Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
Just thought it might be useful, as we all know (space required for firmware update) how important rootfs space can be, to list the apps that use a lot of root space.
I always now check root before and after installing anything and if I think the space used is too costly then it's either uninstalled or I note it down, should I suddenly need space for later updates.

An example of this:- Today I installed Tunewiki which used 9mb of root, which I think is too much, so I uninstalled it.
Now somebody on here with more knowledge than me (shouldn't be too difficult to find) could explain why it uses so much but I think a simple list could help users that are short of space come the next update.
I'll start......

Tunewiki = -9mb Rootfs

Hi Dancairo, TuneWiki media player uses that space because of the dependancies it has with some Qt libraries (not optified libraries, of course).

If you are interested in knowing which application is filling up your poor rootfs, maybe you should install Storage Usage. It has a very nice function, the Package Scan, that tells you which are the not-optified packages and how much they occupy in your rootfs. Give it a try, it should be in Extras now.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to torpedo48 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 423 | Thanked: 486 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, England
Originally Posted by torpedo48 View Post
Hi Dancairo, TuneWiki media player uses that space because of the dependancies it has with some Qt libraries (not optified libraries, of course).

If you are interested in knowing which application is filling up your poor rootfs, maybe you should install Storage Usage. It has a very nice function, the Package Scan, that tells you which are the not-optified packages and how much they occupy in your rootfs. Give it a try, it should be in Extras now.
Thanks Torpedo, I didn't know about the storage app - guess that means that this thread is redundant then!...er, unless it points others to 'storage' ;-)

one question, how much space does 'storage' use lol

Dan

Posts: 138 | Thanked: 43 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Vancouver Island, Canada
Originally Posted by torpedo48 View Post

Thanks for recommending Storage Usage. This is a very cool looking program...and useful too!

Posts: 253 | Thanked: 184 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Bristol, UK
With Storage Usage, if I do a "Scan Root", it -doesn't- just scan the root filesystem. Instead, it descends into /home, /home/user/MyDocs, /proc etc etc... so it is actually useless to determine how much space is used on the root FS!

That aside, it's really useful.

Here is the link for Storage Usage (the actually Extras version):
http://maemo.org/downloads/product/Maemo5/storageusage/

As you can see in the screenshot, non optified packages and files are red coloured, while optified are green. Remember that you don't have to worry for red files (they do not need to be optified, unless you have personally put it in rootfs, then you should remove them from there and put them in MyDocs), but only for red packages.

Originally Posted by spanner View Post
With Storage Usage, if I do a "Scan Root", it -doesn't- just scan the root filesystem. Instead, it descends into /home, /home/user/MyDocs, /proc etc etc... so it is actually useless to determine how much space is used on the root FS!

That aside, it's really useful.
Maybe it's useles to determine the rootfs free space, but it's very helpful for finding what it's filling it up.