So I have an N810 that I don't really use anymore, but I'm running Quiver on it as a digital picture frame.

Slight problem though, it seems like both my original and spare batteries are somewhat dead (original is swollen, replacement has lower capacity), and causing the tablet to reboot randomly.

Is there a way I can avoid the reboot other than getting a new battery? BP-4Ls aren't exactly cheap...

It is a simple bug in BME that was fixed by Nokia, but they don't want to share the fixed BME with us. The bug manifests when the battery gets too old, so its internal resistance becomes too high. Since you don't care about capacity, you can buy a 2$ battery on Ebay. It will have lower capacity than original battery, but it should not matter for your use case.

"N900 community support for the MeeGo-Harmattan" Is the new "Mer is Fremantle for N810".

No more Nokia devices for me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
I haven't been following Maemo for some time... but what is BME? Is it in the boot ROM?

EDIT -- Never mind, I found it.

You can either get a BP-4L wall charger off ebay (this will help but only a temporary fix; allows you to fully charge the battery) or a knock-off battery off ebay. Not much else.

I'm not entirely convinced it's a full bug. What I've seen in the particular case of too high battery internal resistance, bme calls abort() rather than crashing. It could be deliberate.

From observing the charge process, it seems the charging circuitry would have issues or is simply not able to safely regulate the charge low enough to not cause a safety issue, so bme decides to abort.

using a slower charger helps anyway, because there's less current that the circuitry needs to try throttle.

Originally Posted by shadowjk View Post
I'm not entirely convinced it's a full bug. What I've seen in the particular case of too high battery internal resistance, bme calls abort() rather than crashing. It could be deliberate.

From observing the charge process, it seems the charging circuitry would have issues or is simply not able to safely regulate the charge low enough to not cause a safety issue, so bme decides to abort.

using a slower charger helps anyway, because there's less current that the circuitry needs to try throttle.
I'm using an original Nokia charger right now... should I find one a slower one?

Posts: 139 | Thanked: 38 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ mid gulf coast florida
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
I'm using an original Nokia charger right now... should I find one a slower one?
Have you tried with a different charger? If it is as old as the tablet it may not be operating properly.

Originally Posted by n9ots View Post
Have you tried with a different charger? If it is as old as the tablet it may not be operating properly.
I'm pretty sure it's the battery. I first encounted the random resets with my factory battery, that got swollen and did it whenever the battery is low. My aftermarket battery started doing it recently, probably because of the reduced charge. It has 1300mAh (compared to original 1500mAh) to start with so probably it dipped lower now.

Posts: 42 | Thanked: 18 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Fairport, NY, USA
I just bought a new battery for $15 shipped to my house from Amazon. That's not exactly what I would call expensive. Of course, that's in the US.

Posts: 1,101 | Thanked: 1,184 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Spain
Originally Posted by ToniCipriani View Post
So I have an N810 that I don't really use anymore, but I'm running Quiver on it as a digital picture frame.

Slight problem though, it seems like both my original and spare batteries are somewhat dead (original is swollen, replacement has lower capacity), and causing the tablet to reboot randomly.

Is there a way I can avoid the reboot other than getting a new battery? BP-4Ls aren't exactly cheap...
You can connect the N810 to a 3.8 V DC power supply, but need to put a 120 K resistor between the - and the uppermost battery pin.
See this web page: http://bu3sch.de/joomla/index.php/no...serial-console