Posts: 237 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mittelfranken, Germany
Fairphone 2 has some external pins on the back. I understand, these are in fact USB 2.0 contacts. Since there is already being worked on porting sailfish. Would it be possible to adapt TOHKBD2 architecture to work with those FP2 pins?
Yes, I know that USB != I2C

Still, it would be nive to have a similar concept as with J1/TOHKBD2

The Following User Says Thank You to Amboss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 592 | Thanked: 1,603 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Berlin / Germany
Originally Posted by Amboss View Post
Fairphone 2 has some external pins on the back. I understand, these are in fact USB 2.0 contacts. Since there is already being worked on porting sailfish. Would it be possible to adapt TOHKBD2 architecture to work with those FP2 pins?
Yes, I know that USB != I2C

Still, it would be nive to have a similar concept as with J1/TOHKBD2
USB is not I2C, but indeed, in some cases it is simplier to connect a device over usb than over I2C.

Additional HW (and maybe also SW) will be needed to connect something to this extension pins.

We need to ask kimmoli and dirkvl about it...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to explit For This Useful Post:
Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
There are many usb-to-gpio chips around so it is no big deal to convert any of the nice TOH solutions to work over usb o the FP2.
As a bonus you will get much higher bandwidth, allowing for niceties like HIFI-audio TOH or high-resolution/high refresh e-ink display TOH...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 237 | Thanked: 502 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mittelfranken, Germany
... or all in one

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Amboss For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,464 | Thanked: 5,107 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Gothenburg in Sweden
Originally Posted by explit View Post
USB is not I2C, but indeed, in some cases it is simplier to connect a device over usb than over I2C.

Additional HW (and maybe also SW) will be needed to connect something to this extension pins.

We need to ask kimmoli and dirkvl about it...
That means FP2 has to support host mode since it is easier. And then connect a device with USB CDC or HID so that kernel detect is as a serial port (/dev/ttyUSBx or /dev/ttyACMx).

For example would be cool connect a STM32 or similar MCU to FP2.

There is a STM32F042(ARM CortexM0) smallest LQFP is 32 pin package with builtin USB(this 32 pin variant is USB device only there is variants with Host mode also but it is a bit more complex). there is also a 20pin TSSOP variant with USB.

STM32 has USB CDC and HID drivers for its MCU's.

With such MCU we could do much cool sensor stuff
http://www.st.com/content/st_com/en/...oductId=LN1823

Btw to Dirkvl https://github.com/dirkvl/FairPhone/...vertingTOHtoFP

do not use FTDI. Here is one of the reasons:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU66as4Bbds

Also FTDI is to high price. You get a real MCU like STM32 for similar price.

I personally will not support any OTH with FTDI hell.

Last edited by mikecomputing; 2016-09-14 at 19:37.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to mikecomputing For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by MutoSan View Post
Why because you think it can be hacked? Even a bank can be hacked now adays. seen just a few years back, when a group stole money virtualy. I do my payments over the mobile phone since years and check how much is still on the account. Because its faster I can scan the payment slipps and proceed with it right away. On the pc I would have to buy a payment slip scanner, which i didnt wanted so far.
2 Factor Authentication using the same device is broken by design. That's why. If you read the contract with your bank carefully I'm sure you find a paragraph where there's stated that they are not liable for any losses if you use the banking app and TAN on the same device.

And your example of a bank getting hacked is a totally different story. Simple as that.

The Following User Says Thank You to gaelic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 592 | Thanked: 1,603 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Berlin / Germany
Originally Posted by gaelic View Post
2 Factor Authentication using the same device is broken by design. That's why. If you read the contract with your bank carefully I'm sure you find a paragraph where there's stated that they are not liable for any losses if you use the banking app and TAN on the same device.

And your example of a bank getting hacked is a totally different story. Simple as that.
not in the Deutsche Bank if you use Mobile Tan (SMS Tan) on the confirmed phone number

The Following User Says Thank You to explit For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by explit View Post
not in the Deutsche Bank if you use Mobile Tan (SMS Tan) on the confirmed phone number
Same here: I can login and operate with every device having internet access, but then the action has to be confirmed with my registered phone number.

Edit:
Confirmed not only by a phone call, but also with a random number given by the bank after the operation has done.

The Following User Says Thank You to delmar For This Useful Post:
Yes, and there is the problem. If you get the SMS on the same device as your banking app it is a security risk. The main reason 2 factor authentication is regarded as secure is the usage of two separate devices. In case of theft or the loss of one device it is not harmful.

See for example here:

https://www.berliner-sparkasse.de/pr...mstan%2Ffaq%2F

----
Kann das smsTAN-Verfahren auch in einer Mobile-Banking-Anwendung
(z. B. mit Smartphones) genutzt werden?

Nein. Die Sicherheit des smsTAN-Verfahrens ergibt sich aus der Trennung von Online-Banking-PC und Empfangsgerät für die smsTAN.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to gaelic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 459 | Thanked: 669 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ The DMV
I'm planning on giving this a go soon. My device is currently on FP Open 16.09. Is it recommended that I downgrade down to 16.06 before installing the SFOS image?

The Following User Says Thank You to klinglerware For This Useful Post:

Tags
android, fair phone, fairphone2