take out the --nodaemon switch but include --irmc (either in the service file or after manually starting obexd), it frees up 11 characters and the ps command will output "--opp --ftp --pcsuite --pbap --ir".

I know I have PBAP working on the N900 as it now automatically syncs with my Kenwood DNX8220BT in the other car, and very quickly too. I did have both --pbap and --irmc switches on so I'm not sure which it is that's working in my case. Another trial needed before I update the wiki.

The Following User Says Thank You to James_H For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by James_H View Post
What I'm interested in is how some other VAG owners with 2009/2010 models have this working. The newer GSMII bluetooth units perhaps do have PBAP.
Apparently there are are many revisions of the RNS-E head unit and the corresponding bluetooth module (e.g. for the RNS-E head unit, I have version 74). There is also a MY 2010 version which looks the same, but is technically very different (higher resolution display, faster CPU etc). I queried audi.de and it looks like the required functionality is only available on the A4/S4/RS4 for units after 06/2009 (which is probably the MY 2010 unit). Same is probably true for the A3/S3, TT and R8 (which all use the RNS-E).

I guess I have to replace the head unit if I want to get this fixed for any Nokia phone that is not able to run the 810 Contact Downloader. Give the fact that this is more expensive (cost approx EUR 1500) than any decent smartphone on the market, it is not the most attractive option.

Seems silly that the AT commands are not supported, but if this is the way it will be with all new phones I will probably reconsider.

Originally Posted by jarmo2 View Post
Hi Lore!

My native language is Finnish so my address book is full with UTF-8 characters. They are transferred to BMW car kit without any problems.

Have you imported those problematic contacts from an other phone/computer? If a contact with special characters is created with N900 is it transferred correctly?
Jarmo, I have deleted all contacts from N900 (after a backup, naturally). I have keyed in new contacts using the N900 and with non-ASCII characters and voilą, my Toyota Prius MY 2010 car-kit imported all of them.

So then I restored my N900 from backup, exported all contacts to a directory, deleted all contacts and then imported the contacts from the saved directory.

Guess what: now all my contacts are imported!

I use memotoo.com to sync my N900 with my PC through syncevolution. After I sync my contacts my car-kit refuses to import them.

Does anybody know why?

Thank you all for your help!

Originally Posted by sanderlo View Post
<snip>
Seems silly that the AT commands are not supported, but if this is the way it will be with all new phones I will probably reconsider.
Phone book access via AT Commands is very limited. You can only get <Name>, <Number> pairs and I think the length of <Name> is limited, too. So if you have multiple phone numbers for a single contact you have to add a suffix to each name.

The Following User Says Thank You to hschmitt For This Useful Post:
Well it worked fine with the Nokia 810 contact downloader until my N95 broke down and I had to get a new phone. Also works fine with the Blackberry 9700. No need to add suffixes, the head unit appears to be able to handle multiple entries fine and apparently also receives the type of number (mobile, fax, work, etc) from the phone (this worked on both the N95 and the BB).

Posts: 597 | Thanked: 490 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Any of you genuis developers planning to publish an updated version (as hschmitt mentioned obex v0.30 is available...)?
Or maybe even someone cares about creating a .deb file to make this nice feature available for the average user?

Originally Posted by Reflektorfalke View Post
Any of you genuis developers planning to publish an updated version (as hschmitt mentioned obex v0.30 is available...)?
Or maybe even someone cares about creating a .deb file to make this nice feature available for the average user?
I could do a deb for obexd v 0.30, but I cannot include IRMC since as of now mirakels did not finish polishing for publishing.
Would it be useful?

The Following User Says Thank You to hschmitt For This Useful Post:
Posts: 597 | Thanked: 490 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Germany
Originally Posted by hschmitt View Post
I could do a deb for obexd v 0.30, but I cannot include IRMC since as of now mirakels did not finish polishing for publishing.
Would it be useful?
Well, sure, of course it would be useful to have a .deb file and get rid of the manual installation steps we have now! Especially for the less technical users by giving them an easy way to install - maybe even from extras!?

But, as I am no developer I have no idea how hard it would be to add IrMC later when mirakels finished his work...
Or why not even include the current state of mirakels IrMC? As far as I understand the only problem is that caller names are not shown, right? From my point of view a "half" working (but still usable) IrMC is better than nothing!?
Furthermore, it is not expected that .deb files in extras-devel are completely finished/polished, right?

Well, in short: You know better what makes more sense...waiting till everything is "perfect" or push it to extras and update it there...

Hello,

I have managed to get this to work with an Alpine CDE-103BT (which has an inbuilt parrot module, although I am not sure which one). Thank you very much, the install process is easy. One problem with it however is it displays the names "lastname-firstname" which is slightly irritating for me. I assumed that this would be an option on the stereo, but I have searched through all the menus and can't find any such option. Is there a way I can change this from the N900?

Thank you very much for all your work, this is a big improvement on how the N900 was shipped. I am eagerly awaiting support for outgoing/incoming/missed calls. Any idea when that might arrive?

Thank you!

kno3

The Following User Says Thank You to kno3 For This Useful Post:

Tags
bada rox, bluetooth, carkit, contacts, irmc sync, pbap profile