I am facing some wired problem here. For some reason, my hilldon-desktop will crash (if not mistaken it is hildon-desktop).

Now when that happens, all my widgets and gadgets all stop responding to the touch. I can still slide around to my other desktops but nothing will respond. More over it wont self terminate so the only way to get it all to work is to restart the phone.

Another wired thing is that, all applications will respond when they are run-ed from inside the main application list.

Now this all started happening recently. Earlier i was running my N900 @ 1Ghz and had no problem. Then this started happening, so i decieded to Soft format my Phone (use Nokia updater to reinstall the OS). I have a strong feeling that it is caused my some application, but i do not know which one.
I have currently over 200 different Apps and 120 of them are used frequently and over 60 of them on all my desktops.

So i will leave it to you guys to just tell me which are the problematic apps.

Pls Help me T___T!

Last edited by Nyx; 2010-12-28 at 06:21. Reason: Changed to appropriate Tittle.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nyx For This Useful Post:
Posts: 909 | Thanked: 216 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bremen, Germany
afaik this is a known bug. i get this every now and then as well, but i'm still not sure what exactly triggers this bug, seems quite random to me right now.
the only thing that fixes this for me is rebooting the device.

i dont have my n900 overclocked and i never had.

The Following User Says Thank You to msa For This Useful Post:
It is not hildon-desktop crashing, but hildon-home that runs a desktop widget that does not return to hildon-home, thus preventing hildon-home from doing anything else, such as running other widgets.

The usual culprits, as I understand, are DCEW and queenbeecon, but other desktop widgets might also be the reason for the behaviour you see.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
I do not have DCEW or QueenBeecon installed. Has Msa said earlyer, it is totally random. It just happens with out warning. Is there any known fix for this other then restarting the phone? I'm not saying that restarting the phone is a big deal, but when running on 1Ghz every reboot eats up around 8-10% of the battery. I'm not joking it is really that much.

You are wrong. Reboot does not take that much, regardless of the frequency in use. It is physically impossible for the N900 to use so much power during the short time a reboot takes.

The known fix is to find the problematic desktop widget and disable it.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 330 | Thanked: 483 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Norwich, UK
I used to have this problem.

Uninstall the conversations widget and media player widget.

fAircrack (Aircrack GUI): Point-and-click pwnage for your N900
Now with John the Ripper integration

Posts: 212 | Thanked: 66 times | Joined on May 2010 @ India
I too have this problem.but i can access my apps from main menu icon . good thing is after i live this situation for some time it starts responding again.occasionally i get the message that hildon-home is not responding.i close it even during a call and nothing happens.i habituated to this behaviour but i have never rebooted.

Originally Posted by Nyx View Post
I do not have DCEW or QueenBeecon installed. Has Msa said earlyer, it is totally random. It just happens with out warning. Is there any known fix for this other then restarting the phone? I'm not saying that restarting the phone is a big deal, but when running on 1Ghz every reboot eats up around 8-10% of the battery. I'm not joking it is really that much.
no it doesn't . mines runnning at 1.15 and it doesn't.
i suggest you getting your battery tested out!

Posts: 355 | Thanked: 395 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ USA
Try this in xterm with root privileges.

Code:
# May lose all widgets but short cuts should still be in order.
killall hildon-home
# But may issue a REBOOT.
killall hildon-desktop

Last edited by humble; 2010-12-26 at 13:04. Reason: too many L's

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 483 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Norwich, UK
Originally Posted by humble View Post
Try this in xterm with root privileges.

Code:
# May lose all widgets but short cuts should still be in order.
killall hildon-home
# But may issue a REBOOT.
killall hildon-desktop
This normally removes all non-default shortcuts and widgets, but luckily it remembers the location and configuration of each so when you re-add them they will return to where they were

fAircrack (Aircrack GUI): Point-and-click pwnage for your N900
Now with John the Ripper integration