Poll: How Should We Compensate Our Developers?
Poll Options
How Should We Compensate Our Developers?

Posts: 500 | Thanked: 437 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Oklahoma
Recently a community developer released a wireless driver patch that allows, among other things, packet injection. The developer is requiring a donation of no fixed amount to receive the software. It does not reside in the usual repositories. Agree or disagree with the reasons for this it is not the only model for receiving donations I've seen.

Another major break-through piece of work in this community was fral's fMMS. Frals requested donations on his blog and released the software into the repositories. This worked for me. I got the software (started with version 0.32) and he got a donation.

A lot of what is done in this community is based on trust. We trust that there was a non-payment situation with this developer and the packet-injection feature requestor. I am tickled to see absolutely no one called this into question. I believe the developer should trust that this community will donate for his work if they have it, use it and see the value of it. But I may be damning the developer to a life of uncompensated work with this attitude.

I throw this out for discussion here so as to not bog down the wireless driver thread any more than it already is with discussion of donation models, payment schemes and the like.

So, how to compensate our hard working developers?

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to tzsm98 For This Useful Post:
Get a job?

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
good to see grumpy guts joined in the conversation....
(Edit, not aimed at tzs, just in case you thought!!)
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

Last edited by noobmonkey; 2010-12-29 at 22:34.

The Following User Says Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
Banned | Posts: 358 | Thanked: 160 times | Joined on Dec 2010
Maybe in China!

Posts: 1,062 | Thanked: 961 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Boston, MA
develop in Qt and port your app to android/symbian/iOS. maemo is not the place to be if you want to make money. meego is another story, but that marketplace still has yet to be defined.

Sick of your cell signal not reconnecting after coming out of a bad signal area? Vote for this bug.

The Following User Says Thank You to cfh11 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,141 | Thanked: 781 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Magical Unicorn Land
Perhaps of interest, old thread about a proposed integrated donation system for community apps from maemo-dev mailing list:

http://lists.maemo.org/pipermail/mae...ry/023980.html

edit: accidentally linked to reply not OP. fixed

Last edited by stlpaul; 2010-12-30 at 04:48.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to stlpaul For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
How about setting up a fund and paying developers for each version that gets promoted to the extras repo a value that is decided based on the fund's finances and how many packages are being promoted each month?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TiagoTiago For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,225 | Thanked: 3,822 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Florida
@OP: I did consider the possibility that he was BS'ing us all, and for all we know, he coded the driver, got countless amounts of money, and has a millions-a-year paying job. But either we give the benefit of the doubt to everyone, or we apply the same standard to everyone, and spend every forum post including paragraphs of "now if you're bullshitting, and ____ is actually the truth, then ...". There's a time and a place for such discussion, and this is a good enough place, but unless someone want to take their hacking skills, track down lxp and find out if his situation is really what he says it is, there's little point in just saying "but it's possible you're lying". The people who can maturely contemplate each possibility (instead of just jumping on one or the other) rarely need to tell each other that X-possibility-is-possible.

As for payment options, I like Tiago's fund idea - though some damn good, optified, and stable apps don't make it out of devel... I suppose it could be insentive though.

However, I don't think many people would donate to the fund... Or like an equal distribution scheme (I think it's a great idea, but people might object on the grounds of wanting to donate do a specific project - though they can donate out-of-fund of course, but that's the point. You need enough people donating in-fund for it to be viable. At the end of the day, I like the standard model. Software in repos, donate links for those who want to donate. If the fund model can be implemented, it's a wondeful idea, but it needs to keep momentum, and have some form of accountability and transparancy that can be enforced.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mentalist Traceur For This Useful Post:
I would go for the fund / trust idea. Perhaps joint thing with Meego? (Clearly needs some detailed thinking)

Good, finalized and polished apps / drivers / ? would be awarded ie. four times per year. It would create healthy competition but would allow not-so-ready apps to be developed and distributed also. And would give the dev the opportunity to ask for a donation.

in the case of wifi patch; he is not really asking for a donation but a payment

Posts: 961 | Thanked: 565 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Tyneside, North East England
Errm, isn't there already a system for paid-for apps called Ovi store?

I dont' have an issue with paying for software which I am going to use, and where the software does what I want, and is of good quality ie. doesn't crash frequently, is attractive, and works without killing the battery in an hour or so..

I have bought licences for Gravity and BestProfiles on symbian, and Wayfinder, and Sygic on Maemo for example.

Nokia 770 (2gb) since Aug 2007
Nokia N800 (32gb) since Dec 2007
Nokia N810 (16gb) since Sep 2009
Nokia N900 (64gb) since Aug 2010 ______________________________

The Following User Says Thank You to gazza_d For This Useful Post: