I don't understand the need for a pc for what is essentially a SIP ATA adapter. They make ones you can plug straight into your network, no?

Posts: 77 | Thanked: 41 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Charlotte, NC
I believe that an SIP adapter would be the ideal way to go. However, with MagicJack you get an entire year of unlimited US local and LD calling for $19.99. I have not been able to find a VOIP provider for that low an annual price.

yes, it is quite cheap, but inferior technologically if you ask me and I think there will be shananigans with the pricing and the 'unlimited' part. you don't have to look far online for loads of people disconnected for excessive use

If you ware worried about running a computer 24/7 and the power usage, just get something like a HP t5700 or t5720 thin client. It runs XPe so you can load on the MagicJack software. You can pick them up off e-bay for $50-$125 (depending on the model, Mem and flash capacity). The t5700 pulls something like 12 watts and the t5720 is only slightly more.

Meh. Setup your own Astrick PBX box and you're golden. No need to pay bills either. Just get yourself a phone number (I forget where you get them, but you can rent them through a couple different companies) and you're golden.

Originally Posted by PCPhoneSoft View Post
<removed by sjgadsby>
smells like spam

Last edited by sjgadsby; 2009-10-16 at 13:43. Reason: removing quoted spam post

whatever happened to this thread???
with regards to MagicJack

how do i add an entry (login form) in "VoIP and IM accounts"

im thinking of using the sipserver used in magicjack software thats installed in the pc. software but my problem is how to add the magicjack as a service so it would show up in the Account setup in our N900

Voip.ms + Linksys pap2 is much better imho. I replaced my home phone with it and very satisfied. The only problem with PAP2 is when I change mac address on the router to change external ip, it fails to register to voip server, but when I don't touch it, it works beautifully.
Oh and voip.ms let's you have sub accounts, so I can use n900 to make very cheap phone calls.

Posts: 315 | Thanked: 64 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Montreal, canada
I am using magic jack with googlevoice for months. I use the call back so gv call majick jack and majic call my n900. I do that with dial central and never pay long distance in usa & canada and never use air time on my cell as it is incoming call and they are free for my serv provider