Posts: 330 | Thanked: 97 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ saudi arabia
dunno what u talk about guys, but CuteTube lets me download 1080p youtube videos and play it Smoothly

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Originally Posted by lolloo View Post
dunno what u talk about guys, but CuteTube lets me download 1080p youtube videos and play it Smoothly
Please check again. CuteTube does not even allow you to download at 1080p afaik.
(Go to Settings - Media/Content to check the download quality)

The Following User Says Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
Please check again. CuteTube does not even allow you to download at 1080p afaik.
(Go to Settings - Media/Content to check the download quality)
1080p downloads are supported, though I doubt they will play on the device. Setting the download quality to 1080p does not guarantee that all downloaded videos will be 1080p, which I suspect has caused some confusion here.

There also seems to be a problem with some 480p YouTube videos in PR1.2. With some videos, the stock video player gives up midway through the video and displays the 'This type of video cannot be played on this device' message.

My website

GitHub

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
Oh. Thanks for that marxian. Last time I used it was on N900 and it didn't have the option. =P
But yeah, N9/N900 isn't capable of playing 1080p Youtube videos anyways. (as they are high profile H264)

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
The N9 GPU is the SGX530, a decent general-purpose graphics processor, similar to that used in the iPhone 3GS and iPhone 4 (and, of course, the same as used in the N900).
AIR it's not exactly the same as the N900, differences were outlined earlier in this thread.
Primarily die-shrink & higher clock-speed IIRC, but I think there's one or two other minor differences.

And as has been repeated several times in this thread already (not directed at you).
Eventually we may well get to 720p high-profile w/improved CODECS & overclocking.
It's been explained why there's little advantage to this on the phones screen...
But what's handy, is if it can be rescaled on-the-fly to native res, N9's hw can't do that.

Also it will be possible to do HD content playback/streaming via 802.11an + DLNA.
And there's an even better alternative for HD "output" that I'll be posting about soon.

Last edited by jalyst; 2012-02-08 at 19:51.

Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
(even the SGS2 has a better quality screen and size than N9)
Eh? This wasn't your opinion a few short months ago...
You felt it was slightly better overall, & not just the brightness.
What's changed.....

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
AIR it's not exactly the same as the N900, differences were outlined earlier in this thread.
Primarily die-shrink & higher clock-speed IIRC, but I think there's one or two other minor differences.
Exactly -- the N9's GPU is the N900's GPU, on a smaller die and with a higher clock. It's still the same GPU.

Also it will be possible to do HD content playback/streaming via 802.11an + DLNA.
Isn't that sort of thing already possible? I've been using a Samsung HDTV's USB input to play HD video from my N900 for some time now. In any case, using the phone as an external hard drive to a TV doesn't use the GPU at all, and so doesn't suffer the kind of problems with HD that playing files locally does.

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 835 | Thanked: 772 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Finland
Anyone here using Mediacoder to convert videos for N9? It would be nice if you could share your preset as I still couldn't figure out a working configuration even if I have h264 Baseline selected. What is the max supported bitrate?

Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
Exactly -- the N9's GPU is the N900's GPU, on a smaller die and with a higher clock. It's still the same GPU.
IIRC it's a different model name, & is "different" thanks to what you/I just said.
But pretty sure there's 1-2 other subtle differences beyond that, may dig up later if time.

Isn't that sort of thing already possible? I've been using a Samsung HDTV's USB input to play HD video from my N900 for some time now. In any case, using the phone as an external hard drive to a TV doesn't use the GPU at all, and so doesn't suffer the kind of problems with HD that playing files locally does.
I'm not referring to USB Mass Storage, which is similarly handy for vid playback externally.
Like the N900 the N9 does that, but it also now has native video streaming using DLNA.

The Following User Says Thank You to jalyst For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by jalyst View Post
Like the N900 the N9 does that, but it also now has native video streaming using DLNA.
Ah, I thought the N900 already had some DLNA support somewhere... I don't see why it should be that hard to do, I thought DLNA is just a layer on top of a conventional file transfer protocol. Maybe I'm wrong? I would think that any DLNA-capable TV is already quite able to do the rendering on its side, no need for the phone to process the data before sending it...